Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 10:26 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,991,313 times

Advertisements

This aged well. 6 years old. Its a good listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMiSQAGOS4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 10:30 AM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
C'mon. It's over an hour long. No one is going to watch it.
But I am curious. Why don't you highlight some points for us so that we can have a real discussion.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
C'mon. It's over an hour long. No one is going to watch it.
But I am curious. Why don't you highlight some points for us so that we can have a real discussion.
He explains that it was idiotic to give a article 5 guarantee/promise to a NON-Strategic european ally like Ukraine and cause the friction.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:53 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
He explains that it was idiotic to give a article 5 guarantee/promise to a NON-Strategic european ally like Ukraine and cause the friction.
This is new to me. However I am not a NATO expert of anything. Looking it up I cant find anything NATO about NATO promising to protect Ukraine.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:58 AM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Was, in fact, the guarantee given to Ukraine? ....... I did not know that. If so, it seems like it should be binding, but if not, then here we are.
Putin also signed some guarantees. In the early 90's he guaranteed Russia would not invade Ukraine. But, here we are. So guarantee or no guarantee, Russia was always going to claim Crimea and The Black Sea as their own.

If Russia takes the Ukrainian coast, that gives Russia the entire Black Sea, except for minor countries who matter little. How long will it be before their attention it turned to Istanbul, Turkey, who guards the gate to Black Sea? It won't be that long and he would not be the first Russian leader to try it.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
This is new to me. However I am not a NATO expert of anything. Looking it up I cant find anything NATO about NATO promising to protect Ukraine.
In this regard, on January 10, 2022, US and Russian diplomats held security talks in Geneva to discuss the military activities of both countries and growing tensions around Ukraine. The head of the Russian delegation at a meeting in Geneva between the United States and Russia said that Russia needed "concrete guarantees" that Ukraine and Georgia would never become members of NATO, enshrined in the decision of the Madrid Summit of 2022. Earlier, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov also said that "the risks of military confrontation should not be underestimated" and that the American side, refusing to not expand NATO, underestimates the seriousness of the situation.[172]

In turn, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said that NATO will not compromise with Russia on Ukraine's membership and that Ukraine's membership in NATO will be decided by Ukraine and its allies. He assured that the Alliance helps Ukraine to meet the criteria necessary for membership in the organization.[173]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrain...hout%20outside

Old 03-05-2022, 11:05 AM

" NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said that NATO will not compromise with Russia on Ukraine's membership"

I believe this is one reason negotiations collapsed and why Putin invaded. Right here.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Was, in fact, the guarantee given to Ukraine? ....... I did not know that. If so, it seems like it should be binding, but if not, then here we are.
Putin also signed some guarantees. In the early 90's he guaranteed Russia would not invade Ukraine. But, here we are. So guarantee or no guarantee, Russia was always going to claim Crimea and The Black Sea as their own.

" NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said that NATO will not compromise with Russia on Ukraine's membership"

comments like this... are what the issue was. They are not saying yes or no and its Ukraines decision... of course the west leaning government would have gone into Nato.. its a no brainer...

They said its "Ukraines" decision...

Also , I believe a original agreement is Ukraine was suppose to be a buffer state...

If you go here this Professor says it was offered in 2013.. and a student asks what the terms of the deal was ..but he says he does not know???

https://youtu.be/JrMiSQAGOS4?t=3827

Old 03-05-2022, 11:08 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
I can't stand this pseudointellectual nonsense. Russia is waging a war of aggression, and anyone can see that and understand it. This is Russia's fault. This claptrap is no more than victim blaming - e.g., why a rape is actually the victim's fault.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I can't stand this pseudointellectual nonsense. Russia is waging a war of aggression, and anyone can see that and understand it. This is Russia's fault. This claptrap is no more than victim blaming - e.g., why a rape is actually the victim's fault.
Im not supporting Russia's war of aggression . Just giving a western professors lecture about why the west is partially responsible for the friction that has developed in the last 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies