Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 09:19 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

'Unjust?'

Typical entitled mentality, oh how terrible it must be for them to learn the language of the country they leech off of.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...ing-rise-again
Quote:
“I feel nervous, but at the same time I feel annoyed because the moment you sit down in the chair and open the laptop for the exam, you see the huge mountain of questions all in English,” Karen, who speaks Spanish and who asked to use her first name only. “You look at it, and you feel like ‘Wow,’ how will I do this?’ The teachers can only help by giving us a dictionary, but we will never finish if we have to translate the entire test word by word. It’s why I’ve failed before.”

“I feel like [the test] is unjust, if it keeps me from graduating,” said Karen, who arrived in the United States from Honduras three years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 09:46 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Too bad, too sad. If they are here illegally, then they need to leave. They have no business being here and have some nerve complaining about the test.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:26 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Can't they use a translate program or something? I see no reason that not knowing English fluently, if you've only recently arrived, should stand in the way of showing your knowledge. Of course if you want to attend a US University after this you'd best learn fast because I wouldn't extend this beyond the first couple years here. It should be priority #1 to learn English so you can participate in society without "othering" yourself and claiming victimhood forever.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:31 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
The government is begging these people to come here. Of course they are going to come with a list of demands.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:10 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It should be priority #1 to learn English so you can participate in society without "othering" yourself and claiming victimhood forever.
Victimhood is exactly why these people are not encouraged to learn English. The "student" in the article had a 4.0 GPA. How do you get a 4.0 GPA without learning even basic English?

Just one more indication that the public education system is a total failure, as they would have had to "enable" her for the last 3 years by doing things that didn't require her to actually learn the language. This of course means that certain groups can hold them out there as "victims" who need "special treatment".

When I have traveled to other countries, I have tried to learn the language even though I may only be there for a week or so. Not perfect but gets me by, these people have been in the US for years.

But I don't think the real goal is to make these tests available in different languages, it is to get rid of the tests. The last thing educators of today want is another indication that they are failing.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Too bad, too sad. If they are here illegally, then they need to leave. They have no business being here and have some nerve complaining about the test.
I thought it was required to read and speak English to legally immigrate to the United States. We don't need illiterate peasants.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:18 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvStrange View Post
It is a democracy.
She probably still wants to be able to use the lempira at the local 7/11.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:19 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvStrange View Post
I mean they’ll learn English fully because they’ll have to. U til then they’ll need to pass. I’m assuming these are newly arrived immigrants?
I would assume that they are illegal aliens here that only know Spanish. Illegal aliens aren't plain ole immigrants.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The government is begging these people to come here. Of course they are going to come with a list of demands.
Next the will be demanding free leaf blowers and mops.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:48 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
I don't believe Karen is her real name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies