Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2022, 07:33 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
As someone else already said, if you're only going to pick candidates who come from a group that makes up about 7% of the nation's population, you're going to automatically bypass the vast majority of the qualified candidates. Also, the group that Biden wants to narrow his selection field to doesn't really dominate the legal field. Off the top of my head I can only think of one black woman in my law school graduating class.
The pool always comes down to a few nominees, was the federalist list for the last nominees the best in the nation, were qualifications at the forefront and not ideology. Seems like you can make the case for just about anyone, there is no shortage of judges in the courts.

Even though never stated in public the selection of white male Christians was always the priority, no one ever questioned why women and minorities were excluded. Qualifications never came into question, just ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 07:41 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I would HOPE that any appointee, left or right would at least know the law and be recognized as such...

You only get a Roberts level justice every 30 years or so. You only get a ACB level justice every 50 years or so.

Kamala Harris is NOT a legal scholar and demonstrates this each time she opens her mouth. She actually stands down as a legal professional, not out.

But to the OP, Breyer was told by a member of the Clinton foundation, take the out or else you are getting 'Scalia-d'. He took the out.

I would like to amplify my post and address the posts since...I would also hope that in the senate, we would see vote that would soundly reject any nominee whose purpose is to blow the place up (and no I dont mean in the terrorist way)

WE should be able to count on Manchin and Sinema. Both are D's living in R's world so they have to function rationally. Manchin keeps telling us that there are others who feel the same way, but unlike bills which affect all americans at the pocketbook immediately, USSC picks are stealth weapons. It could take a while to feel the catastrophic effects of a liberal pick. Hence, they get to hide behind Manchin and Sinema. cowards.

Since Bidens pick is advertised (by him) to be based only on race and sex, we have set the bar low and have low hopes.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Obama is NOT going to be nominated to the supreme court nor would he accept it it if he were. Harris wont have to vote, there are plenty of Republicans who will vote to confirm Harris, this is a net zero gain for Dems, Republicans aren't going to fight this very hard. In addition, it helps pacify the court stacking brigade for a bit.
Harris would be confirmed with only feigned resistance.
Being "Willie Brown's mistress" is not a qualification for the Supreme Court. I know Harris has "failed up" her entire career, but this is a bridge too far.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:48 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
judicially she "sounds better" (that swing vote comment). But my gosh, she's only been a judge for 7 years, and not at the Federal level. At least Barrett was Federal level.
That's the problem with pigeonholing yourself by making this only about race and sex, severely limiting the choices available for a judge. If you want to buy a car, and you limit your choices so that it must be a back car with green pin striping, and red bench seats in both front and back, then the car you end up with might not be a good car, but it's all you could find

Old 01-27-2022, 11:20 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
They will give Biden his Marxist nominee. Maybe not the first few, but after Biden's first two choices look like Stalin and Mao, then the moderate Marxist doesn't look so bad.
If Democrats stick together on this (if they don't, the result might be humorous), Republicans have no power to stop them/stop the first choice.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:22 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
I think it is a little too latein Biden's term for him to pick a Supreme Court Judge. Whoever wins the next Presidential election should be the one to fill the seat.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:22 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You misspelled Sotomayor.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:25 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
I just hope that the Republicans treat the nominee as bad as the Democrats did during their confirmation hearings.
yup, I hope they want their grades from Kindegarten...and hopefully they can drag in an elementary teacher or two.

After what the put Kavanaugh through, they should delay this as long as possible with an FBI investigation with witness statements and testimony

Old 01-27-2022, 11:27 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Favorites: Kantaji Brown Jackson (D.C. Cir.), Leondra Kruger (Calif. Sup. Ct.). Longshot: VP Kamala Harris.
Two things here...first Nominating some one just because of their skin color is racist. Second: I could care less who Biden nominates as long as that person is the most qualified. Trading one liberal for another will not change the court makeup.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:29 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
yup, I hope they want their grades from Kindegarten...and hopefully they can drag in an elementary teacher or two.

After what the put Kavanaugh through, they should delay this as long as possible with an FBI investigation with witness statements and testimony
If Biden nominates a black women there will be little scrutiny because it would be considered racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies