Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 12:24 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,344,839 times

Advertisements

When I type in "rise of authoritarianism" on google all the talking heads tend to mention Trump and conservatives.... few seem to care about the progressives when they get on their authoritarian streak, as if them telling me what to do is any better than the right telling me what to do.

Same thing when I search the term "illiberalism" ... the left needs to acknowledge their part in this with cancel culture, banning this, blocking that. Stop being part of the problem... the statist nannies that want the populace assimilated into their narrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 12:29 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,615,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
My employer should have no say in what opinions I hold. The only power they should have over me is the power to judge the performance of my duties and either retain me based on satisfactory performance or terminate me for a lack of performance.
I'm pretty sure most employers even in "liberal" locales won't fire someone openly saying "Welfare should be replaced with church or secular philanthropic charities", "We need more motion detectors along the border so as to better catch illegal entries", "gun control's gone too far", and such. What they're more likely to fire you for is if you advocate segregation by income/poverty status, support brutalizing illegal entries, and saying that people you deem 'distastefully different', 'unnatural', etc. are (and deserve to be treated as) second-class humans at best and deserve brutality at worst.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:31 PM

792 posts, read 372,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I'm pretty sure most employers even in "liberal" locales won't fire someone openly saying "Welfare should be replaced with church or secular philanthropic charities", "We need more motion detectors along the border so as to better catch illegal entries", "gun control's gone too far", and such. What they're more likely to fire you for is if you advocate segregation by income/poverty status, support brutalizing illegal entries, and saying that people you deem 'distastefully different', 'unnatural', etc. are (and deserve to be treated as) second-class humans at best and deserve brutality at worst.
Was the conductor actively supporting Putin's invasion or simply staying silent and then not acquiescing to governmental demands to denounce?

If the former, then I can see them dismissing him. If the latter, well...it's BS to give him such an ultimatum for not saying what they demand he say.

What else are you OK with your employer demand you say?
Or how you vote?
Or what car you drive?
Or who you live with?

From the article:
Quote:
What would happen if prominent Muslims were delivered ultimatums to denounce Islam after a Muslim terrorist attack or lose their jobs?
Indeed...

Old 03-02-2022, 01:50 PM

29,230 posts, read 22,475,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post
Was the conductor actively supporting Putin's invasion or simply staying silent and then not acquiescing to governmental demands to denounce?

If the former, then I can see them dismissing him. If the latter, well...it's BS to give him such an ultimatum for not saying what they demand he say.

Or how you vote?
Or what car you drive?
Or who you live with?

From the article:
Indeed...
I think this is more about the owners of the orchestra being unwilling to present a Russian conductor leading their enterprise.

It isn't good business. And since emotions are so high and angry, allowing him on stage could put him and their orchestra in real physical danger. Along with the building.

This really isn't about voting, driving, or employers being OK. All conductors of symphony orchestras everywhere are 'at will' hires; they can be fired for any reason at any time, anywhere.

And this guy isn't actually fired. He's still there, living life, and for all we know, has only been temporarily laid off.
But for a fact, he's close personal friends with Putin. They go way back. So I think he will eventually lose his job for good.
Their life is always migratory, so I'm also sure there is some other orchestra in the world who will hire him. These guys are a very small group, and the good ones never have to worry about finding a job.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:51 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,615,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post

You misread my post. It's not about employers demanding I say something. It's about what is is is not OK to get fired for saying. If a business' bottom line'll be significantly impacted, then an employer has a right to restrict any speech by an employee that's a detriment to their legal and reasonable business operations. [/quote]

Quote:
Or how you vote?
If they support a candidate clearly calling for any subset of people to be deemed second-class citizens at best and worthy of oppression and especially death or enslavement (as certain political groups seem to imply not so subtlely), then that's such a grotesque violation of human dignity that the employer is within their rights to fire them. First, that sends a negative message to the community "It's OK to pay salaries using money my customer's hard-earned dollars!". Second, even aside from that, it'll damage the business's customer base.

Don't worry, they won't fire you for supporting a mainstream political party. Or even a hard-right or hard-left party that doesn't set out to advocate mistreatment of others.

Quote:
Or what car you drive?
Or who you live with?
Auto choice or who you live with (as long as they're of legal age) do not impact on a business' bottom line.

Old 03-02-2022, 02:01 PM

7,685 posts, read 8,775,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
What is next? Fire any Chinese person who refuses to denounce CCP and treatment of Uyghurs? Fire any American who refuses to denounce drone strikes or the Iraq war?
Not that one. It's an exception.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:52 PM

21,948 posts, read 25,318,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Not that one. It's an exception.
As an American were I employed in Iraq/Afghanistan, among the last of my worries about refusing to condemn American drone strikes on civilian targets would be that my Iraqi/Afghani employer might not like my attitude and fire me. Having some heads come off family members would concern me. Free speech really doesn't.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:21 PM

603 posts, read 276,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Cancel culture and social credit system is getting completely out of control now
It's not out of control. Sure, you lose 100 pts if you refuse to condemn the Russian leader, but you can make it up with multiple vax's (+33 pts per jab). Then just agree that "misinformation" needs to be banished, and you're above water.
Edit: I used "Russian leader" instead of ***** because I didn't want to risk lowering my own score.

Last edited by ElectronicOverlord; 03-02-2022 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: added important context

Old 03-03-2022, 05:24 AM

792 posts, read 372,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
You misread my post. It's not about employers demanding I say something.
I've misread nothing. It is you that doesn't understand the situation involving his dismissal

Nothing that I've read pointed to the conductor voicing an opinion supporting Putin in this war - if you have any evidence that that is what he did, post it

No, what I've read is that the mayor of the city demanded the denunciation - not the orchestra itself

From the story in the first post:
Quote:
Dieter Reiter, the mayor of Munich, said that Mr. Gergiev had failed to respond to a demand issued on Friday by Mr. Reiter that he condemn Mr. Putin's "brutal war of aggression" by Monday or be fired.
He didn't get fired for saying something, he got fired for NOT saying what he was told to say

And the head of the government of Munich demanded this - are you going to defend that?

Old 03-03-2022, 05:35 AM

51,690 posts, read 25,962,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
My employer should have no say in what opinions I hold. The only power they should have over me is the power to judge the performance of my duties and either retain me based on satisfactory performance or terminate me for a lack of performance.
Lucky you don't live in Russia then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies