Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 10:32 PM

17,641 posts, read 6,918,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
After several days of bad news on the redistricting front, including a bad decision in North Carolina for the GOP-drawn map there, a big win has been delivered to Republicans. The US Supreme Court has ruled 5-4 to halt a lower court order in Alabama that it must redraw its previously passed Congressional map.
Quote:
As one of my RedState colleagues previously speculated, challenging the Alabama map on the grounds of the Voting Rights Act was a total miscalculation for Democrats. They were always an underdog in stopping the GOP map in Alabama, but worse for them, the court has also granted cert to the case, with a full decision likely to come in 2023. That decision is unlikely to be kind to those who want to keep weaponizing the VRA to produce Democrat-stacked maps while not allowing Republicans to gerrymander.
Link: https://redstate.com/bonchie/2022/02...h-blow-n518815

Excellent, except for Roberts proving again he's a spineless and worthless toad. Thanks Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 02:21 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
While I dislike gerrymandering by either party, I dislike move waving VRA around inappropriately.

Nice to see SCOTUS decision. This will have implications, Thank God, past Alabama.

Thank God POTUS Trump brought forth an unemotional new trio of justices to restore sanity at SCOTUS.

Old 02-08-2022, 06:14 AM

17,641 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
While I dislike gerrymandering by either party, I dislike move waving VRA around inappropriately.

Nice to see SCOTUS decision. This will have implications, Thank God, past Alabama.

Thank God POTUS Trump brought forth an unemotional new trio of justices to restore sanity at SCOTUS.
I'm not a fan of gerrymandering either.

That said, this Democrat approach of gerrymandering all of their states while screaming "racism" when the GOP gerrymanders theirs needs to end.

Old 02-08-2022, 06:26 AM

5,175 posts, read 4,949,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post

That said, this Democrat approach of gerrymandering all of their states while screaming "racism" when the GOP gerrymanders theirs needs to end.
I spotted one slight error in your post. It's only gerrymandering when the Repubs do it. When the Dems do it, it's "redistricting".

Old 02-08-2022, 06:31 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post

amen. but they'll NEVER stop shrieking 'racism!!'

Old 02-08-2022, 09:39 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,902,655 times
Nothing matches the redistricting the Dems pulled in New York last week.

They literally had one of the "districts" going out into the sea.

Even some Democrats were calling it out.

They can do all they like - the House and the Senate will soon be out of their hands.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:47 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post

They can do all they like - the House and the Senate will soon be out of their hands.
Texas may want a word with that....

Old 02-08-2022, 01:46 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
I thank God for Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:17 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post

Agreed. The NY redistricting, like district 10, was clear as a bell, that it's only about getting votes for candidates, and had nothing to do with serving the needs of the people of NY

Old 02-08-2022, 02:26 PM

6,995 posts, read 2,711,603 times
Districts should be determined by a strict grid system and let the chips fall where they may.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies