Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support increasing school choice?
Yes: And it would help minorities. 80 57.55%
Yes: But I doubt it would help minorities much. 33 23.74%
No: Even though I think it would help minorities. 2 1.44%
No: And it wouldn't help minorities anyways. 24 17.27%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 06:09 AM

89,511 posts, read 45,193,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Teachers don't use their students as aides.
Yes, they do. Bright kids are used in the classroom as unpaid teacher's aides to help the struggling kids. Many of us in this thread have told you exactly that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, here we have a FINANCIAL writer from the wash post expressing his OPINIONS!

"Education: University of Delaware, BA in EnglishTodd C. Frankel is an enterprise reporter on The Washington Post's Financial desk,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/todd-c-frankel/

"is an enterprise reporter", whatever that is.
The statistics cited and the report quoted in the article are from ETS, Educational Testing Service, the world's largest nonprofit educational testing and assessment organization, and are accurate.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:21 AM

38,933 posts, read 24,010,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, they do. Bright kids are used in the classroom as unpaid teacher's aides to help the struggling kids. Many of us in this thread have told you exactly that.
Some do. It is a logic that doesn't typically work though. I had this in college with an 092 math course (which I honestly think was a waste considering I got straight A's in all but one math course in college, and that was strictly calculus. The one person I worked with kept asking why do we move a number over in algebra and would ask why regardless of if I said that's what you do, or that's how you do an algebra problem. I'm sure if I said the math police would arrest you, she'd say why. I could have done all the problems in my sleep while this girl who couldn't understand algebra from geometry kept asking why.

That is the closest I saw and it was a pair up activity, not a "Hey you got straight A's in math, do you mind taking this student running a D average under your wing." I think people may conflate these two things or the think, pair, share I mentioned earlier.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Some do. It is a logic that doesn't typically work though. I had this in college with an 092 math course (which I honestly think was a waste considering I got straight A's in all but one math course in college, and that was strictly calculus. The one person I worked with kept asking why do we move a number over in algebra and would ask why regardless of if I said that's what you do, or that's how you do an algebra problem. I'm sure if I said the math police would arrest you, she'd say why. I could have done all the problems in my sleep while this girl who couldn't understand algebra from geometry kept asking why.

That is the closest I saw and it was a pair up activity, not a "Hey you got straight A's in math, do you mind taking this student running a D average under your wing." I think people may conflate these two things or the think, pair, share I mentioned earlier.
But that's exactly what it is. You had to explain things you already understood to your struggling partner, did you not? How is that not being used as an unpaid teacher's aide?

Old 02-24-2022, 06:42 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,325,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Sounds like what you're saying is top students should fend for themselves rather than being provided the education that fits their ability. That's the point of much of this discussion is we hold back our top students while spending too much of our limited resources on the lowest performers.
Where I am, there's structure in place to get the high-level students into college-level classes as appropriate. But, we do have a good CC system and multiple high quality universities around. We also have a specialized HS in the state for those who really excel at STEM.

The only way you could do it for more rural students, where it may be 1 or 2 in a school or system is to have an online structure. Which is also easily doable in this age of technology

Old 02-24-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I said you did, because you didn't include the context of getting into a STEM major, just "into college" in post #464. As I said is a 990 "great", no. That said, you can get into a number of state schools with those grades. Likely, you'd have to pay to go there unless you were a star athlete (it does happen.)

Of course STEM is gonna have a higher SAT mandate. STEM majors are currently high demand by prospective students. That is because we continue to push STEM STEM STEM on them from a young age. I mean I saw a number of project based learning for even kindergartener second graders for basic coding and creation when I worked at a K-8 elementary school. Now is STEM not the future, no it absolutely is. However, I think we do a disservice to everyone when we push everyone towards that. We will always need bean counters, financers and managers just as we need teachers. The biggest problem I see with teachers is the ability to keep up with the demand for teachers by requirements set by NCLB, if not the states going above and beyond that for accreditation and case load. No joke, my brother at one point looked to become a teacher but had to take calculus to be a potential fourth grade teacher...
who knew you were a Republican when it comes to education?

Old 02-24-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, here we have a FINANCIAL writer from the wash post expressing his OPINIONS!

"Education: University of Delaware, BA in EnglishTodd C. Frankel is an enterprise reporter on The Washington Post's Financial desk,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/todd-c-frankel/

"is an enterprise reporter", whatever that is.
10 second search effort...

"Enterprise reporting involves stories not based on press releases or news conferences. Instead, enterprise reporting is all about the stories a reporter digs up on his or her own, what many people call “scoops.” Enterprise reporting goes beyond merely covering events. It explores the forces shaping those events."

Old 02-24-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
who knew you were a Republican when it comes to education?
No I am a realist that realizes if we need a particular field to expand and attract talent, you decrease the job requirements and highball the existing workforce and incentify potential workers. I didn't realize that was solely Republican. Oh and I do think that there Democrats in particular educators that don't like NCLB if only for certain aspects of it.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But that's exactly what it is. You had to explain things you already understood to your struggling partner, did you not? How is that not being used as an unpaid teacher's aide?
Only in your twisted mind do you get that out of being randomized partners.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Only in your twisted mind do you get that out of being randomized partners.
It's not twisted. Any time students are mismatched in pairs or groups, the higher-functioning students are being used as unpaid teacher's aides while not being allowed to progress appropriately in their own education. They have to "help" the struggling students instead of continuing their own learning as far as they can.

That's why it's no surprise whatsoever that the US's highest cohort, our top 10%, rank 22nd out of 23 first world countries. Other countries educate their top students. The US uses them as unpaid teacher's aides, which stalls their educational progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies