Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support increasing school choice?
Yes: And it would help minorities. 80 57.55%
Yes: But I doubt it would help minorities much. 33 23.74%
No: Even though I think it would help minorities. 2 1.44%
No: And it wouldn't help minorities anyways. 24 17.27%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 11:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
All colleges, even community colleges, publish their placement recommendations based on various test scores, etc., so everyone knows what to expect and exactly where their results place them.

The link to the chart I posted is from a college that has an average admissions ACT score of 22 (1100 on the SAT), close the the national average. So, it's an average state school, one in which it's easy to transfer community college credits. Apparently, you scored at the lowest level on the placement test if you had to take Math 092.
If you read the article I linked, you'd know that it is common for community college whether ACT or SAT scores were given or not to have placement recommendation tests dropped onto prospective students when enrolling. I was not in my first semester with a school when I got it (I wasn't given one at my previous college.) I was about three semesters in and I was an A/B student in math in high school and would continue to be a mostly A student in math in college. I was either A, not prepared for the placement test (which I wasn't) and/or B, the test was made hard to make a way for the college to get a second bite of the apple. I am not the only one to think that, I've seen it on the education forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 03:58 AM

7,614 posts, read 4,187,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
That's because the difference was stolen from someone else.

The amount coming out of their bank account. The money to fund schools is directly traceable to parents and taxpayers and does NOT involve an open market transaction.

That said, how dare taxpayers want to spend their own money where they see fit without government interference.

The most efficient way to do this isn't a voucher system, it's a user pays plus some kind of tax advantaged ed savings account. If the Gov't is hellbent on subsidizing it, they should contribute $$ directly to those accounts and dispense with the bureaucracies that add, at best, exactly zero dollars of value and, at best, incinerate truckloads of taxpayers' money.
That's an idea. Thank you for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It depends on how one wants to view the situation.

If the parent who wants that money to be portable is already paying in more than the ported/moved amount, then, effectively, none of your money is going to that perspn's 'free choice'.
How do they calculate the ported/moved amount?

I just checked the taxes of an acquaintance of mine. Her family pays about $23,000 per year on taxes and she lives in the wealthiest city and in the wealthiest community of that city. The school's portion of the taxes is around $7,000. She has two children. I googled how much the county spends per student. It is around $9,000. She is not paying more. All of us paying taxes have contributed to her paying less. The private schools many of these residents choose to send children have tuition around $35,000 and that does not include many other things. I know her children attend public school.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:33 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,448,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Nice try and yet so many of them are the lowest paid in the country and their school facilities are some of the most underfunded. Not everything is the teachers union fault and as you can see not every state has a strong union presence https://fordhaminstitute.org/nationa...ate-comparison
Blah! Blah! Blah!

In 2018-19, the Detroit Public Schools Community District received $15,891 per pupil (including local, state and federal money), making its total funding the 15th highest among Michigan school districts that enroll 1,000 or more students. The state average per student revenue for all 827 school districts and charter schools that year was $13,457 per pupil. That means per-pupil funding at Detroit’s school district was 18% higher than the average Michigan school district.

https://www.michigancapitolconfident...chool-district

https://backgroundchecks.org/top-sch...-michigan.html

Finances at Northville Public Schools
Northville Public Schools spends $11,733 per student each year. It has an annual revenue of $108,451,000. Overall, the district spends $7,833.2 million on instruction, $3,499.2 million on support services and $288.1 million on other expenses.

https://www.usnews.com/education/k12...%20each%20year.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:50 AM

19,304 posts, read 17,187,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Blah! Blah! Blah!

In 2018-19, the Detroit Public Schools Community District received $15,891 per pupil (including local, state and federal money), making its total funding the 15th highest among Michigan school districts that enroll 1,000 or more students. The state average per student revenue for all 827 school districts and charter schools that year was $13,457 per pupil. That means per-pupil funding at Detroit’s school district was 18% higher than the average Michigan school district.

https://www.michigancapitolconfident...chool-district

https://backgroundchecks.org/top-sch...-michigan.html

Finances at Northville Public Schools
Northville Public Schools spends $11,733 per student each year. It has an annual revenue of $108,451,000. Overall, the district spends $7,833.2 million on instruction, $3,499.2 million on support services and $288.1 million on other expenses.

https://www.usnews.com/education/k12...%20each%20year.
Blah! Blah! Blah! don't cherry pick cities when the statement was applied to States as a response to a posters statement..

Old 02-25-2022, 06:39 AM

59,383 posts, read 27,547,677 times
Quote:
The statistics cited and the report quoted in the article are from ETS, Educational Testing Service, the world's largest nonprofit educational testing and assessment organization, and are accurate.
"and are accurate." If you believe them!

Where do they get their money?

"Washington The Educational Testing Service and an Illinois insurance firm have reached an out-of-court settlement in an eight-year-old lawsuit over the issue of racial bias in examination questions."

Appently not everybody bows down to them!

"Under the terms of the settlement, which was announced last week, the nation’s largest test manufacturer will for the first time make public the proportions of blacks and whites that correctly answer each question on one of its examinations, a test used to license insurance agents in Illinois and some 22 other states."

https://www.edweek.org/education/tes...s-suit/1984/12

"What was the problem that testing experts pointed out in the Golden Rule case settlement with the Educational Testing Service (ETS)?"

What was the problem that testing experts pointed out in the Golden Rule case settlement with the Educational Testing Service (ETS)?
A) There are no laws that address test bias or discrimination among subgroups of test takers.
B) The exam developed by ETS had single group validity for Whites only.
C) Some items on the exam developed by ETS were easier for Whites than for Blacks.
D) Comparing item difficulty levels in the form of p values failed to take into consideration the test takers’ level of ability."
https://www.riddlesforkids.net/what-...g-service-ets/

"They look biased to me!

"Criticism" Read for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educat...esting_Service

They are NOT the "angles" you think they are.

And then, most people in education are dem liberals!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-25-2022 at 06:51 AM..

Old 02-25-2022, 06:55 AM

89,328 posts, read 45,071,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If you read the article I linked, you'd know that it is common for community college whether ACT or SAT scores were given or not to have placement recommendation tests dropped onto prospective students when enrolling. I was not in my first semester with a school when I got it (I wasn't given one at my previous college.) I was about three semesters in and I was an A/B student in math in high school and would continue to be a mostly A student in math in college. I was either A, not prepared for the placement test (which I wasn't) and/or B, the test was made hard to make a way for the college to get a second bite of the apple. I am not the only one to think that, I've seen it on the education forum.
If you were 3 semesters in and as competent in high school level math as you claim, you would have already taken math courses beyond remedial math. The Math 0** courses are no more than 3 consecutive courses before the college math courses that actually earn credit towards a degree.

And, no, in my experience, that's not common. Here's the placement chart from a community college, for example. It's the 2021/2022 chart, but the same info has been available for decades:

https://www.harpercollege.edu/testin...ement_Grid.pdf

Last edited by InformedConsent; 02-25-2022 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-25-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
That's an idea. Thank you for your response.

How do they calculate the ported/moved amount?

I just checked the taxes of an acquaintance of mine. Her family pays about $23,000 per year on taxes and she lives in the wealthiest city and in the wealthiest community of that city. The school's portion of the taxes is around $7,000. She has two children. I googled how much the county spends per student. It is around $9,000. She is not paying more. All of us paying taxes have contributed to her paying less. The private schools many of these residents choose to send children have tuition around $35,000 and that does not include many other things. I know her children attend public school.
Your math would work only if the family was paying school tax while their kids were in school and didn't have to pay it in any of the other years. Is that true? Do you not pay school taxes if you don't have kids in school?

Old 02-25-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"and are accurate." If you believe them!

Where do they get their money?
OECD, which administers the PIAAC? Here you go:

https://www.oecd.org/about/budget/#:...me%20of%20work.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:11 AM

This thread is a microcosm of why the US public school structure is in a downward spiral and improving them is unlikely. Parents from several parts of the country are stating their kids and sometimes they themselves have experienced negative educational practices, and the educators are pushing back insisting it's not happening.

Meanwhile, the proof is quantified and verifiable. The US's best, the top 10% of scorers, rank 22nd out of 23 first world countries on OECD's test.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
Quote:
If you were 3 semesters in and as competent in high school level math as you claim, you would have already taken math courses beyond remedial math. The Math 0** courses are no more than 3 consecutive courses before the college math courses that actually earn credit towards a degree.

And, no, in my experience, that's not common. Here's the placement chart from a community college, for example. It's the 2021/2022 chart, but the same info has been available for decades:

https://www.harpercollege.edu/testin...ement_Grid.pdf
I moved states and different states also do not have the same course and criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies