Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 10:00 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,065,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes in my day you got "cracks" if you did something bad. My 8th grade teacher had a paddle hanging in the classroom with his college fraternity letters engraved on it K E K. When asked what K E K stood for he said Kill Every Kid, that teacher was well liked and respected. It was not uncommon for teachers to snatch you up and take you to the principal's office. And if you got in trouble at school, you got in trouble at home.
I got hit by the board of education (that is what the teacher called it) when I was in 8th grade. It was a long heavy paddle. I was innocent that time but there were times I was not caught and maybe deserved it. you can rest assurred I did not tell my parents about the incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 10:34 AM

36,653 posts, read 30,960,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The first question that her Administrator will ask is what did she do to deescalate the situation. The second question will be what did she say that caused the student to act out in that manner. The third question will be how many parent contacts has the teacher initiated. The fourth question will be to ask what behavior modification techniques has the teacher previously used.

If the Administrator really wants to double down he'll have his staff posse start tracking the teacher and reporting her shortcomings directly to him.

The conclusion will be that the teacher had weak classroom management practices and she will be placed on intense supervision to include weekly meetings with both the school based Administrative team and Central Office Instructional Supervisors to help make her a better teacher. Then she'll be fired.

Saw it too many times over the years.
What the administrators, the public, the parents, the powers that be have forgotten is that the teachers are there to teach academics not to teach other people's children how to behave properly. That should have been instilled in them before they entered school. IMO if any child can not behave properly they should be denied continued public school attendance.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:55 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,974,017 times
Quote:
What the administrators, the public, the parents, the powers that be have forgotten is that the teachers are there to teach academics not to teach other people's children how to behave properly. That should have been instilled in them before they entered school. IMO if any child can not behave properly they should be denied continued public school attendance.
At a relatives kid public elementary school, a child had 27 incidents of violence against other students over a 2-year period. The school refused to intervene because of the mom, my baby, my baby, I'll sue you routine, as well as the fact that the kid was a minority. No matter what the school didn't want to take on a lawsuit. So other kids were HARMED. And I consider that intentional, since they knew the kid was violent.

What finally ended it?

Kid bit the sheriff's kid. Damage. When that lawsuit, by a LEO, was threatened against the school district, they finally acted.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:59 AM

45,536 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Quote:
This is where "Restorative Discipline" comes into play. Plus, in many areas courts or state Boards of Education have declared that while a school system may remove a student from school it may not remove or decline instruction.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:47 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Default Is Teacher Allowed to Discipline? Broward teacher hospitalized after 5-year-old student’s attack

Broward teacher hospitalized after 5-year-old student’s attack, police say (link)

This may sound like the teacher is ineffective, but, how can the teacher control the child without risking discipline, loss of career, lawsuits? Excerpt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah Local News
The student used fists and feet to hit his teacher shortly after 10 am, on Wednesday in the “Cool Down” room. The student was on time out after he and a 4-year-old started to throw things around and flip chairs.
This is what teachers and police officers have to contend with in these times.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:24 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
They are starting them younger and younger. By the time this kid is 12 he'll be an accomplished criminal.
They sure are, but in this "woke" society no one cares. Society has no rights, the social contract is broken.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:49 AM

59,302 posts, read 27,467,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There is no discipline in schools.

Teachers get fired for trying to get students to behave. Discipline isn't part of their job anymore.

Students get suspended for DEFENDING themselves if they are attacked by other students. The attackers, meh, baby slap on the wrist. The real punishment is for anyone who sticks up for themselves ... OR sticks up for others. That's a huge no-no. They would rather you stand there and just record your friend who is getting a beat down. Just let it happen.

They are training adults to be weak and kids to be animals with no compassion.
Which is why so many parents are taking their kids OUT of public schools if the can.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Then get arrested and lose their job.
Do you not realize these teachers are not allowed to touch the kids much less pick them up by the scruff of the neck and toss them.
As long as parents have the attitude that their little precious can do no wrong and no one better touch a hair on their head teachers will not be able to discipline students. Maybe when we see some lawsuits where in teachers and the school sue parents for their precious touching teachers and disrupting class student behavior will change.
Maybe we will see the parents acting like all those that went to the school meetings and did NOT take the garbage the school commissioners were dealing out and take BACK control.

Their actions even stopped a governor from getting re-elected.

They DO have a lot of power and have found they CAN use it.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The first question that her Administrator will ask is what did she do to deescalate the situation. The second question will be what did she say that caused the student to act out in that manner. The third question will be how many parent contacts has the teacher initiated. The fourth question will be to ask what behavior modification techniques has the teacher previously used.

If the Administrator really wants to double down he'll have his staff posse start tracking the teacher and reporting her shortcomings directly to him.

The conclusion will be that the teacher had weak classroom management practices and she will be placed on intense supervision to include weekly meetings with both the school based Administrative team and Central Office Instructional Supervisors to help make her a better teacher. Then she'll be fired.

Saw it too many times over the years.
The fiftth question is, did the parents INFORM the school about this child's actions and what have THEY done when the child acts up.

Old 03-09-2022, 06:27 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,202,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The fiftth question is, did the parents INFORM the school about this child's actions and what have THEY done when the child acts up.
The kids was in a self-contained special education class as a 5-year old, I assure you based on that the parents have told the school the kid has times they are uncontrollable.

Were they asked what they did at home when the child acts up? Assuredly, it would be part of the placement process.

Were they honest about how they handle it at home? Probably not, based on decades of looking at those screenings and later talking to the children. Parents may occasionally fess up to “every once in a while giving one or two swats on the butt” to the kid but most don’t for fear of the reaction that might produce from the school folks, let alone admit honestly the only thing that ever works at home is beating the tarnation out of kid with a belt and locking them in a room or locking them out of the house. Not that it matters, since rightfully schools no longer beat kids or lock them alone in rooms or closets, so it’s not like the information would help give employees a clue of how to deal with the situation at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies