Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 08:00 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Geez. first the vaccine mandate forcing a citizen to choose between their job and the jab, now the IRS will require retina scans to access IRS online accts. Sure! Govt at its finest.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/irs-id-me-tax-file-2022/
You're apparently unaware of how many scammers hijack your tax return, grab the refund and run.

Lucky for me I typically owe 3-5k a year so unfortunately no takers on paying that for me lmao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 04:06 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Don’t like it? Don’t use it.

Don’t complain when security is breached and your identity is stolen.

BtW, the DMV has your picture and it’s likely your employer does too.

Same deal with many credit cards, too.
You're going to "don't like it, don't use it" yourself into totalitarianism. Once there, you won't have a choice.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:45 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You're apparently unaware of how many scammers hijack your tax return, grab the refund and run.
Perhaps the solution to that is very long prison sentences for those who do those crimes and beefed up enforcement.

But it seems the feds are focused on cracking down on gig people who hustle for a few extra bucks a year and subjecting all Americans to facial scans which violate our civil liberties.

Or better yet. Let's revisit simplifying taxes so they can be done on a post card as was promised a few years back. Too many are making money off this overly complicated tax system and needs to end.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:11 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
But yet people are more than willing to give the Federal Government more and more power over their lives in the name of progress. And who are they accountable to? No one.
Citizens are too frightened to stand up and do anything about it...if they even attempt such a thing, they are labelled 'domestic terrorists'...but American citizens DO have the ability to remove a govt from power completely, they just have to exercise that right.

For a long time now, the US govt has been more interested in protecting itself, rather than the country as a whole...when they say "national security"...(that really refers to security of the Govt, not the country)...

Our govt has tightly restricted citizens from owning full automatic firearms...but if a citizen breaks a major law, they can bet the Govt will use full auto weapons to capture and arrest them!

Old 01-30-2022, 04:36 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:

Lucky for me I typically owe 3-5k a year so unfortunately no takers on paying that for me lmao.
Im not unaware at all but using a private company to vouch for your identity to the federal govt is bizarre. Private companies get hacked. The feds are the ones that issue passports that prove you are a citizen! No Real ID required. So The feds cant prove to themselves that the filer is who they say they are? One computer not talking to another computer? Gee then we have other online tax software by private companies that can also be hacked. Just bizarre by the govt.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:09 PM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Or better yet. Let's revisit simplifying taxes so they can be done on a post card as was promised a few years back. Too many are making money off this overly complicated tax system and needs to end.
Or go one step further and replace all federal taxes with a federal consumption tax, aka The Fair Tax. Then even the IRS itself is eliminated.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:15 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Im not unaware at all but using a private company to vouch for your identity to the federal govt is bizarre. Private companies get hacked. The feds are the ones that issue passports that prove you are a citizen! No Real ID required. So The feds cant prove to themselves that the filer is who they say they are? One computer not talking to another computer? Gee then we have other online tax software by private companies that can also be hacked. Just bizarre by the govt.
Your concern of a private company being subject to hacking is not the same as the original concern expressed by the OP. That's a legitimate concern.

But in response to the fact the IRS would require a photo to prove ID -- this is not a new concept to govt.....

??? I would not be surprised to find out that the FEDS do in fact contract out the actual procedure of putting together the passport to private companies. There are thousands of private companies that are contracted by the federal, state and local government to handle what we would think as 'sensitive' material.

Only time my taxes got hacked -- here in South Carolina at the state level -- not by the private company I use to do my taxes.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:59 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
'REAL IDs' are a joke now, they have already been faked!

Over the summer, someone went into the DMV after hours and stole the REAL ID printer machine, they were covered head to toe in the video surv...can you imagine what that printer is worth on the street?!! WOW. They never did find the guy or recover the machine, so the 'integrity/security' of REAL IDs just went up in smoke.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:10 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
'REAL IDs' are a joke now, they have already been faked!

Over the summer, someone went into the DMV after hours and stole the REAL ID printer machine, they were covered head to toe in the video surv...can you imagine what that printer is worth on the street?!! WOW. They never did find the guy or recover the machine, so the 'integrity/security' of REAL IDs just went up in smoke.
How does one machine in one state make real ID’s go up in smoke?

Old 01-31-2022, 06:49 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:

That's me, too. I always structure my quarterly estimates so that I'm underpaid by about $1,000 or so at tax filing time. There's never any refund to steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies