Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support increasing school choice?
Yes: And it would help minorities. 80 57.55%
Yes: But I doubt it would help minorities much. 33 23.74%
No: Even though I think it would help minorities. 2 1.44%
No: And it wouldn't help minorities anyways. 24 17.27%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 09:27 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
how common though?

My kids are from "above average" to "top of the class". Neither one, in 22 total years of K-12 were asked to do such a thing. Neither one was paired in STEM where they HAD to do "all the work" because the other student(s) weren't capable of the work.

Now, should the schools differentiate (or more differentiation)? Have a GT/AP/IB curriculum with an aptitude requirement? Absolutely.

But to claim "Little Johnny finishes in 10 minutes and so the teacher makes him help little Juan the rest of the time" is simply not substantiated.
Negative. I've experience this myself. I was able to power through most in-class math assignments very quickly...........generally I was then given a nod from the teacher, who was absolutely awesome BTW - lucky to have had him every year in HS, to go, "help" other kids. Over those four years this occurred at least 100 times.

My son experienced roughly the same and to a leaser degree my daughter as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 09:34 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
I think it's about time that the mods create a sub forum under Politics and Other Controversies. We have Media/Elections/Illegal Immigrants. Time to add Racism. Why? I think there are many that are putting the racism subject on the back burner due to over saturation. It's a sad commentary when I say this because it IS such an important topic but it's so omni present, there are times when I want to get away from it.

Creating a new racism subcategory would help.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. The OECD PIAAC should be a HUGE wake up call. The US public education system is failing to develop US academic talent. That's clearly obvious by our top scorers (90th-percentile+) being 2nd from the bottom among first world countries, above only Spain.
My wife and I are fortunate, we were able to pull our son out of public elementary his 2nd grade year, our daughter never attended public K-12. Both emerged well ahead of their public school friends and quite frankly dominated in college (one B between them in college) and professional school.

I've said it before and been laughed at, US K-12 aggregated outcomes pose nothing short of a national security problem. DISD (Dallas TX) claims that 990 SAT is the threshold of college readiness. Through Johns Hopkins CTY our kids each scored significantly better than that as 5th and 6th graders respectively. I know that's just a data point but those defending the status quo should know their little word victories are pyrrhic in nature. The ship is going down by the head as it were.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:00 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
My wife and I are fortunate, we were able to pull our son out of public elementary his 2nd grade year, our daughter never attended public K-12. Both emerged well ahead of their public school friends and quite frankly dominated in college (one B between them in college) and professional school.

I've said it before and been laughed at, US K-12 aggregated outcomes pose nothing short of a national security problem. DISD (Dallas TX) claims that 990 SAT is the threshold of college readiness. Through Johns Hopkins CTY our kids each scored significantly better than that as 5th and 6th graders respectively. I know that's just a data point but those defending the status quo should know their little word victories are pyrrhic in nature. The ship is going down by the head as it were.
That's just sad. Most people could take the SAT cold after a case of whiskey and still score higher than that.

Before I read the bolded, I suspected public schools were a waste of money. Having read that, I know they're a waste of money.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:41 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:

Very well-stated. Indeed, it is.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
That's just sad. Most people could take the SAT cold after a case of whiskey and still score higher than that.

Before I read the bolded, I suspected public schools were a waste of money. Having read that, I know they're a waste of money.
You are right it is disgraceful. 990 is right at the 40th percentile.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:

990 is indeed good for college. Not great, and not getting scholarships for academics, but good. I think you are conflating the two. You can easily get into a state school with it.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
990 is indeed good for college. Not great, and not getting scholarships for academics, but good. I think you are conflating the two. You can easily get into a state school with it.
In this context I'm not confusing anything and I know 990 is good enough for admission into some school's lower end programs. Try leveraging a 990 into engineering, chemistry, math or any decent humanities program.

There is a direct line between very low scores and useless fluffy degrees.

IOW 990 being good enough underscores the problem.

_______

I'd also like to know success and failure metrics per test takers who score so poorly but end up in college............can't be good.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:13 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
That depends on the state school. Want to go to Purdue (state school in Indiana) for engineering? The average score for admissions is 1,430 (32 on the ACT). Want to go to Wisconsin? 1,370 (30 on the ACT). How about Illinois? 1,350 (29-30 on the ACT).

For comparison purposes, national average scores:

SAT: 1,051 -- Maximum score is 1600
ACT: 20.3 -- Maximum score is 36

990 on the SAT is below the national average and won't get you into a good school.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:15 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
If the baseline expectation that DISD is setting is a 990, considering many taxpayers pay 5 figures in school taxes alone, yeah I would call that absolutely pathetic.

No wonder Park Cities divorced from the City of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies