Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2022, 08:52 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,803,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Tax dollars are supposed to benefit all, not benefit a single individual. Government doesn’t give refunds if you don’t like how they use your tax dollars. Run for office to change it. Don’t like public school curriculum? Hit the hip and pay for private school.
Which is exactly why taxation should not exist.

Why should I pay a penny with no expectation of anything in return? Call it what it is. Taxation is THEFT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 08:57 AM

4,614 posts, read 6,395,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post

Why should I pay a penny with no expectation of anything in return? Call it what it is. Taxation is THEFT.
Do you expect a police force ? A fire department ? A library? How about county road maintenance ? Interstate Highways ? How about a 911 service ?
Is that also theft or are those "taxes" OK ?

If not for taxes, how would you propose to fund those services ?

Old 02-23-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Do you expect a police force ? A fire department ? A library? How about county road maintenance ? Interstate Highways ? How about a 911 service ?
Is that also theft or are those "taxes" OK ?

If not for taxes, how would you propose to fund those services ?
Monthly subscription for individual or bundled services that you actually want. Let people who want it pay for it.

In a capitalist economy, when money is paid, it always needs to be in exchange for something in return. There should be absolutely no circumstances in which one pays something with no explicit expectation of something in return. And no, government is NOT an exception to that rule.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:03 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,416,786 times
Quote:
That's your prerogative. However dropping more money into a failing public school system has been tried for 40 years and has produced ZERO results or benefit to taxpayers other than a massive and ever-growing tax bill. There is ZERO benefit in throwing good money after bad. If a system is failing, you need to let it fail.

I expect MY tax dollars to benefit ME first. Benefit to anyone else is secondary.

As soon as I get my money back for the services the government didn't deliver.

Well, the wife and I don't have kids, so as soon as I get a refund for all those taxes that we've paid into public schools when we don't even have children, you can get a refund to send your littles to whatever private facility you like.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:05 AM

2,612 posts, read 934,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Some of it makes sense, some of it is frightening.

What do 8 and 9 mean, exactly? That children would be taken away from non nuclear families? That open shaming of non nuclear families would occur, and children's books where grandma is raising littles would be taken from school libraries? Does #9 advocate reinstating criminal penalties for gay couples, perhaps with prison time?

No. Just no. We won't go backwards.
Yeah, total lunacy. No idea what 8 even means and the fact that it isnt clear makes this propaganda and not serious. Number 9 is a huge rallying cry for an unfortunately large segment of our population that seems to place the whole gender issue as some major level of importance. It just drives them crazy, who cares?

Old 02-23-2022, 09:07 AM

18,415 posts, read 19,061,181 times
Quote:

I guess if you lack compassion for your fellow man, don’t care if forest or homes burns to the ground. Don’t care if you have to drive cross country on rutted dirt roads, making travel time months. Don’t care to defend your county in case of war. Sure no reason to be concerned with the whole when you get nothing in return.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:07 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,972,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Well, the wife and I don't have kids, so as soon as I get a refund for all those taxes that we've paid into public schools when we don't even have children, you can get a refund to send your littles to whatever private facility you like.
We homeschool. So we get it 2x, once through taxation and then we have to pay outright for everything we do.

I'd be happy with getting a refund, especially when I see all the garbage that is passing as "education" these days and kids STILL can't read upon HS graduation.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcr View Post
So you clearly have no auto, health, home or other insurance.

Right?
Last I checked, I can terminate insurance anytime I want.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:09 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,972,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I guess if you lack compassion for your fellow man, don’t care if forest or homes burns to the ground. Don’t care if you have to drive cross country on rutted dirt roads, making travel time months. Don’t care to defend your county in case of war. Sure no reason to be concerned with the whole when you get nothing in return.
Or locally people decide what they want, ban together and find their own objective solutions.

Compassion has ZERO to do with it. You are creating an emotional argument for an objective problem. Doesn't work.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Well I have no kids and I'm single so I'm subsidizing YOUR tax bill.

So once we abolish filing statuses, deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies