Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 06:43 AM

36,582 posts, read 30,921,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Which is why so many parents are taking their kids OUT of public schools if the can.
Seems to me it is parents who created this by having a fit if their little precious was disciplined at school. In my day parents stood behind the teachers, at some point "corporal punishment" was disallowed without written consent and today a teacher cant even grab a kid by the arm without repercussions because parent want to get the teacher fired and sue the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 08:10 PM

35,124 posts, read 17,087,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
You’d be shocked, especially in a self-contained SDC classroom. I worked in these classes at all grade levels for two decades. I was hit, kicked, bit, spit at (often right in my face), had desks thrown at me, had a kid try to scratch my eye out, had kids try to stab me with pencils/nails,/whatever, had a kid try to smash my head with a boulder, had a kid throw a heavy-duty stapler directly at a teacher and hit them. I remember going into the “cool down room” to talk to a kid in crisis, who immediately jumped up, grabbed my button-up shirt with both hands and ripped it open. I've had students throw their own blood at me, and even had them throw their poop (that they dug out of their bottom) right at me. I have been in hundreds of restraints over the years with kids, and it’s always dangerous. I’ve seen kids get hurt in restraints, but more often adults get hurt in restraints. In my career, I was sent to the hospital about 4 times, maybe more, due to injuries from restraints… including broken bones (fingers), and one surgery.
Sounds like the movie "The Blackboard Jungle."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Seems to me it is parents who created this by having a fit if their little precious was disciplined at school. In my day parents stood behind the teachers, at some point "corporal punishment" was disallowed without written consent and today a teacher cant even grab a kid by the arm without repercussions because parent want to get the teacher fired and sue the school.

Insisting on any kind of discipline is considered to be not "woke." Even in Academic 1969-70, spitballing was tolerated in Sunday School. I remember that. I also remember, in 8th Grade Social Studies and Spanish I got in trouble if I hit someone who was sitting in the row behind me putting chewing gum in my hair. And this was in an affluent school district.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-09-2022 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:19 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The first question that her Administrator will ask is what did she do to deescalate the situation. The second question will be what did she say that caused the student to act out in that manner. The third question will be how many parent contacts has the teacher initiated. The fourth question will be to ask what behavior modification techniques has the teacher previously used.

If the Administrator really wants to double down he'll have his staff posse start tracking the teacher and reporting her shortcomings directly to him.

The conclusion will be that the teacher had weak classroom management practices and she will be placed on intense supervision to include weekly meetings with both the school based Administrative team and Central Office Instructional Supervisors to help make her a better teacher. Then she'll be fired.

Saw it too many times over the years.
The problem isn't the teacher. It's the child's home life causing them to act up like this. Some of these young kids are just angry and taking out their aggressions at school. My daughter had a 5 year old like this in her class. She would start stabbing other kids with pencils and hitting them. Teachers can't lay a hand on kids. All they can do is try and reason with them and try to calm them down. So this stops the education of the whole class. This was pretty much a daily occurrence so the vice principal got involved. She started kicking and hitting him. In this case, the parents just laughed off her behavior. It was found out later that the parents were going through a divorce. Teachers just don't cause kids to act violently like this. There is an underlying cause to their behavior.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:39 AM

35,124 posts, read 17,087,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The problem isn't the teacher. It's the child's home life causing them to act up like this. Some of these young kids are just angry and taking out their aggressions at school. My daughter had a 5 year old like this in her class. She would start stabbing other kids with pencils and hitting them. Teachers can't lay a hand on kids. All they can do is try and reason with them and try to calm them down. So this stops the education of the whole class. This was pretty much a daily occurrence so the vice principal got involved. She started kicking and hitting him. In this case, the parents just laughed off her behavior. It was found out later that the parents were going through a divorce. Teachers just don't cause kids to act violently like this. There is an underlying cause to their behavior.
Unfortunately the political climate of the day precludes favoring the rights of the majority over the rights of the disrupter. His or her self-esteem is the issue,not the educational process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies