Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 05:29 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
When’s white history month?
^^^“It’s unfair that we recognize the accomplishments of Black people but never White Americans.”

When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression to some folks.
And in this redundant query regarding the absence of White History Month we see an absurd claim that to these folks, their privilege somehow is equality, because any attempt at real equality makes them very uncomfortable and off-balance and threatened.

That's what all your aggrieved whining is about, isn't it, erieguy? You fear the acknowledgement and celebration of Black American achievement in the story of America...you fear the equal inclusion of long overlooked Black history in American history. You fear the loss of privilege with any advancement or inclusion of Black Americans, don't you?

Calls to celebrate White history ignore that celebration of Whiteness is built into the very fabric of our day-to-day lives and our American story, along with the more overt celebrations in every history textbook. We proudly celebrate the accomplishments of American citizens who are White, every day in our American history. Throughout the United States' story we've institutionalized that celebration in the names of our states and towns and streets, our schools and universities, our prestigious awards, and again in textbooks that have long ignored the contributions of Black Americans. Recognizing & including achievements and celebrating the accomplishments of Black citizens makes our American history fuller & balanced and that equity does not diminish White citizens or American history. Martin Luther King Jr. said it best: "We have to see our story whole or we will all perish."

When you call for the celebration of White History you really are saying it's unfair to recognize the accomplishments of Black Americans in our American story. IMO you are just showing us your fear of what real equality would like due to the convergence of Black and White histories in these United States of America.

By the way, erieguy, what would the celebration of White Nationalism look like?

Last edited by corpgypsy; 02-06-2022 at 06:58 AM..

Old 02-06-2022, 10:01 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I'm glad someone was able to figure this out. It seems that any teaching of history now mentioning blacks could be banned due to the imprecise laws against teaching CRT.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...h-crt-schools/

Remember how conservatives whine that everything now is considered racist? Well, I guess some consider any mention of the history of blacks in the US is CRT and hurts their feelings.
Many blacks and many dems fought for "EQUAL" rights. That is all I want.

If we can have an entire month dedicated for blacks, why can't we do the same for whites?

There are thousand, probably TENS of thousands, of whites who did great things for this county and are NEVER recognized nationally.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I'm glad someone was able to figure this out. It seems that any teaching of history now mentioning blacks could be banned due to the imprecise laws against teaching CRT.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...h-crt-schools/

Remember how conservatives whine that everything now is considered racist? Well, I guess some consider any mention of the history of blacks in the US is CRT and hurts their feelings.
Have another source? Can't open wash post without subscribing.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…it’s extremely racist. Unfortunately, these folks can’t simply live life without trying to shove their feelings down folks throats and insist others should think and live like they do. On the bright side, it’s obvious many are over it as constantly crying wolf makes these folks be taken less seriously.
Imagine the outrage if someone started a WHITE Miss America? An Ivory magazine? A WHITE TV channel?
A white only movie channel? A WHITE college? etc., etc.,etc.!

I've said for YEARS, some day WE will have "equal" rights!

Affirmative Action is in direct violation of "equal" rights!

Old 02-06-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
"Black History" is NOT CRT.

It doesn't become CRT until you CHANGE that history to fit a certain narrative.

If you have a "Black History Month" but disallow or treat another race or ethnicity differently, then yes that is racist.

Most ethnicities and races do have a "Heritage Month". I wonder how many people know, without looking it up, that October is German American Heritage Month. Or that May is Jewish Heritage Month?

Those groups are not pushing it in people's faces, in fact, if they did they would probably be called racist for doing so. You don't have businesses trying to cater to those groups of people by creating special advertising or statements. That is the difference.
IMO, "ethnic" is different from "race"

Old 02-06-2022, 10:16 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Black History month became a thing in 1970 and yet when I was in school in the 60's we did reports on famous black American and their contributions to our country. Mine was on George Washington Carver - at that time there were no blacks in our school but this book was in the library and we spent a good amt of the yr talking about the Civil War - the hardships blacks endured and the prominent black scientists, educators and politicians. Have they deleted all that from the curriculum?

And yet I never received any sort of education on Asians or Hispanics in America besides the fact that the Chinese worked on the railroads and the internment camps during WWII. Blacks and Native Americans were the only races covered at that point.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
It's all year long
Where was the parade? The TV shows showing whites who have exceeded, etc.,etc., etc?

Old 02-06-2022, 10:19 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
^^^“It’s unfair that we recognize the accomplishments of Black people but never White Americans.”

When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression to some folks.
And in this redundant query regarding the absence of White History Month we see an absurd claim that to these folks, their privilege somehow is equality, because any attempt at real equality makes them very uncomfortable and off-balance and threatened.

That's what all your aggrieved whining is about, isn't it, erieguy? You fear the acknowledgement and celebration of Black American achievement in the story of America...you fear the equal inclusion of long overlooked Black history in American history. You fear the loss of privilege with any advancement or inclusion of Black Americans, don't you?

Calls to celebrate White history ignore that celebration of Whiteness is built into the very fabric of our day-to-day lives and our American story, along with the more overt celebrations in every history textbook. We proudly celebrate the accomplishments of American citizens who are White, every day in our American history. Throughout the United States' story we've institutionalized that celebration in the names of our states and towns and streets, our schools and universities, our prestigious awards, and again in textbooks that have long ignored the contributions of Black Americans. Recognizing & including achievements and celebrating the accomplishments of Black citizens makes our American history fuller & balanced and that equity does not diminish White citizens or American history. Martin Luther King Jr. said it best: "We have to see our story whole or we will all perish."

When you call for the celebration of White History you really are saying it's unfair to recognize the accomplishments of Black Americans in our American story. IMO you are just showing us your fear of what real equality would like due to the convergence of Black and White histories in these United States of America.

By the way, erieguy, what would the celebration of White Nationalism look like?
Hilarious assumptions, but please do post where I said it was unfair? I simply asked when White history month is, because equality.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
The reason for Black History Month was because the history of black people in America was lost, forgotten or ignored. If this is pushing it in people's faces, then I think at least it is an educable moment. Do non-minorities resent hearing about black history? I can tell you for a fact there was very little taught about the history of black folks in the US (other than the "Lost Cause") prior to the seventies.

What do all parents say when asked: "When is children's day?"
"the history of black people in America was lost, forgotten or ignored.

"I can tell you for a fact there was very little taught about the history of black folks in the US"

So, you personally investigated every single school district, every school every private school, etc, in America and examined their entire history in order to make this claim!

Amazing, simply amazing!

This is about the widest paint brushing I have ever heard of!

Old 02-06-2022, 10:23 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Imagine the outrage if someone started a WHITE Miss America? An Ivory magazine? A WHITE TV channel?
A white only movie channel? A WHITE college? etc., etc.,etc.!

I've said for YEARS, some day WE will have "equal" rights!

Affirmative Action is in direct violation of "equal" rights!
Bingo…Heads would explode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies