Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2022, 10:35 AM

631 posts, read 289,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Russian forces are building up near the Polish border in Belarus.
This is so not good....!

To the ones dismissing Putin's greater threat to the world with a 'it's not 1935' yawn, let's not forget that our borders are very close to Russia's.... Up north, where there are places in Alaska which offer a view of the Russian coastline on a clear day. One of Putin's justifications for invading Ukraine was that it had been historically at one with Russia. And Alaska? That was historically Russian, too. I bet he is really pissed off about the Russian czar handing that over to us for a bargain.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:36 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Russian forces are building up near the Polish border in Belarus.
Who told you that, CNN?

Old 02-26-2022, 10:47 AM

382 posts, read 124,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Chilling words to ponder. Could these words ring true for today's situation? Everyone hopes not, but no one knows for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This situation seems like an area that most of the American center, left and right agree. We should be happy with that. Stop making this Biden vs. Trump. Putin is the enemy.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I was listening to an interview with the Finnish President who routinely deals with Putin since they are not in NATO and are next to Russia. And he claims the past year or so Putin has changed and become more paranoid.
This would support my hypothesis that Putin is starting to develop dementia or something akin to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
No the world will not risk WW3 to stop Russia. I know, i know article 5 says attack on one is attack on everyone. But the reality is the public especially in US will never support the risk of nuclear war and end of the life as we know it over those countries.
The United States used (admittedly smaller) nuclear bombs on Japan in the last world war. Don't write their use off so soon. I'm not saying I support this, but it could happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdagoat View Post
You keep spreading this propaganda on every thread. If Putin attacks NATO, WW3 will happen, NATO will NOT appease him. Either scenario that you keep bringing up, NATO is not going to let Putin do whatever he wants just because he has nuclear bombs.
This is exactly right. If Putin does invade or attack a NATO nation, that is a declaration of war and at that point he will have started WWIII, and God help us all. Hopefully Putin would be overthrown before that scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
Putin goal is not to take over Europe, his goal is to reclaim what he believes is part of Russia, specifically Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania. Ukraine, Belarus.
That would be a very, very big problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
If Ukraine was apart of Nato right now does anyone think that would of deterred Putin from invading them?
Yes, absolutely.

Old 02-26-2022, 11:34 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,727,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResistTheReset View Post
Chilling words to ponder. Could these words ring true for today's situation? Everyone hopes not, but no one knows for sure.

Indeed.

This would support my hypothesis that Putin is starting to develop dementia or something akin to that.

The United States used (admittedly smaller) nuclear bombs on Japan in the last world war. Don't write their use off so soon. I'm not saying I support this, but it could happen.

This is exactly right. If Putin does invade or attack a NATO nation, that is a declaration of war and at that point he will have started WWIII, and God help us all. Hopefully Putin would be overthrown before that scenario.

That would be a very, very big problem.

Yes, absolutely.
Then the question should be why hasn't Nato admitted Ukraine in to their alliance?

Old 02-26-2022, 12:35 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
We already did that in Afghanistan. Putin knows America can't stomach war.
As though the Russians didn't pull out of Afghanistan in half the time.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:23 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
IMO we should of never expanded Nato the way we did. If Ukraine was apart of Nato right now does anyone think that would of deterred Putin from invading them?
Very possibly yes. If the Ukraine was a part of NATO that would be a direct attack on the West aka WW3, rather than an attack on a small not very powerful country. Chances of a military success would drop from over 99% to less than 1%.

The only reason Putin did this was because he knew the west would do nothing about it.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:31 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Who told you that, CNN?
https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/25/putin...rder-16171368/

Old 02-26-2022, 01:42 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
There is no longer a worldwide ideological threat to the American capitalist world order. We've reverted to balance of power politics, which is ideologically neutral and if anything strengthens domestic social order because of a common enemy.

Given that Americans and our leadership no longer perceive a threat to our way of life from any foreign country, I don't think we would start ww3 to defend any ally.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:46 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As though the Russians didn't pull out of Afghanistan in half the time.
You mean after they committed numerous war crimes?

You want to fight someone who puts IEDs inside of toys?

Old 02-26-2022, 01:47 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You mean after they committed numerous war crimes?
I don't get your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies