Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 03:07 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Watching a cheetah taking down a zebra does not mean one is cheering for the cheetah. Recognizing that Putin is a man of action does not put you in his camp.

It puts you right outside his camp, knocking on the door. I guess GW Bush was a man of action? Started wars with two countries. He is tied with Putin on that.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:12 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have noticed that the capital city in the Ukraine has been referred to Kyiv and pronounced Keeve lately on the news. Apparently its the way Ukraine calls it. And Kiev was how Russia called the city.
There is no direct transliteration of the Russian spelling of the city's name. So different news outlets, historians, and editors spel it whatever way they want.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:19 PM

447 posts, read 496,329 times
Why is Kansas pronounced with the S at the end and Arkansas does not have the S pronounced at the end? Because that is the way the states want it and Americans respects this. If Ukraine wants to pronounce their own capital city in a different way than what you have learned, then respect it or at least live with it!

Old 02-24-2022, 03:20 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yeah, I've notice the morons on the news suddenly pronouncing it differently than it has been pronounced my entire life. It drives me insane. Looks like the liberals are trying to change other languages in addition to English.

It's been pronounced Kyiv for my entire life.

And my mother's entire life.

And my grandmother's entire life.

And my great grandparents' entire life all the way back to when they were born a few hours outside the city.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:27 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
So what do we call a boneless chicken breast that is stuffed with seasoned butter and deep fried these days.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:34 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Fox News is calling it Kyiv. It was an idea started by the people of Ukraine. Nothing to do with liberals here. But its probably somehow Biden's fault.
No, it's not Biden's fault. It's the fault of the idiots that keep wanting to redefine language. It's a "latte" sort of thing. For some reason some people think it is high style to keep on redefining words and pronunciation. In some cases it is political, in some cases social, and in some cases just for the hell of it.

As for this particular word, the way it has been pronounced in ENGLISH (that is the language we speak here in 'merca) has been pretty much set since I remember understanding English (a long, long time). Now, in the past few weeks or months, it has suddenly become cool, for whatever reason, to pronounce it a different way. Why is that, do you think? Was it just because of the angle of the earth to the sun that day, or that some newscaster suddenly looked up from the video game on on the computer in his/her/its cubicle and said, "Hey, Wokeycia, let's pronounce it keeve"?

If you want to speak Ukrainian, learn it. Then you can pronounce all Ukrainian words the way they do in Ukraine. Otherwise bag it.

I don't see any English speaker going out of his or her way to pronounce every Spanish derived word the way Spaniards pronounce it. I don't see any English speaker going out of his or her way to Pronounce every French derived word the way it is pronounced in France. Same goes for German, the Nordic languages, Portuguese, etc. So what is the deal with the sudden choice to play Ukrainian on the newscasts? My guess is that it's simply more latte-sipping woke balderdash. There is no practical reason to change your English pronunciation because you think it is cool. Otherwise, I suppose we'd all be speaking with a French accent since it's such a cool and suave language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's been pronounced Kyiv for my entire life.

And my mother's entire life.

And my grandmother's entire life.

And my great grandparents' entire life all the way back to when they were born a few hours outside the city.
And so have the residents of Nezahualcóyotl been pronouncing their city name properly in their own language. Do YOU pronounce it properly and in their language?

For God's sake, we don't even pronounce the word "burrito" properly in English (unless you are a Spanish speaker as well). Does anyone make a big thing about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So what do we call a boneless chicken breast that is stuffed with seasoned butter and deep fried these days.
A... boneless chicken breast stuffed with seasoned butter and deep fried?

Of course, if you are a dingbat liberal, you'll now want to be cool and pronounce those words with a distinct Brazilian Portuguese accent, or maybe use a Navaho or Tagalog accent. Or French. French always sounds nice. Zee boonliss shiken brrust stoofed vis sesonhd bootejr in dep freed. (Sorry, I'd have to use IPA to get the sounds we don't make in English)

Last edited by ChrisC; 02-24-2022 at 03:54 PM..

Old 02-24-2022, 03:37 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
I have noticed that the capital city in the Ukraine has been referred to Kyiv and pronounced Keeve lately on the news. Apparently its the way Ukraine calls it. And Kiev was how Russia called the city.

So which do you prefer? And what will it be called once Russia takes control?

Why Kyiv instead of Kiev?
It's like the German city that the U.S. calls "Cologne" when in German it's Koln...with the dots over the 'O'.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:00 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
George Dubya Bush would figure out how to say Kiev with three syllables.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:08 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As for this particular word, the way it has been pronounced in ENGLISH (that is the language we speak here in 'merca) has been pretty much set since I remember understanding English (a long, long time).
I'm pretty sure Kyiv was founded centuries before "'merica".

Cities around the world get renamed all the time... Kyiv was akined to being renamed to Kiev when it was under Soviet control then renamed back to Kyiv when Ukraine was independent for official purposes when translated to Latin alphabet.

Americans didn't rename it or "restyle" it but it was actually mandated by the Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign affairs. News channels would probably want to respect that if they are to remain on good standing with Ukraine and allowed to report from within their boundaries.

New York City was New Amsterdam at some point in history.... Has nothing to do with being "stylish"

Last edited by usayit; 02-24-2022 at 04:17 PM..

Old 02-24-2022, 04:10 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Shocker: The Trump base thinks we should just go ahead and concede to the Russian dialect. (Totally ignores this is Ukrainian, not Russian territory)
The Trump base is learning Russian so they can be even cozier with Putin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies