Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 04:18 AM

7,410 posts, read 3,559,084 times

Advertisements

i run a progressive household in terms of what my kids have access to. i don’t shield or withhold information from them. as a parent, it is my job to educate them first and foremost. i could never understand why sex education even needs to be taught in school aside from the biological facts about reproduction in an age appropriate manner. i also have no problem with std/pregnancy education for middle and high schoolers. so why go beyond that? what makes it a school issue to talk about fetishes?

in my opinion, 3rd graders don’t need to learn about theories on genders and sexuality. it is not age appropriate and if a parent so wishes to teach their kid about it, they certainly have the freedom to do so.

Old 03-13-2022, 05:20 AM

20,128 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Parents have always had the right to remove their kids from sex ed courses. But where is this taught in kids under 8. It's taught in high school, maybe middle schools now because it involves teenage pregnancy. DeSantis is just grandstanding now, with this parental rights bill. The internet is a wealth of information where these kids can learn anything and everything. So they will just learn about sex ed there.
Based on an education oriented symposium I attended last year at minimum schools in these states or specific districts within them do:
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Maine
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New Jersey
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin
  • DC
I doubt this is the full list, as this was not presented in a session specifically addressing sex education. I am also sure there are teachers all over the nation who take it upon themselves to teach it whether it’s in the authorized curriculum or not.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:02 AM

4,563 posts, read 2,282,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
i run a progressive household in terms of what my kids have access to. i don’t shield or withhold information from them. as a parent, it is my job to educate them first and foremost. i could never understand why sex education even needs to be taught in school aside from the biological facts about reproduction in an age appropriate manner. i also have no problem with std/pregnancy education for middle and high schoolers. so why go beyond that? what makes it a school issue to talk about fetishes?

in my opinion, 3rd graders don’t need to learn about theories on genders and sexuality. it is not age appropriate and if a parent so wishes to teach their kid about it, they certainly have the freedom to do so.
^^^ this

Old 03-13-2022, 06:17 AM

19,259 posts, read 17,129,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Why a corporation feels the need to lobby the government personally about a law should concern everyone. The fact this law is unrelated to Disney’s business empire is even more concerning.
This is nothing new it happens all the time, don't feign shock that this has occurred.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
VA for one when I was stationed up there.
Where in VA?

Old 03-13-2022, 06:19 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,024,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Where in VA?
Quantico.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Quantico.
Thanks

Old 03-13-2022, 06:24 AM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Why a corporation feels the need to lobby the government personally about a law should concern everyone. The fact this law is unrelated to Disney’s business empire is even more concerning.
The larger concern is politicians getting a involved in school curriculum and dictating to teachers.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:42 AM

21,954 posts, read 9,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Parents have always had the right to remove their kids from sex ed courses. But where is this taught in kids under 8. It's taught in high school, maybe middle schools now because it involves teenage pregnancy. DeSantis is just grandstanding now, with this parental rights bill. The internet is a wealth of information where these kids can learn anything and everything. So they will just learn about sex ed there.
But not in schools. And this isn't 'sex ed'. It's radical LGBTZXYZ grooming.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:43 AM

21,954 posts, read 9,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The larger concern is politicians getting a involved in school curriculum and dictating to teachers.
No, it's not a concern. Parents have every right to care about what is being shoved down their kids' throats.

This isn't necessarily about sex ed either. It's about teachers pushing their wokeness on little kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies