Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 01:50 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, F-150 is a big truck so they threw in a huge 131kWh battery.

The extended range battery can power your home for 3 days(even up to 10 if usage is properly rationed).
https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f15...-backup-power/

But most power outages are measured in minutes or a few hours, not days. Just keep the fridge or a cpap or the aquarium or whatever running through those temporary outages.
It is not a simple at it seems. You cannot just plug the battery to your home to power some appliances. That is all hype. What you can do is to have an inverter that is powered by the battery to produce AC power, and a transfers switch between the service box and the inverter.

Now, if you have a solar panel array, then all you have to do to boost the power stored in the batteries is to use (add) the EV battery to the rest of the batteries in the circuit. That said, the power consumption at home is not continuous, but intermittent as follows: some components turn on/off automatically (furnace, boiler, thermostats, sensor-controllet lighting), and others manually, but not all of these components remain energized "continuously" all day and night using 2,800 watts.

Another example:
https://www.s-ehrlich.com/how-many-w...tial-home-use/
Quote:
What is the maximum amount of electricity I should er Do I Need to Run a House? The generator rated at 5,000 to 7,500 watts can run even the most basic household equipment, such as refrigerators, freezers, well pumps, and lighting circuits. All these appliances can be powered by a 7500-watt generator at once.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-28-2022 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 02:04 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It is not a simple at it seems. You cannot just plug the battery to your home to power some appliances. That is all hype. What you can do is to have an inverter that is powered by the battery to produce AC power, and a transfers switch between the service box and the inverter.

Now, if you have a solar panel array, then all you have to do to boost the power stored in the batteries is to use (add) the EV battery to the rest of the batteries in the circuit. That said, the power consumption at home is not continuous, but intermittent as follows: some components turn on/off automatically (furnace, boiler, thermostats, sensor-controllet lighting), and others manually, but not all of these components remain energized "continuously" all day and night using 2,800 watts per hour.

Another example:
https://www.s-ehrlich.com/how-many-w...tial-home-use/
Yeah, have to get their charge station that enables a grid disconnect and 2 way power flow. Covered in link in prior post. A big step up from some of the current offerings that just have an adapter that gets you a single plug. And it has a cutoff reserve so you don't run your mileage down to 0. In any case certainly seems more than capable of handling the typical wind/ice storm outages around here that don't last all that long.

Last edited by notnamed; 02-28-2022 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-28-2022, 02:14 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
The gas station closest to my house in CA is $5.19 for regular, cheapest diesel near me is $4.99. I have put maybe 200 miles on a vehicle using gas in the last 6 months so haven't cared much.

I have an EV SUV, so I am good currently. The cost of electricity is scheduled to go up about 15-20% in about 2 months ($0.11/Kw for EV, $0.66/Kw at peak) so the cost to fill will increase some but still be close to $10. In NV, gas is just under $4/gal and electricity is still much cheaper at $0.044/kw most of the time - under $5 to fill my EV. Both are a big difference from the $100 or so cost to fill of an equivalent ICE vehicle.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Good luck finding smaller vehicles! They aren't making many these days. You want a new one? Ha!

So you trade in your SUV for a Prius.....what did you use your SUV for? Hauling your 4 kids and their sports equipment? How will you do that a Prius? How will you tow your camper for your family vacation this summer? Plenty of SUV owners actually use their SUV for hauling around all kinds of things that you just can't do with a small car.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Good luck finding smaller vehicles! They aren't making many these days. You want a new one? Ha!

So you trade in your SUV for a Prius.....what did you use your SUV for? Hauling your 4 kids and their sports equipment? How will you do that a Prius? How will you tow your camper for your family vacation this summer? Plenty of SUV owners actually use their SUV for hauling around all kinds of things that you just can't do with a small car.
That's something I don't get. My parents raised my sister and I in a coupe and it wasn't a problem at all. But now even single kid families are demanding huge vehicles. Especially in SUVs when vans would be far better suited.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
That's something I don't get. My parents raised my sister and I in a coupe and it wasn't a problem at all. But now even single kid families are demanding huge vehicles. Especially in SUVs when vans would be far better suited.
That was 2 kids. Notice I said 4? Also did your family play sports? Have a hockey player? Have you see the size of their gear? Joke it's the size of an adult.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That was 2 kids. Notice I said 4? Also did your family play sports? Have a hockey player? Have you see the size of their gear? Joke it's the size of an adult.
That's what roof racks are for.

Yeah, I never got into a sport where the gear came home with you aside from a uniform/glove. Sister was into horse riding so some messy gear in the trunk.

But I'm just speaking generally. I know plenty of families who feel like they NEED a Suburban for a single toddler.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:34 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Not until they are actually producing something.

Oil prices are based on global markets. Authorizing any of those today won't affect the global market for months or years.
DING DING DING.
Future production, or lack of it, does not nor has it ever had an effect on current gas prices. It doesn't work like that.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:37 PM

45,348 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
I mentioned a few years ago that I wished that Ford or Chevy would make a two door mid-size Fusion or Taurus (this was when they were still making cars).

You should have seen the whining from, well not my age group which is legitimate retiree, some who complained that two door cars were too hard to get in and out of. As well as other really stupid reasons like what would their friends think.

Define "huge". Depending on your age that "coupe" your parents had may well have been a land yacht like a two door Caprice from the 1980s or a Grand Prix from the '70s (or even early/mid 80s).

Old 02-28-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I mentioned a few years ago that I wished that Ford or Chevy would make a two door mid-size Fusion or Taurus (this was when they were still making cars).

You should have seen the whining from, well not my age group which is legitimate retiree, some who complained that two door cars were too hard to get in and out of. As well as other really stupid reasons like what would their friends think.

Define "huge". Depending on your age that "coupe" your parents had may well have been a land yacht like a two door Caprice from the 1980s or a Grand Prix from the '70s (or even early/mid 80s).
80s Audi
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...-audi-coupe-gt

Probably why I still have an affinity for coupes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies