Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 10:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,150,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yes, good point. And in Ukraine, men are staying behind and fighting, unlike in the Middle East.
Not really many are fleeing.

There are a bunch of vloggers on YT that are documenting their experience live. You will see plenty of fighting age men leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Actually the men are not allowed to leave Ukraine. They are expected to fight. Pretty sure this is reported in mainstream media.
Many of them are getting out.

Check out Johnny FD for example. He documenting this experience in Ukraine right now. Many young are fleeing and getting out.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:18 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,178,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yes, good point. And in Ukraine, men are staying behind and fighting, unlike in the Middle East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Actually the men are not allowed to leave Ukraine. They are expected to fight. Pretty sure this is reported in mainstream media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Of course it has. However, do you think they're fighting begrudgingly like a conscript army?

I honestly believe the great majority of Ukrainian men will willingly fight for the lives of their families and future of their country.

YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Right.

Because that's their cultural expectation. If they're attacked by a foreign country, healthy men fight, and protect the women and children and elderly.

Zelensky BANNED Ukrainian men 18-60 from leaving.

Zelensky ordered the "conscription of conscripts..."

Zelensky is just as bad as Putin.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:24 AM

53,547 posts, read 35,263,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Relaying observations. Right...

No, it's a narrative they want to keep on promoting - the "racial reckoning" narrative of the past 2 years since George Floyd. Ukrainians cannot be allowed to replace POC as victims, not even while their country is being destroyed.
in a nutshell.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:39 AM

3,415 posts, read 4,490,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I'm all for treating refugees humanely, wherever they are from. But I also believe in being totally honest about the nuances of different cultures and situations.

There is a difference in taking in short-term refugees from a nation on the same civilizational level vs long-term refugees from a culture with more medieval sensibilities.

The Ukrainians arent going to riot if some cartoonist draws an unflattering picture of Jesus.
The Ukrainians arent going to be misled by ambitious clerics into fighting for separate religious law schooling.
The Ukrainians dont come from a country where rape isnt a crime and girls are imprisoned for fornication if assaulted.
And most importantly, the Ukrainians are going to return home as soon as they are able. Why? Because their culture is on the same level as their neighbors, they have confidence in their ability to have the same or better quality of life in their homeland as they could have in their host nation. Middle Eastern refugees know that they will return to a s***hole country and live in poverty and will never again have it as good, so they are more likely to try and stay.
Hmm, I dunno about that. Ukraine's GDP per capita is like $4k. I'd hardly say they are on the same "civilization level" as the West even though they aspire to it, and its dubious that they would go back ,if they had the option to stay, for economic reasons. I do agree that they are less likely to cause long term problems than Middle Eastern refugees and will most likely be a less of a burden since their women work and they aren't pumping out kids.

As far as the thread topic goes, I will say that it's easier to open your homes and borders to neighbors fleeing conflict than people from halfway across the world.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:47 AM

79,229 posts, read 61,343,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Zelensky BANNED Ukrainian men 18-60 from leaving.

Zelensky ordered the "conscription of conscripts..."

Zelensky is just as bad as Putin.
If Zelensky has his conscripts invade another country then you'll have a point.

For now, you're arguing that a guy firing back at a home invader is just as bad...and making zero sense.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
That's like saying Churchill was as bad as Hitler.

One side is trying to liquidate the other, and I'm guessing the aggressor is just a TAD worse than the other.
Difference for Churchill is when Churchill became leader, he was inheriting an already large empire that was created through conquest, bloodshed, and exploitation over prior two centuries or more.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:56 AM

9,549 posts, read 7,126,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Many of them are getting out.

Check out Johnny FD for example. He documenting this experience in Ukraine right now. Many young are fleeing and getting out.
I saw some stories about the pictures of young men leaving. Turns out, the young men pictured are not Ukrainian.

Old 03-06-2022, 05:44 PM

79,229 posts, read 61,343,429 times
Looks like this propaganda thread was like the others, post and flee any actual discourse, just put words out into cyber-space.

Old 03-06-2022, 05:55 PM

15,604 posts, read 10,621,595 times
"Even some reporters are saying "This is not the Third World", "civilized cities", "not impoverished and remote populations", "they're like us", etc. -- as if Syrian and Afghan refugees are any less human than people from Ukraine!!! I'm white anglo and even I picked up on this subtle racism"

Many Syrian and Afghan refugees are dirt poor, however being poor has never meant you are less human. I don't understand people who look for racism behind everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies