Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 09:56 AM

8,318 posts, read 3,958,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Well maybe some do not but I do realize that fact. Nuclear brinkmanship is a dangerous game. Still no one during the Cold War ended up pushing that button.

I’m not sure what choice we have when evil dictators possess nuclear weapons. I suppose we could knuckle under every time he threatens us. That would eventually make him our dictator too. We have to confront and contain him. We have no choice
Dead on Daniel. We do not have any other choice.

We've been facing the fear of MAD ever since 1945 and the Trinity test. We knew that this confrontation would come sooner or later. We had a close brush during the Cuban Missile Crisis and it looks likely that the threat will be even higher in this situation.

The Federation of Atomic Scientists has their doomsday clock at 100 seconds to midnight - the highest ever since they started. And that assessment was before the current crisis in Eastern Europe.

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/
https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/timeline/

Personally, I'd rather see this world become a smoking radioactive ruin than for myself and my children and their future generations to live as frightened slaves under the yoke of a megalomaniac like Putin or Xi or one of their stooges here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 11:05 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,269,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I dunno. Looks like the rest of the world is cooperating with Biden and most of his stated goals. And the countries that aren't are staying out of the fray.

Of course I certainly wouldn't expect for you and your right wing pals to acknowledge that reality.
Yeah because the rest of the world would have been pro invasion of Ukraine if Trump was president instead.

No one has respect for Biden and the U.S. now. They see a demented Biden and a weak U.S. that is more worried about flying LGBTQ rainbow flags in their embassies and Green New Deals than standing up to the Taliban or tyrants like Putin or Xi.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:11 AM

41 posts, read 18,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both Estonia and Latvia in NATO, I think they joined way back in 2004 and I'm almost certain they probably, definitely, maybe share a land border with Russia!

Then you have Lithuania and Poland, also in NATO and share a land border with the Kaliningrad Oblast of Russia.

If Putin didn't want his neighbors to join NATO, why didn't he invade Estonia and Latvia back in 2004?
I don't know why he has such a grip on Ukraine like a kite on his prey. He has a navy in Crimea and an outlet to the Black Sea. It is clear to me why he wanted it so much. But what is there in Luhansk and Donetsk is unclear to me. Maybe there are some resources, like gas or oil.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:15 AM

2,367 posts, read 915,337 times
What, is that Defcon 3 ?

Old 02-28-2022, 09:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,689,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari Takanashi View Post
I don't know why he has such a grip on Ukraine like a kite on his prey. He has a navy in Crimea and an outlet to the Black Sea. It is clear to me why he wanted it so much. But what is there in Luhansk and Donetsk is unclear to me. Maybe there are some resources, like gas or oil.
More people to control...more land to claim.

Dictators always want MORE POWER.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:24 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,754,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I dunno. Looks like the rest of the world is cooperating with Biden and most of his stated goals. And the countries that aren't are staying out of the fray.

Of course I certainly wouldn't expect for you and your right wing pals to acknowledge that reality.
To be fair, Russia has communist Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela's support.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:35 AM

1,735 posts, read 821,393 times
Use caution when backing a mad man into a corner.

Or make sure you are up to whatever the mad man unleashes.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:17 AM

41 posts, read 18,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
More people to control...more land to claim.

Dictators always want MORE POWER.
I don't think that's what he wants. He just wants to show his power. He wants to be feared and respected. But I wouldn't want to be feared. I would like to be loved.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,689,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari Takanashi View Post
I don't think that's what he wants. He just wants to show his power. He wants to be feared and respected. But I wouldn't want to be feared. I would like to be loved.
Putin has some BIG shoes to fill, considering Russias past leaders! (being 'loved' is probably not a priority to Putin)

Old 02-28-2022, 11:25 AM

4,966 posts, read 2,257,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It's the age old MAD scenario we've feared since the Trinity test way back in 1945.

We have to call his bluff. If he lobs a nuke - so be it. If the modern world is destroyed in a nuclear war - so be it.

Maybe it's easier for me to say this since I'm an old geezer and I have had my time in the sun.

We cannot idly sit back and watch a megalomaniac like Putin put us under the boot. Even if the worst comes to pass. What sort of world would it be for our children and their future generations if we allow that to happen?
What sort of world would it be for our children and their future generations it was destroyed by a full-scale nuclear war?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies