Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 01:12 PM

10,913 posts, read 4,573,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
"Black History" is NOT CRT.

It doesn't become CRT until you CHANGE that history to fit a certain narrative.

If you have a "Black History Month" but disallow or treat another race or ethnicity differently, then yes that is racist.

Most ethnicities and races do have a "Heritage Month". I wonder how many people know, without looking it up, that October is German American Heritage Month. Or that May is Jewish Heritage Month?

Those groups are not pushing it in people's faces, in fact, if they did they would probably be called racist for doing so. You don't have businesses trying to cater to those groups of people by creating special advertising or statements. That is the difference.

when is american melting pot mutt month? cuz I wanna feel special.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:14 PM

28,685 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Why do we need a Black History MOnth? Its a good question... Isn't it all American History?
It should be, but it hasn't been. What did you learn in school about the Exodusters, for instance?

Old 02-08-2022, 01:20 PM

11,841 posts, read 5,823,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Hispanic Heritage Month gets PLENTY of attention. There are various ethnic celebrations all over the place. I find it very hard to believe that anyone hasn’t heard of it. I’m sure the majority of the population HAS heard of Hispanic Heritage Month.

Asian/Pacific Heritage Month gets less attention than the other two but it’s definitely celebrated.

Native American Heritage Month less so likely due to their small size. It’s unfortunate.

The holidays are definitely celebrated in the schools but perhaps certain areas choose not to do so. My mother worked in the school system for years and they’ve been celebrating all of these for awhile now. My friends who are teachers tend to post about them. Further, some jobs even hold events or send out emails for these months.

Most people know about other heritage months but some just act like they don’t at one time of the year.
Geez guess I'm not the majority. What I find problematic is that you think everyone knows because you know. Quit looking down on people - you want people to treat you with respect - you do the same. I asked multiple family members and friends if they knew about National Hispanic Month and only one did. Maybe it's the area we live in - the North East. Of course we're more into celebrating St Patty's Day and Dingus day with the large amt of Polish and Irish residents that settled up here.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:26 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
I don't pay attention to whatever months, or weeks or days are assigned to affinity groups.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:29 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,187,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Geez guess I'm not the majority. What I find problematic is that you think everyone knows because you know. Quit looking down on people - you want people to treat you with respect - you do the same. I asked multiple family members and friends if they knew about National Hispanic Month and only one did. Maybe it's the area we live in - the North East. Of course we're more into celebrating St Patty's Day and Dingus day with the large amt of Polish and Irish residents that settled up here.
Go back and read my comment. Nowhere did I make any such statement. Just because I believe the majority know there are other months doesn’t mean you and your circles are in that majority. Clearly you aren’t. You are the one who said that you don’t think the majority knows about other months. I disagreed. Don’t accuse people of looking down on you because they disagree with you.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:31 PM

1,952 posts, read 831,431 times
Some sections of our society might CLAIM that they want "equal treatment" but in fact, what they REALLY seem to want is SPECIAL treatment.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:51 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,196,511 times
Quote:
Why do we need a Black History MOnth? Its a good question... Isn't it all American History?
Have you been listening?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...negro-schools/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Some sections of our society might CLAIM that they want "equal treatment" but in fact, what they REALLY seem to want is SPECIAL treatment.
You can speak plainer than that. What's your beef, chief? That way we can have a discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I asked multiple family members and friends if they knew about National Hispanic Month and only one did. Maybe it's the area we live in - the North East. Of course we're more into celebrating St Patty's Day and Dingus day with the large amt of Polish and Irish residents that settled up here.
That's not exactly the objections you made as to Black History Month. You said that other groups were not celebrated -- it turns out they are. Now, the fact that you did not know this is someone else's fault? Now that you know of other celebrations do you still have a problem with Black History Month?

Old 02-08-2022, 06:11 PM

18,490 posts, read 8,314,397 times
Just as a frame of reference....

Jamilla Toussaint is the 2021 winner of the Miss Black America Pageant

..and even though there are black candidates in the Miss America Pageant...there are no white candidates in the Miss Black America Pageant

Old 02-08-2022, 06:18 PM

28,685 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Just as a frame of reference....

Jamilla Toussaint is the 2021 winner of the Miss Black America Pageant

..and even though there are black candidates in the Miss America Pageant...there are no white candidates in the Miss Black America Pageant
It was valid when it was first instituted, but it may indeed have outlived its usefulness.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:16 PM

32,095 posts, read 15,096,294 times
Quote:
Even if history was the only subject taught in schools, we would never learn everything about it because it's such a vast subject. Plus, history isn't taught every year. Schools are more focused on math and science. History is more focused on whites. Blacks don't get the recognition they deserve. Of course we all hear about Rosa Parks but there are so many others that we need to learn about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies