Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 05:31 AM

59,516 posts, read 27,655,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And the teacher was most likely told to go there by the school for workman's comp exam.

But of course no one knows what actually happened.

So why is the media reporting it? Literally all they know is teacher went to ED for an exam. That's it.
"So why is the media reporting it?"

"The will ALWAYS go to the nth degree just to entice us to read, watch or listen to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 05:33 AM

59,516 posts, read 27,655,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Plenty. An enraged 5 year old child can kick, hit, use an object, bite, head butt, and use other means to do a great deal of damage to a teacher. A child who has no comprehension of the pain and damage they are inflicting on another individual hits with a fierceness that an adult worried about hurting another person does not. Battery is at times the appropriate word to describe what a five-year-old child tries to do to an adult in a classroom. Try to keep in mind, that even though the teacher is larger in size, most find themselves helpless to defend themselves due to being very, very hesitant to touch the child, even in self-defense. Chances are good that they can be fired or criminally charged even if the child hits them, spits on them, bites them, kicks them, or head butts them and they were just trying to protect themselves or even other children.

I have known multiple kindergarten teachers who have had their arms broken, teeth knocked out, or other lasting damage done to them by 5 year old children. This is particularly a problem in the special education field and schools that serve at risk populations such as inner-city schools.

You cannot base all children’s behavior in public school just on the behavior of the children you know, because not all children in public schools are like the children you encounter in your daily life. The children in your daily life are probably nurtured, loved, cared for, and do not live in an environment where witnessing violence is a normal part life.

In their career 24% of all teachers will end up being injured badly enough by a student that they will have to miss at least one day of school. Thousands each year end up in emergency rooms with legitimately serious injuries, not just a little boo-boo.
Sorry, if an ADULT teacher CANNOT handle a 5 yer old, they should NOT be in the classroom in the 1st place!

Old 03-05-2022, 06:51 AM

8,829 posts, read 5,152,353 times
"At all time our campus was secure" LOL It was a five year old. This world has gone raving mad.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:13 AM

30,454 posts, read 23,912,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I suppose these things should no longer be shocking these days.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teacher-b...204258168.html
Quote:
...The teacher was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital with non-life threatening injuries for treatment and evaluation...
Could the media be any more dramatic?

They know good and well what they are trying to put into people's minds.

"taken to...(the) hospital..." What does that bring up in people's heads?

"non life threatening injuries" Had to make sure they said 'life threatening' and 'injuries' in there instead of something more rational like, 'for a minor scratch' and/or 'small bruise', because that's pretty much all a 5 year old child would be able to inflict.

Edit: Meh, Quick Enough beat me to it.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:41 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,940,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes teachers have a difficult job these days as if teaching in itself isnt hard enough they take heat from all sides.
Things have changed so much since I was in school. Students were actually disciplined for bad behavior, now the teacher is often disciplined for the students bad behavior.
Here where I live a teacher isn’t allowed to restrain a child.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:01 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,253,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sorry, if an ADULT teacher CANNOT handle a 5 yer old, they should NOT be in the classroom in the 1st place!
You continue making the same wrong assumption - that all 5-year olds are like the ones you encounter in your life. The teacher can not handle the kid because at this juncture no one can without physically manhandling them or chemical intervention. Here’s what you are missing, if your rule is someone who can’t handle that kind kid doesn’t belong in the classroom, given the rules teachers must operate under, then there is hardly anyone who can be in classrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Here where I live a teacher isn’t allowed to restrain a child.
Exactly, and as is true in most states.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:11 AM

35,831 posts, read 21,221,932 times
It happens but 5 yr olds normally have aids in the room. No one could contain this child ? It’s a slippery slope if you touch the kid. Maybe need panic buttons installed. Seriously .

Old 03-05-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Could the media be any more dramatic?

They know good and well what they are trying to put into people's minds.

"taken to...(the) hospital..." What does that bring up in people's heads?

"non life threatening injuries" Had to make sure they said 'life threatening' and 'injuries' in there instead of something more rational like, 'for a minor scratch' and/or 'small bruise', because that's pretty much all a 5 year old child would be able to inflict.

Edit: Meh, Quick Enough beat me to it.
Quote:
During the 2015–16 school year, higher percentages of elementary public school teachers than of secondary public school teachers reported being threatened with injury (11 vs. 9 percent) and being physically attacked (9 vs. 2 percent) by a student.
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/...t20_228.70.asp

From testimony before the state legislature in Nebraska:
1st Grade teacher:
Quote:
A student hit me, kicked me and closed the door on me, resulting in several bruises. I started taking antidepressants after school that year. This year, at 9 months pregnant, I had a student throw scissors at me, throw chairs in the classroom and verbally abuse me and other students. All of these occurred in a general education first grade classroom setting.
Kindergarten teacher:
Quote:
"I was punched in the stomach while pregnant on more than one occasion. I ended up losing my baby. My doctor couldn't say it was because of it, but I know it was."
The only profession more likely to be injured by an act of violence on the job are the police.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It happens but 5 yr olds normally have aids in the room. No one could contain this child ? It’s a slippery slope if you touch the kid. Maybe need panic buttons installed. Seriously .
Depends on the state and/or district. But, yes, they need panic buttons in classrooms.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:37 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,391,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"There was “an incident that occurred in school today requiring a staff member to be transported to a local medical facility"

This is why most of the media has lost so much respectability.

The will ALWAYS go to the nth degree just to entice us to read, watch or listen to them.

Like the"kid who cried wolf", we DON'T believe them anymore!

They used the word "battered" but give NO real info on the incident.

And a 5 YEAR old "battered"?

"battered

adjective
  1. In deplorable condition.
  2. Hit or pounded repeatedly and violently with heavy blows;
Probably was just bitten. What else can a 5 year old do?
Well, you cannot put your hands on them; that would be a law suit waiting to happen. Not saying this is what happened here, but if the kid was out of control......
Just bitten can be painful, not to mention chance of infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies