Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 10:20 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If only Presidents really had that much control over gas prices. So tired of this myth that Donny was somehow magically responsible for low gas prices and now they are high because Joe...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...asoline-prices

https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2021...-supply-demand

They do have an effect and, in this case, Trump encouraging American energy production and Biden dissuading it as well as Trump's ability to dialogue with Putin to prevent war and Biden not able to do that are significant factors in high energy today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 10:21 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,135,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If only Presidents really had that much control over gas prices. So tired of this myth that Donny was somehow magically responsible for low gas prices and now they are high because Joe...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...asoline-prices

https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2021...-supply-demand
So expanding pipelines, on shore and off-shore exploration and opening up public leases again wouldn’t help keep fuel prices in check????

Old 02-28-2022, 10:30 AM

2,637 posts, read 1,173,205 times
Everywhere I go I see the smaller version of SUV's. It costs about $35.00 to fill the tank last year but I don't know now how expensive it is.

I want a smaller car that isn't 16" freaking inches long. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me find online a car that has the automatic lumbar support and wide enough seats. I will never understand why car makers think people who need that seat to blow up the lumbar only want gas guzzling SUV's and large cars. I don't drive much but I still need that lumbar support and power controls. Compact cars don't have metal around them on the inside and the last I knew of only Honda has the gas tank inside a metal box like frame to protect it from exploding.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:45 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
So expanding pipelines, on shore and off-shore exploration and opening up public leases again wouldn’t help keep fuel prices in check????
Not until they are actually producing something.

Oil prices are based on global markets. Authorizing any of those today won't affect the global market for months or years.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:49 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
The big difference between 2008 and today is that the top selling vehicle, Ford F150, was getting 14 city/20 highway. That same truck today is getting 20/26.

The top selling SUV, Ford Explorer was 14/20 and today gets 20/26.

The extra cost of fuel isn't as bad as 14 years ago.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:19 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The big difference between 2008 and today is that the top selling vehicle, Ford F150, was getting 14 city/20 highway. That same truck today is getting 20/26.

The top selling SUV, Ford Explorer was 14/20 and today gets 20/26.

The extra cost of fuel isn't as bad as 14 years ago.
And the F-150 Lighting is right around the corner with a huge amount of reservations in place. Which also has the appeal of being a substantial battery backup for your house in power outages. I think that's the EV that's going to win over a lot of people. Though early adopters will surely be paying through the nose in markups.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:23 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
And the F-150 Lighting is right around the corner with a huge amount of reservations in place. Which also has the appeal of being a substantial battery backup for your house in power outages. I think that's the EV that's going to win over a lot of people. Though early adopters will surely be paying through the nose in markups.
How can an EV battery provide backup AC power to your home if the service electrical power goes out? How long do you thing such a battery can power your home?

You can use an inverter connected to the EV battery to power some of the appliances at home (a low-power floodlight, a computer, and some low-power appliances), but not your home for expended periods of time unless you have battery bank (array) of fully charged deep-cycle batteries.

For example, when the power goes out I can keep my house warm by using a Honda 2,000-watt inverter generator. It provides AC power to the boiler all day or night if I wanted on 1.5 gallon of fuel. But 2,000 watts is not sufficient to power the boiler and the microwave oven at the same time, because both appliances together consume more power than what the generator can produce.

You would need an enormous EV battery to power your home for a day (24 hours), one than can power your home somewhere around 28 kWh.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-28-2022 at 12:53 PM..

Old 02-28-2022, 01:00 PM

956 posts, read 509,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
One other thing is as far as fuel is concerned, its something that can be rectified. We all know why gas has risen and its not because we're running out and its not because of a war. Its because of politics.
Exactly. In late 2007 through mid 2008 when oil hit $100 a barrel then a lot more, the feeling was we were actually running out of oil. It was tight. Then fracking allowed access to so much more oil than ever thought possible and the rest was history. Fracking to the rescue.

If it were not for fracking technology, oil may be over $200 by now.

Once things normalize and pumping and fracking starts the mid to high $3.XX and $4 gas will be over and oil will go back down to $45-$75. The lag is because of Russian uncertainty and the slowness after the shut downs when there was too much surplus of oil that went negative not even 2 years ago because of pandemic and no one working and no oil for delivery. Things changed when economy came back and they only gradually added oil back to the market.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:04 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Everywhere I go I see the smaller version of SUV's. It costs about $35.00 to fill the tank last year but I don't know now how expensive it is.

I want a smaller car that isn't 16" freaking inches long. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me find online a car that has the automatic lumbar support and wide enough seats. I will never understand why car makers think people who need that seat to blow up the lumbar only want gas guzzling SUV's and large cars. I don't drive much but I still need that lumbar support and power controls. Compact cars don't have metal around them on the inside and the last I knew of only Honda has the gas tank inside a metal box like frame to protect it from exploding.
All automobiles have a metallic shield over the gas tank. But gas tanks don't "self-explode". The fuel in the tank is relatively safe. For example, propane, kerosene, gasoline for 2-cycle motors, can be purchased at the local stores. These products are found on the store's shelves. Aerosol cans of numerous kinds are flammable (some are highly flammable), but are relatively safe in their cans. Alcohol is very flammable, too. And how about the acetone used at home by some people to remove nail polish? Acetone is highly flammable, and has a low flash point. Just follow the warnings and instructions on the label, or search and read the product's SDS.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:21 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
How can an EV battery provide backup AC power to your home if the service electrical power goes out? How long do you thing such a battery can power your home?

You can use an inverter connected to the EV battery to power some of the appliances at home (a low-power floodlight, a computer, and some low-power appliances), but not your home for expended periods of time unless you have battery bank (array) of fully charged deep-cycle batteries.

For example, when the power goes out I can keep my house warm by using a Honda 2,000-watt inverter generator. It provides AC power to the boiler all day or night if I wanted on 1.5 gallon of fuel. But 2,000 watts is not sufficient to power the boiler and the microwave oven at the same time, because both appliances together consume more power than what the generator can produce.

You would need an enormous EV battery to power your home for a day (24 hours), one than can power your home somewhere around 28 kWh.
Yeah, F-150 is a big truck so they threw in a huge 131kWh battery. Which gets it 583hp/775 lb-ft a 10,000lb towing capacity and a 300 mile range. When you don't have to worry about the weight of the vehicle so much and can throw in a big battery it pays off.

The extended range battery can power your home for 3 days(even up to 10 if usage is properly rationed).
https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f15...-backup-power/

But most power outages are measured in minutes or a few hours, not days. Just keep the fridge or a cpap or the aquarium or the modem/router or whatever running through those temporary outages is more the use case. Not a month after a hurricane or what have you.

Last edited by notnamed; 02-28-2022 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies