Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support increasing school choice?
Yes: And it would help minorities. 80 57.55%
Yes: But I doubt it would help minorities much. 33 23.74%
No: Even though I think it would help minorities. 2 1.44%
No: And it wouldn't help minorities anyways. 24 17.27%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 06:00 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,819,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I just looked at how much of my taxes go to public school. It is a lot cheaper than even the religious schools here that have an inferior education in my opinion.
That's because the difference was stolen from someone else.

Quote:
They also don't have a high school. When you say how dare parents want to spend their own money, are you talking about straight from their bank account or what the state is spending on their child?
The amount coming out of their bank account. The money to fund schools is directly traceable to parents and taxpayers and does NOT involve an open market transaction.

That said, how dare taxpayers want to spend their own money where they see fit without government interference.

The most efficient way to do this isn't a voucher system, it's a user pays plus some kind of tax advantaged ed savings account. If the Gov't is hellbent on subsidizing it, they should contribute $$ directly to those accounts and dispense with the bureaucracies that add, at best, exactly zero dollars of value and, at best, incinerate truckloads of taxpayers' money.

Last edited by albert648; 02-23-2022 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 06:08 AM

59,509 posts, read 27,639,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Public K-12, until a kid can get into an AP class (College Board). That is, unless the AP classes are mixed-ability, too, like they are in California, etc., and are filled via a lottery or a system that doesn't admit by merit only and fills classes by meeting certain ratios depending on the school's demographics. Meaning that some higher-ability kids will be shut out of the AP classes in favor of lower-performing others because they're the "wrong" race. Similar to what's happening with TJ in Fairfax County. They want to limit the acceptance of Asians regardless of whether they're more qualified than other admitted students.
" until a kid can get into an AP class (College Board)"

And here is one of the problems.

Not ALL kids can do college.

Way too much is put into, "all need college".

AOC graduate from college and the BEST job she could get in 7 YEARS after graduation was as a bartender.

My apologies to bartenders.

Because the fed started backing school loans, colleges created cirriculums even "average" students can do and are NOT on the level with "real" college.

We still need people with "trade" skills.

Many schools have a "Vo-tech" curriculum.

Forget college, the FIRST thing they have to do graduate from high school!

Old 02-23-2022, 06:11 AM

89,511 posts, read 45,185,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Shouldn't ALL kids have that exact same legal right?"

No American kid is STOPPED from attending school.

It is up to the kid to WANT to learn and parents oversight.

"You can force a horse to water BUT, you CANNOT force him to drink"
You're missing the point. US public schools are deliberately stalling capable students' academic progress and using them as unpaid teacher's aides in the classroom to focus on those who are struggling in an attempt to obtain equal educational outcomes. It's the SJW way.

It's a nationwide, systemic problem. Read my post about how the US compares to other first world countries on OECD's PIAAC.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:16 AM

19,342 posts, read 17,247,361 times
Quote:
You're missing the point. US public schools are deliberately stalling capable students' academic progress and using them as unpaid teacher's aides in the classroom to focus on those who are struggling in an attempt to obtain equal educational outcomes. It's the SJW way.

It's a nationwide, systemic problem. Read my post about how the US compares to other first world countries on OECD's PIAAC.
Seeing this is a " nationwide, systemic problem" where is the accusation above being done?

Old 02-23-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Seeing this is a " nationwide, systemic problem" where is the accusation above being done?
Pretty much everywhere. Read my post on the OECD PIAAC results. That doesn't happen by accident.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:18 AM

59,509 posts, read 27,639,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Educators have always wanted a range in every classroom because the bright kids help the slow ones. That was the theory 50 years ago. Still is. AP and G&T classes started out as a tool to segregate integrated schools.

By the end of 1st grade, grand had read every book in the school. He sat at his desk, hands folded. All day every day. Until the day he decided to just go home. Teacher didn't' notice he was not there until DD was there to pick him up after school.

That's when the road to a private who would take him started. The local schools didn't do jack for him. His parents found an alternative school run by some old hippies who would take the challenge.

It worked out money wise because he got a full ride all the way through university to a PhD.
"By the end of 1st grade, grand had read every book in the school."

I don't know about all schools, but I do know some schools let these type of kids SKIP a grade.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
"By the end of 1st grade, grand had read every book in the school."

I don't know about all schools, but I do know some schools let these type of kids SKIP a grade.
That's increasingly rare. A lot of schools push back HARD on that, claiming it's bad for the student's social development, which they seem to prioritize much more than academics. As if school had nothing to do with teaching academic subjects.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:43 AM

33,401 posts, read 12,701,206 times
Quote:
" until a kid can get into an AP class (College Board)"

And here is one of the problems.

Not ALL kids can do college.

Way too much is put into, "all need college".

AOC graduate from college and the BEST job she could get in 7 YEARS after graduation was as a bartender.

My apologies to bartenders.

Because the fed started backing school loans, colleges created cirriculums even "average" students can do and are NOT on the level with "real" college.

We still need people with "trade" skills.

Many schools have a "Vo-tech" curriculum.

Forget college, the FIRST thing they have to do graduate from high school!
Re the bolded:

1. It's graduated, not graduate.

2. It depends on how one defines best. She was working at different non profits while she was bartending. She took a year 'off' to travel to protests and do some public speaking. When she came back, she learned that her brother had submitted her info to a group called Brand New Congress that was looking for House and Senate candidates to back. What she had done up until then (December of 2016) was best for her, as the group wanted to get behind a run for her for Congress. I disagree with her about most things, and I hope she loses her next election, but the foundation she laid between graduating from BU to the point where her brother submitted her information to the group Brand New Congress was enough to garner the backing of the group Brand New Congress.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:55 AM

19,342 posts, read 17,247,361 times
Quote:
Pretty much everywhere. Read my post on the OECD PIAAC results. That doesn't happen by accident.
I did read it and the US being behind is nothing new but your post does not support your allegation especially the part of "using them as unpaid teacher's aides in the classroom".

Old 02-23-2022, 06:55 AM

33,401 posts, read 12,701,206 times
Quote:
I don't agree. If there is a possibility that my daughter can't get into that school, then I don't want my tax money going to somebody's "free choice."
It depends on how one wants to view the situation.

If the parent who wants that money to be portable is already paying in more than the ported/moved amount, then, effectively, none of your money is going to that perspn's 'free choice'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies