Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2022, 08:48 AM

8,319 posts, read 3,955,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
First time I ever heard about "no knock" warrants was years ago in KC,Ks, Police kicked in a front door and then the bedroom door without announcing themselves. Homeowner, who had been asleep, reached for a gun and the cops killed him. Turned out, they were at the wrong address. They killed a family man with kids. Nothing was ever done to the cops. The family got no money. It all happened because they read the address wrong.
Yeah that's the problem here, the no-knock warrant. That is something that should be rarely used. For example if there is a terrorist suspected of having a bomb or other weapon of mass destruction.

In this case, the guy was wanted for murder as I understood it. Instead of forcibly entering and precipitating a confrontation that ended up with the suspect dead, it should have been a knock on the door that would probably have ended in either a surrender or a standoff.

I did see where the Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey is suspending no-knock warrants, better late than never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 08:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,680,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
So some thug kicks your door in at 0300 and yells "police!" And you have a gun and can't see who it is. Do you trust someone who kicked your door in at 3am?

No-knock is damn bad policy. The sooner gone, the better.
The question police really need to answer is why they are serving these warrants in the middle of the night! Geez. Its makes police look very suspicious.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:49 AM

927 posts, read 591,225 times
If you take deeper pharmacy science and actually understand how the drugs affect the mind then you'll understand why it's so bad for you and often you don't realize the dangers involve. I'm not going to explain any further as nobody will understand what I post.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:50 AM

19,750 posts, read 10,188,899 times
No knock warrants are a home invasion. They should be illegal. The cops can kill you and it is ok. You shoot one of them and you are arrested.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:50 AM

15,079 posts, read 10,155,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Dude had a gun in his hand.

When they opened the door they shouted "Police! Get your hands up!", etc.

Looks like a justified shoot to me. <shrug>
* Not subject of the warrant

* Lawful gun owner

* Asleep on the couch

* No knock entry

* No criminal history.

* Police was already in the apartment before they announced themselves

This could have happened to any lawful gun owner and its wrong.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Yeah that's the problem here, the no-knock warrant. That is something that should be rarely used. For example if there is a terrorist suspected of having a bomb or other weapon of mass destruction.

In this case, the guy was wanted for murder as I understood it. Instead of forcibly entering and precipitating a confrontation that ended up with the suspect dead, it should have been a knock on the door that would probably have ended in either a surrender or a standoff.

I did see where the Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey is suspending no-knock warrants, better late than never.
The idea behind the no knock goes back to the 1960s when violent police shootings were rising and the idea stemmed of catching a suspect by surprise so they cannot reach for a weapon and get to that point of what you said 'standoff' that is not an option to the police. They want to be swift and fast.

To see how well it's done when done right look at Police Interceptors in the UK they have what's called the 'Big red key' it can open any locks and one time they busted thru and a guy had a huge machete and could've swung at the police but they were too quick and he had was ordered to put it down which he quicky complied and was allowed a cup of coffee while they inspected his place for weed.

Obviously we here in the US have a different situation as most have guns in which guns and police often do not go together well in the same sentence. It'd be nice if all suspects would likely own is a machete at best.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:53 AM

8,319 posts, read 3,955,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It has been well known for a long time, I’m talking 40 years that their cops are terrible. Back when the Vikings moved from the Met Stadium in Bloomington to the Metrodome in Minneapolis it was bad. Some friends and myself went to the opening game and got our little grille out and our cooler of beer to do a little tailgating. Minneapolis cops pull up, kick our grille over and cuss at us and tell us they aren’t putting up with us tailgating. One guy had his hand on his baton like they were going to beat us too. We were 20 years old and didn’t talk back. They were really bad, I had never seen anything like that. I can’t imagine what black people were dealing with back then from them.
Yeah unfortunately that is at the root of a lot of these abuses of power by police. A culture that actively promotes it. The big city departments get all the news, but out in rural areas there is plenty of corruption and good old boy syndrome. Some of them are more like gangs than police departments.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The question police really need to answer is why they are serving these warrants in the middle of the night! Geez. Its makes police look very suspicious.
Because most bad guys are usually passed out then so it makes for a swift entry when they are brain fogged and out of it. Most party the evening before and are usually at a deep REM sleep and often don't know what the hell is even going on and that's the best way to capture a high profile suspect instead of shooting it out.

I can't believe how many people on here are not putting on their thinking caps. I guess your Mac Coffee machine broke down at Mcdonalds today?

Old 02-05-2022, 08:57 AM

15,079 posts, read 10,155,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
Because most bad guys are usually passed out then so it makes for a swift entry when they are brain fogged and out of it. Most party the evening before and are usually at a deep REM sleep and often don't know what the hell is even going on and that's the best way to capture a high profile suspect instead of shooting it out.

I can't believe how many people on here are not putting on their thinking caps. I guess your Mac Coffee machine broke down at Mcdonalds today?
A lot of people (good people too) are asleep (ie passed out) at 6:48am in the morning.... It doesn't take much "thinking cap" to know that.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:58 AM

25,880 posts, read 16,598,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
* Not subject of the warrant

* Lawful gun owner

* Asleep on the couch

* No knock entry

* No criminal history.

* Police was already in the apartment before they announced themselves

This could have happened to any lawful gun owner and its wrong.
Anyone who loves freedom, the Bill of Rights and the Constitution should be disgusted by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies