Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 09:05 AM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

I don't know if he has the legal authority to do that, but I certainly understand where he is coming from. Who wants to see indoctrination literature like that in their libraries?

https://www.mississippifreepress.org...brary-funding/

Quote:
Ridgeland Mayor Gene McGee is withholding $110,000 of funding from the Madison County Library System allegedly on the basis of his personal religious beliefs, with library officials stating that he has demanded that the system initiate a purge of LGBTQ+ books before his office releases the money.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:23 AM

831 posts, read 333,220 times
While I COMPLETELY agree with the mayor's PERSONAL beliefs on the matter, the library is a PUBLIC place and it's PUBLIC funds aka ALL the citizens funds that go to it. It is up to librarians to put restrictions on certain books for certain ages and PARENTS do watch what their kids are checking out. I wouldn't want my library to censor what I could check out. If he doesn't want to read it then don't. There are THOUSANDS of books I have no interest in, in my library system so I just don't check them out! He is going too far and will lose this battle.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:24 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
He is a fool and this kind of ideology is a reason why we see higher suicide rates among LGBT individuals.

One of my good friends, a Taiwanese American medical doctor, recently tried to take his own life. In his own words, despite his great medical and educational success, he was viewed as his parents' "greatest disappointment" (their own words).

In my own household, my mother has kicked LGBT students out of her home school and shunned my own bisexual sister, who also went through several dark moments as a result of how she was treated.

His is the kind of nonsense that I cannot and will not support. From where I stand, there is nothing wrong with pro-LGBT books (or anti-LGBT books for that matter) in a public library. We aren't Saudi Arabia or Iran. We shouldn't be censoring literature. Hopefully, books like this will help let LGBT individuals know that they aren't alone and that there is some hope for them.

If you don't like LGBT books, don't read them. If you're afraid of your children reading them (), provide better supervision of your kids.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:02 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know if he has the legal authority to do that, but I certainly understand where he is coming from. Who wants to see indoctrination literature like that in their libraries?

Indoctrination
So are you saying the only reason you are not gay is because you haven’t read the right book…yet?

Old 01-30-2022, 10:05 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:

Why not?

The liberals have eliminated classics like Mark Twain and other authors. So if the libs get rid of classics, why not get rid of trash?

Old 01-30-2022, 10:14 AM

7,149 posts, read 4,743,435 times
If leftists can dumb down kids by removing classics, the right has a responsibility to smarten them up by removing garbage.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:14 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:

Hopefully local teens will do what teens did in Kutztown PA
https://www.readingeagle.com/2022/01...ned-book-club/

Old 01-30-2022, 10:18 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why not?

The liberals have eliminated classics like Mark Twain and other authors. So if the libs get rid of classics, why not get rid of trash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
If leftists can dumb down kids by removing classics, the right has a responsibility to smarten them up by removing garbage.
Two wrongs don't make a right. Also, this is the public library, not a school library.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:18 AM

8,341 posts, read 2,967,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
He is a fool and this kind of ideology is a reason why we see higher suicide rates among LGBT individuals.

One of my good friends, a Taiwanese American medical doctor, recently tried to take his own life. In his own words, despite his great medical and educational success, he was viewed as his parents' "greatest disappointment" (their own words).

In my own household, my mother has kicked LGBT students out of her home school and shunned my own bisexual sister, who also went through several dark moments as a result of how she was treated.

His is the kind of nonsense that I cannot and will not support. From where I stand, there is nothing wrong with pro-LGBT books (or anti-LGBT books for that matter) in a public library. We aren't Saudi Arabia or Iran. We shouldn't be censoring literature. Hopefully, books like this will help let LGBT individuals know that they aren't alone and that there is some hope for them.

If you don't like LGBT books, don't read them. If you're afraid of your children reading them (), provide better supervision of your kids.
The left removes literature they don’t like so I’d tell him, have at it. If you don’t like Mark Twain don’t read it. The left are hypocrites.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:19 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
While I COMPLETELY agree with the mayor's PERSONAL beliefs on the matter, the library is a PUBLIC place and it's PUBLIC funds aka ALL the citizens funds that go to it. It is up to librarians to put restrictions on certain books for certain ages and PARENTS do watch what their kids are checking out. I wouldn't want my library to censor what I could check out. If he doesn't want to read it then don't. There are THOUSANDS of books I have no interest in, in my library system so I just don't check them out! He is going too far and will lose this battle.
Same. People who ban books, podcasts, information, etc., are never on the right side of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies