Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 09:15 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,908,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help". Pres. Ronald Regan
"I am Ronald Reagan and I am your president". Those were much more terrifying. Growing government does not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 09:16 AM

30,209 posts, read 11,863,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Just look at the Nixon years. Expect work arounds like novel cuts of meat , or "new products which avoid classifications. Then there will be "shortages".
Shrinkflation is a thing now. Make the product size a smaller but the price the same. You cannot expect manufacturers who have increased expenses from fuel and raw materials and labor going up to not raise prices. You just push them out of business.

Only thing that really worked long term from 70's and 80's inflation was raising interest rates way up. Shock and awe. And if you look at history and what was going on back then I really believe this inflation now has the potential to get much much worse than anything back then.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:17 AM

14,004 posts, read 5,652,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So a business would have to pay more in wages but can't make back the money? Makes perfect sense.
Exactly.

Consider that in the simplest terms, profit = revenue - taxes - cost

So to "fix" things, the Biden plan is to lower revenue (artificially lower prices) and raise costs (artificially raise wages) and do nothing with taxes. That does what to profit?

This is why every time there are price/wage controls done by hamfisted government, there is always increased unemployment, mass business closures, increased scarcity and a general decrease in the quality of life.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:25 AM

6,177 posts, read 3,388,775 times
So if I’m a business and I am required to raise wages but then I can’t sell my product at a fair market value, that doesn’t leave me with a lot of options.

Let a bunch of employees go is one thing I can do. True, it will degrade my product, but hopefully, Americans are used to poor service and poor products by now.

Another thing I can do is try to sell my business to a new sucker, or just cease to operate.

Liberals are so stupid.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:10 AM

4,539 posts, read 4,063,908 times
You’ve either got capitalism or you’ve got shortages. What else is there?

Old 03-02-2022, 10:27 AM

25,896 posts, read 12,926,296 times
Price controls ALWAYS lead to product shortages.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:23 AM

30,111 posts, read 18,712,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
I am not fully understanding how this works effectively in achieving the outcomes we want

Of course we want to keep prices lower and raise wages,

But let’s see how this works:

A peanut grower small or largely owned , doesn’t matter sells crops to a wholesaler … the manufacturer’s overhead far more consists of supplies , land acquisitions , not a lot of wage but if those raw materials and utilities all come from America which they probably don’t, their costs are fixed and the price they charge to wholesale isn’t likely to have room to go down . Real estate price controls wouid be needed to fight inflation here but doing that would stifle home ownership as no seller would be able to make money in real estate . That wouid hurt American farmers reducing the number of crop growers and price controls would render wholesalers to not buy American …. With weakening dollar this won’t fight inflation at the source

Next , wholesaler needs to make money selling peanut and buy machines to make peanut butter and package peanuts

They sell to retail, small businesses, restaurants …

If that price isn’t lower and it won’t be , and then wages are not capped,

customers will not see a cap on price levels and if Biden mandates that then you lose retailers from the marketplace

How exactly does this plan work ?
Like most libs, Biden does not understand supply and demand. If he did, he would not have flooded the US with liquidity and cut oil supplies, which is a recipe for inflation.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:27 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,224,575 times
The Biden admin is clueless - and it shows. This statement by him is a perfect example.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:33 AM

3,159 posts, read 2,740,448 times
Old-time football coach Herman Edwards has a saying that sums it up best:

"A goal without a plan is a wish".

Old 03-02-2022, 11:37 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,160,319 times
The first result would be layoffs. Then the remaining employees would either produce more or be replaced. Marginal businesses would fold. More jobs would be commission only. Salaried employees would be working many more hours. More people would become salaried employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies