Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 08:28 AM

30,735 posts, read 18,414,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
To be hyper-technical, you don't need a passport to leave the country. You need a passport to enter (the US or any other country, to my knowledge).
You don't even need a passport to reenter the US if you can prove your identity/citizenship another way, though this process will be painful and they may even fine you if you managed to leave without a passport (as opposed to just losing your passport while outside of the country). As a matter of course, however, if you're flying out of the country on commercial air, you're not going to be allowed on the plane if you don't produce a valid passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 08:42 AM

9,530 posts, read 5,330,605 times
$130 for a passport, $30 for a passport 'card,' and $160 for both. Validity 10 years.

A US passport is (for now) the best form of identification you can have. Even at $130, for ID only, that's less than an ID card (over the 10 yrs).

I probably don't have any issue with a state issuing free ID cards, but these documents cost money, which gets back to my original point. They cost money to produce, especially the passport, which has specific security paper so they cannot be duplicated (forged).

Old 03-06-2022, 08:48 AM

24,672 posts, read 17,416,316 times
Well they figure if you can afford to travel outside the country you can afford to buy a passport.

We pay for our drivers license too.

The only ID that should be free is a voter ID for anyone that needs one.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:58 AM

19,754 posts, read 10,197,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

The only ID that should be free is a voter ID for anyone that needs one.
Exactly, but they are not free. That means you are paying to vote.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:15 AM

33,341 posts, read 12,661,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
To be hyper-technical, you don't need a passport to leave the country. You need a passport to enter (the US or any other country, to my knowledge).

There is at least one (under normal circumstances/non temporary closure/no COVID restrictions) exception....Peace Arch Provincial Park (British Columbia)/Peace Arch Historical State Park (Washington state, USA), which the roadbeds of I-5 and BC-99 go through. When under normal circumstances, people can walk around on both sides of the border and back to their cars when they have finished enjoying the parks. The nearby parking lots in both countries are closely monitored. On the U.S. side there used to also be physical monitoring by personnel sitting in car in the parking lot on the U.S. side. It looks as though there may now be an additional building in that spot as well.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:19 AM

78,785 posts, read 60,996,406 times
If you have enough money to travel abroad you can afford the fee...handwringing about "the poor" being hurt is just that.

Second, if you live near the border and go back and forth it's less than $20 a year for the 10 year passport.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:21 AM

9,571 posts, read 4,398,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Just wondering, but why are passports not free? With all the money the federal government rakes in, they want more to get a passport to leave the country if you needed to. It's almost like it's a mafia and you need to pay an extortion fee to get out.
Are you serious? Replace the word "passport" in your question with anything else and you'll have your answer.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:21 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
$130 for a passport, $30 for a passport 'card,' and $160 for both. Validity 10 years.

A US passport is (for now) the best form of identification you can have. Even at $130, for ID only, that's less than an ID card (over the 10 yrs).

I probably don't have any issue with a state issuing free ID cards, but these documents cost money, which gets back to my original point. They cost money to produce, especially the passport, which has specific security paper so they cannot be duplicated (forged).
I got mine in 2015. It was $125 then. Guess it went up a few bucks.

But really? All that's going on in the world and a small fee for a passport is what grinds your gears?

Old 03-06-2022, 09:22 AM

20,304 posts, read 21,058,581 times
Still paying twice.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:30 AM

33,341 posts, read 12,661,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post

Bolded the above, not to complain at all about the passport fee, but only to point out that DLs/IDs in some states (perhaps not where you are/Vermont) cost less than $130 over a 10 year period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies