Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 08:23 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,788,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Every time I've seen cops intervene in a fight among two individuals, it is pretty normal to handcuff both individuals for the safety of the police officers. They usually state so and indicate that cuffs don't necessarily mean you are arrested. I find it suspect that the police officers wouldn't cuff both individuals. In fact, they both turn their backs to the white kid sitting on the couch. Who knows what he could end up doing... even take off. One officer who was near by the white kid on the couch had plenty of time to throw the cuffs on before assisting their partner.

Why would a police officer turn their backs to any unsecured individual who was just in an altercation?
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 08:36 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
For their safety. lol The cops have the gun. In this country one is innocent until proven guilty.
Being handcuffed doesn't equate to being proven guilty. They have the ability to restrain an individual temporarily and must remove them if no arrest is being made.

Having a gun is irrelevant. A gun is useless if your back is turned.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:58 AM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Every time I've seen cops intervene in a fight among two individuals, it is pretty normal to handcuff both individuals for the safety of the police officers. They usually state so and indicate that cuffs don't necessarily mean you are arrested. I find it suspect that the police officers wouldn't cuff both individuals. In fact, they both turn their backs to the white kid sitting on the couch. Who knows what he could end up doing... even take off. One officer who was near by the white kid on the couch had plenty of time to throw the cuffs on before assisting their partner.

Why would a police officer turn their backs to any unsecured individual who was just in an altercation?

I agree it's possible the female officer violated police procedure by leaving the teen uncontrolled with her back to him. However, I suspect in this instance it's considered a judgement call. She didn't view the teen as a threat and her partner needed assistance.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:08 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I agree it's possible the female officer violated police procedure by leaving the teen uncontrolled and turning her back on him. However, I suspect in this instance it's considered a judgement call. She didn't view the teen as a threat and her partner needed assistance.
I'm going to assume it was a judgement call... or failure to follow procedure and NOT racially motivated

However at 0:27 seconds you can see the teen on the floor hands behind his back with the officer on top of him. At that moment, you can see the teen on the floor wasn't putting up a fight. At 0:34, the other officer left the white teen, unsecured, to tend to the black teen on the floor.

Furthermore,

Just prior to 0:27 seconds around 0:24 mark, you can see the white teen was on above the black teen on the floor ready to throw more punches. Anyone coming into the scene at that moment would assume that the teen on his feet was a threat AT THAT MOMENT... the black teen on the floor was in a defensive position.

So if it was a judgement call, the lady cop failed to make the right judgement there...

Old 02-17-2022, 09:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
My guess is this comes down to a judgement call by the officer. The female officer left her suspect uncontrolled to immediately assist her partner.

The question then becomes would the female officer have done the same had the boy been Black? Would she still have left him uncontrolled or cuffed him before helping her partner.

If the officer says the reason she didn't cuff the boy is because she didn't see him a threat. And if the kid had been Black she would have done the same. Is this acceptable?

The mother of the Black kid wants the two officers sacked. But if both officers have a clean record do they have to go?
Quote:
I agree it's possible the female officer violated police procedure by leaving the teen uncontrolled with her back to him. However, I suspect in this instance it's considered a judgement call. She didn't view the teen as a threat and her partner needed assistance.
So the question becomes, why didn’t she perceive the other teen as a threat?
Some would argue that she, like many others, have so deeply internalized the perception of blacks as criminals that her reaction was automatic.
Essentially, it didn’t even occur to her that the other teen could be a threat.
Potentially dangerous thinking.

In any event, The NY Post has weighed in as only it can.
Had no idea knees were involved. Again.
Now that’s not a good look.

“With the black teen already on the floor, the male cop pins him down and places his knee on the boy’s back, the video shows.

The female officer then leaves the white teen alone and joins the male cop, also placing a knee near the back of the black teen’s neck as the two handcuff him.”

https://nypost.com/2022/02/16/nj-pol...-teen-watches/

Old 02-17-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So the question becomes, why didn’t she perceive the other teen as a threat?
Some would argue that she, like many others, have so deeply internalized the perception of blacks as criminals that her reaction was automatic.
Essentially, it didn’t even occur to her that the other teen could be a threat.
Potentially dangerous thinking.

In any event, The NY Post has weighed in as only it can.
Had no idea knees were involved. Again.
Now that’s not a good look.

“With the black teen already on the floor, the male cop pins him down and places his knee on the boy’s back, the video shows.

The female officer then leaves the white teen alone and joins the male cop, also placing a knee near the back of the black teen’s neck as the two handcuff him.”

https://nypost.com/2022/02/16/nj-pol...-teen-watches/
Perhaps based on his body language. She made a judgment call in order to assist her partner. If that's her answer is it acceptable?

That's fine and they are entitled to their opinion. But if the police officer has a clean record should she be fired for not cuffing the White kid?

The MSM? The narrative was set the day the video was released: The police officers played favorites because of race.

Last edited by john3232; 02-17-2022 at 09:37 AM..

Old 02-17-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I'm going to assume it was a judgement call... or failure to follow procedure and NOT racially motivated

However at 0:27 seconds you can see the teen on the floor hands behind his back with the officer on top of him. At that moment, you can see the teen on the floor wasn't putting up a fight. At 0:34, the other officer left the white teen, unsecured, to tend to the black teen on the floor.

Furthermore,

Just prior to 0:27 seconds around 0:24 mark, you can see the white teen was on above the black teen on the floor ready to throw more punches. Anyone coming into the scene at that moment would assume that the teen on his feet was a threat AT THAT MOMENT... the black teen on the floor was in a defensive position.

So if it was a judgement call, the lady cop failed to make the right judgement there...

You can be sure the police department has gone over the video frame by frame and both officers thoroughly questioned.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:04 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Perhaps based on his body language. She made a judgment call in order to assist her partner. If that's her answer is it acceptable?

That's fine and they are entitled to their opinion. But if the police officer has a clean record should she be fired for not cuffing the White kid?

The MSM? The narrative was set the day the video was released: The police officers played favorites because of race.
Of course she should be fired the white kid came up behind them, he could have been armed or tried to take her weapon a very dangerous situation that put her and the other officer at risk.
She did not see him as a threat because of his race. She didn’t even pat him down.
Her racism impairs her judgement to the point she is a danger to herself and fellow officers let alone innocent black citizens

Old 02-17-2022, 10:08 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
I hate when the media puts forth a scenario without full facts or context.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:10 AM

6,667 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I hate when the media puts forth a scenario without full facts or context.
need those likes and clicks!

It's a race to be first. Don't wanna be out-scooped.

Controversy is good for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies