Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 05:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
There are no roads from Nome to anywhere. And to travel overland is quite inhospitable.
Yes, it would be much more difficult than when Napoleon attacked Moscow in 1812 or the Germans attacking Moscow in 1941-42. And they didn't have to start by crossing 50 miles of a treacherous strait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 05:54 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Yeah, I don't see a threat. I was stationed at Elemendorf AFB which joins Fort Richardson, so you have that for starters. And, we shipped supplies to about 5 stations further north, those places where you couldn't even go outside, thus buildings were connected with tunnels. My 2nd cousin is up there in the Army Guard, which is also huge.

I'm not going to worry about Russia invading AK, but who knows what stories might be made up in order to draw our attention away from the mess that Biden is creating and the upcoming mid-term elections, or worse yet what viruses they may release.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:09 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
It's not worth the cost of invasion. It's barely worth the cost of keeping it as a state. Decades and centuries ahead, climate change could make it more habitable and more populated, but the USA won't exist then. Russia can play a longer game of watching the USA decline and disappear, then negotiate new treaties with new nations.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:11 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Your post reminds me of China's historical claims to properties they want to take. Russia can say Alaska was once part of Russia and thus Russia has historical rights to claim it. Pro-Russia folks tell people that Crimea was Russian land that was gifted to Ukraine, so Russia has the right to take it back.

It all boils down to might make right. If you have the military power to back up your claims, than you can claim anything.

it also boils down to proximity. When Russia tried to ship in nuclear weapons to Cuba they got a taste of America's resolve not to have nuclear weapons in its back yard.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:49 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I would be a logistical nightmare and isn’t even a strategic move.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 02-24-2022, 06:54 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
I served in the Active Army in Alaska during the Cold War when there was a possibility of a Russian attack. At no time did the Army ever believe that an actual ground invasion was a real possibility, but simply missile and/or bomber attacks on Anchorage, Fairbanks, where our two Army and two Air Force Bases are located. Also, attacks on our oil pipelines and oil terminals.

Russia and even China do not have the logistical means or the sea or airlift capabilities to invade Alaska with the needed manpower and supplies…. Period. Ok, you drop 200 Russian paratroopers on Elmendorf Air Force Base or even the Anchorage International Airport, how is Russia going to capitalize off of that isolated attack to make it work before our own local Airborne Infantry Combat units, that are only minutes away, retake those airfields with a superior force? The short answer is nothing. Plus, in that scenario, we have enough F-15s, F-16s and F-22s in Alaska to shoot down, break up and harass any invasion or attacking force. Seriously, our satellites would see a massive Russian/Chinese build-up of forces in Russia…. And as soon as they made their first offensive moves, they would be attacked by a massive barrage of American cruise missiles, on Russian and Chinese soil. As our superior Naval forces move it to sink any Russian and/or Chinese ships in the North Pacific.

If Russia and China did attack Alaska, they know that we would, in return, attacking their mainland immediately. Alaska’s greatest defense is its massive size with a beyond limited road system.

The movie Red Dawn was only a 1980s movie. I’m no expert or do I claim to be an expert…. I only served in the Army for 30 years.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:56 PM

2,037 posts, read 1,605,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Only if they had the will to retaliate.

That's the problem with having super weak leaders, they'll always seek to pacify. Given all we've seen from Biden's handlers, why would we think they'd respond with anything but economic sanctions no matter what Russia did?

Most of Europe is under Russia's thumb because they can't survive without the gas Russia provides them so they won't do anything.

There's a reason why Russia knows they can do whatever they want right now.
Under Article 5 of the NATO agreement, an attack on one NATO country is considered an attack on the alliance itself. Likely resulting in a swift allied military response.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:09 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I was watching the cable news channels today and several military experts believed Putin was hinting at a nuclear response not a cyber one.

Vladimir Putin appears to threaten nuclear strikes if West launches reprisal attacks

Russian president warns that any attempt to interfere in Ukraine conflict will provoke a response ‘never seen in history’
I can't read the article because it's behind one of the few paywalls I can't hack. Do you have a subscription?

Putin only hinted about nukes which I think is a diversionary tactic. They have the cyber capabilities that can bring the modern world to a standstill. Starting a nuclear war is suicide. My bet is on the cyber.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:21 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I can't read the article because it's behind one of the few paywalls I can't hack. Do you have a subscription?

Putin only hinted about nukes which I think is a diversionary tactic. They have the cyber capabilities that can bring the modern world to a standstill. Starting a nuclear war is suicide. My bet is on the cyber.
Putin is counting that the West will avoid a nuclear war at all cost because the West has much more to lose. It's the same thought process a suicide terrorist with a bomb strapped to him goes through. He will die but his richer enemy will die too. Would a very rich person be willing to die in a fight with a poor person?

Putin uses this as leverage against NATO. He will play this trick every time he wants to invade another country.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:30 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
If Putin decided to invade Alaska, I doubt there would be any consequences. We already know that Joe Biden has no regard for protecting our borders, as evidenced by what’s going on at our southern border. If fact, he would probably send border agents to Alaska to help members of the Russian military to sign up for food stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies