Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 12:13 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times

Advertisements

https://www.kxan.com/news/national-n...dable-housing/

I have really ambiguous reactions to this article and others I have read like this one. Total empathy on my part over the challenges of starting a new life in a new country. I am just perplexed that so many are trying to find housing in Southern Cali, NYC and Washington D.C. Many educated US citizens can’t afford to live in those places either. It seems that grocery stores and mosques can be established any place. Why not TN, OK, TX, AR, LA, MS, MO ??? I would think there are many more affordable places…….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 01:59 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,297,310 times
Their rents will be free or heavily subsidized by the government. They have the "refugee" status.

They prefer to live in nicer areas as daycare, colleges, healthcare will be free for them. They don't want to send their children to bad schools.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:03 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Who spends $200 taking an Uber to look at a home 90 minutes away?

These are extended families trying to live together so it makes it challenging to find someone willing to rent a home to 11 to 13 people living under one roof.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:29 PM

92 posts, read 27,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
https://www.kxan.com/news/national-n...dable-housing/

I have really ambiguous reactions to this article and others I have read like this one. Total empathy on my part over the challenges of starting a new life in a new country. I am just perplexed that so many are trying to find housing in Southern Cali, NYC and Washington D.C. Many educated US citizens can’t afford to live in those places either. It seems that grocery stores and mosques can be established any place. Why not TN, OK, TX, AR, LA, MS, MO ??? I would think there are many more affordable places…….
Actually, OKC and Tulsa have taken around 1800. They are being put up in nice hotels, bussed over to a special school to learn English and social skills, fed, clothed, and provided free daycare while the parents learn how to function here.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:39 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Their rents will be free or heavily subsidized by the government. They have the "refugee" status.

They prefer to live in nicer areas as daycare, colleges, healthcare will be free for them. They don't want to send their children to bad schools.
Well you don`t want them to live in poor black neighborhoods, where they are going to learn how to smash and grab, or car jack.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Well you don`t want them to live in poor black neighborhoods, where they are going to learn how to smash and grab, or car jack.
Yes, many refugees prefer to live in Santa Monica. The ocean is nearby, schools and colleges are good.
Corona, CA is for working-class Americans.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:48 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Because they also have a huge sense of entitlement without being able to pay for it themselves.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:53 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Because they also have a huge sense of entitlement without being able to pay for it themselves.
Yep, like a $200 Uber ride.

Old 03-06-2022, 03:13 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post

Those aren’t necessarily state by state issues.
Any of the cheaper states mentioned have fantastic options and are affordable. They just have very poor rural areas that drag the stats down. Many of the cities and towns are just fine. I’ve lived in 4 of the states mentioned by the OP and would take most any of them over high-priced coastal areas even if money were no object.
Certainly a quantum leap over Afghanistan.

Old 03-06-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Those aren’t necessarily state by state issues.
Any of the cheaper states mentioned have fantastic options and are affordable. They just have very poor rural areas that drag the stats down. Many of the cities and towns are just fine. I’ve lived in 4 of the states mentioned by the OP and would take most any of them over high-priced coastal areas even if money were no object.
Certainly a quantum leap over Afghanistan.
Those poor rural areas usually have the mentality "Local Americans with excellent English are preferred".

If rents are free, it makes sense to live in unaffordable areas as menial jobs are plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies