Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 03:05 AM

927 posts, read 586,883 times

Advertisements

It's pretty clear (except for the most bonehead diehard leftie) that forums, especially after Jan 6th, have expanded their 'No No' word lists to thousands of pages long. YT has like 4,000 banned words or something along those lines and instead of helping you be better your blocked and don't even know it till your logged out which is worse then actual ban that other forums do.

Therefore you are not going to generate anything more then 'LOL' type comments and behavior which is actually the safest thing to do now. Educating anybody why they are wrong or acting like a fool is SIMPLY out of the question as you'll receive nothing but headaches and a slap to the on their BEST days.

For some reason forums don't mind not growing the last several years and it's mostly the same users over and over generating the same topics that are mostly LOL type answers that barely cover whatever the topic was about. I gave up on forums after circling the wagons. Hopefully a better digital age will appear in 2024 or perhaps after the great reset.

Not sure where to post this that it would get seen the best.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-28-2022 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Moved thread to P&OC; edited title for clarification.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:21 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
It's pretty clear (except for the most bonehead diehard leftie) that forums, especially after Jan 6th, have expanded their 'No No' word lists to thousands of pages long. YT has like 4,000 banned words or something along those lines and instead of helping you be better your blocked and don't even know it till your logged out which is worse then actual ban that other forums do.

Therefore you are not going to generate anything more then 'LOL' type comments and behavior which is actually the safest thing to do now. Educating anybody why they are wrong or acting like a fool is SIMPLY out of the question as you'll receive nothing but headaches and a slap to the on their BEST days.

For some reason forums don't mind not growing the last several years and it's mostly the same users over and over generating the same topics that are mostly LOL type answers that barely cover whatever the topic was about. I gave up on forums after circling the wagons. Hopefully a better digital age will appear in 2024 or perhaps after the great reset.

Not sure where to post this that it would get seen the best.
I know, you are referring to the quality of the posts. I prefer to post on a news website where you are commenting on news articles above rather than social media. If a news website sends me to Facebook or Twitter to comment, for example, I stop read their content altogether. Also, I stop posting to sites with a million rules for commenting. Who can bother to keep them all straight? And I don't appreciate some jerk employee telling me my opinion is false information. It's not news, it's an opinion but most of these people who monitor content don't know the difference so I can't be bothered with them.

My camera club uses Facebook to post club info and photography chit chat but I refuse to join Facebook. 1) I don't feel like chit chatting. 2) Initially, I didn't trust them with my data. 3) Now I don't like their censorship ways, either. But you know what I really hate? The people who grovel for Twitter or Facebook to take them back after they are banned.

As far as censorship goes, sometimes you don't even know who is stopping the posts, the people that sponsor the comments like Disqus or the site itself (some news site). I never realized I talked in censorship language that some robo editor stops until a human can review it. I use the words "kill" and "target" a lot as in "He really killed it" when describing some some show biz-type performance or political speech. The robo editor has no idea of the context in which the word "killed" is being used. "Target" gets my posts about TV ratings and demographics stopped all of the time as in, "I think they are targeting the 18 - 54 male demo with those beer commercials/political ads." The robo editor doesn't know I'm not talking about taking aim and killing somebody. By the time a human looks at it, the post is worthless as the thread is done. I had a post stopped for the word "gorilla" once. I don't know why the robo editor stopped it (could have been used after an awards speech) but I was using it to describe a braggart as in, "after he finished his speech, he beat his chest like a gorilla."

What really kills me is when you use the exact same word that is in some article's headline and your comment is stopped for using it...uh-oh, I just used "kills" again.

CD could use an "I'm just being sarcastic" smilie because there are a lot of people who don't recognize sarcasm or hyperbole to make a point. I usually offer them $5 to buy a sense of humor.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:51 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Yep. Not many issues are ever resolved in public forums where, "It's my way or the highway" moderation modes exist. It's like most government offices where agency names and goals, and sometimes even cubical walls inside an agency, separate trains of thought and prevent real solutions.

Like I once told a fellow at a folded-arm meeting of government officials, politicians, ranchers and environmentalists, "You guys and gals would accomplish more if you just brought sidearms to the next meeting and shot it out."

Then I retired.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:28 AM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
CD could use an "I'm just being sarcastic" smilie because there are a lot of people who don't recognize sarcasm or hyperbole to make a point. I usually offer them $5 to buy a sense of humor.

Sarcasm rarely comes through in the typed word.

If you were to say "I'm going to open a business selling widgets" and I were to respond

"That's a good idea"

If I SPEAK that to you.. It will be pretty obvious by my tone, inflection, facial and body expression whether I actually believe that's a good idea or if i'm being sarcastic. You can't tell that from the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Yep. Not many issues are ever resolved in public forums where, "It's my way or the highway" moderation modes exist. It's like most government offices where agency names and goals, and sometimes even cubical walls inside an agency, separate trains of thought and prevent real solutions.

Like I once told a fellow at a folded-arm meeting of government officials, politicians, ranchers and environmentalists, "You guys and gals would accomplish more if you just brought sidearms to the next meeting and shot it out."

Then I retired.

Think you all are talking about two different types of 'public forum'.

But.. HERE.. Which is a PRIVATE forum that allows anyone to access it. Rules are rules, parts are parts and dogs love cheese. It is what it is. When you join, there's that ToS that you agree to.

Normally.. People tend to have much larger grapefruits when they are anonymous.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:29 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Check out Reddit sometime if you want a glimpse at the dystopian hell that is coming.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:33 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Psst ... YouTube, Facebook, newspaper websites, City Data, et al are private companies who may operate their social media and discussion boards as they please. Don't like it? Start your own. Viva capitalism!

Old 01-28-2022, 12:25 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times
it'll eventually find its way here too, sadly.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I know, you are referring to the quality of the posts. I prefer to post on a news website where you are commenting on news articles above rather than social media. If a news website sends me to Facebook or Twitter to comment, for example, I stop read their content altogether. Also, I stop posting to sites with a million rules for commenting. Who can bother to keep them all straight? And I don't appreciate some jerk employee telling me my opinion is false information. It's not news, it's an opinion but most of these people who monitor content don't know the difference so I can't be bothered with them.

My camera club uses Facebook to post club info and photography chit chat but I refuse to join Facebook. 1) I don't feel like chit chatting. 2) Initially, I didn't trust them with my data. 3) Now I don't like their censorship ways, either. But you know what I really hate? The people who grovel for Twitter or Facebook to take them back after they are banned.

As far as censorship goes, sometimes you don't even know who is stopping the posts, the people that sponsor the comments like Disqus or the site itself (some news site). I never realized I talked in censorship language that some robo editor stops until a human can review it. I use the words "kill" and "target" a lot as in "He really killed it" when describing some some show biz-type performance or political speech. The robo editor has no idea of the context in which the word "killed" is being used. "Target" gets my posts about TV ratings and demographics stopped all of the time as in, "I think they are targeting the 18 - 54 male demo with those beer commercials/political ads." The robo editor doesn't know I'm not talking about taking aim and killing somebody. By the time a human looks at it, the post is worthless as the thread is done. I had a post stopped for the word "gorilla" once. I don't know why the robo editor stopped it (could have been used after an awards speech) but I was using it to describe a braggart as in, "after he finished his speech, he beat his chest like a gorilla."

What really kills me is when you use the exact same word that is in some article's headline and your comment is stopped for using it...uh-oh, I just used "kills" again.

A lot of liberals don't have humor so I am not sure that would be of much help? Most are on phones and look at things live which makes it even tougher to comment because your comment is down to page 5,000 1 min later. Nobody will see it. I don't know how the YT comments make it to the top on a given channel as they all post at the same time amazingly fast!

Old 01-29-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Then I retired.
That is pretty much what hobby forums have reduced too. It feels just like that you described. I feel like I'm stepping into a government facility. I think the government has ties to these forums now to keep it running and the original owner is either retired or dead.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:

Then I retired.
Issues are not resolved in public forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies