Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 08:56 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
Science has proven that humans are most attracted to their closest like kind. Just how we are, but there shouldn’t be any law from preventing interracial marriage.
Well, I have a history of being attracted to women not of my race. A long history. What do you think explains people being attracted to those outside of their race?

If it's natural to stick to your own kind, why were there laws against interracial marriage? Why were Jim Crow laws so rampant?

Old 03-26-2022, 09:51 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They will not go, but rather become - as should be the case - state's rights issues again.

Its highly likely Mississippi wins it SC case. Its less likely the SC goes past terminating the federal government defining viability to outright overturning all aspects of Roe.

Brown vs Board of Education overturned a precedent, also. Should Plessy v Ferguson have stayed the law nationally?
I don't agree any of these things should be states rights as many states have already shown they cannot manage these issues without trampling peoples rights.

How the Supremes rule on the MS case remains to be seen and any ruling could look the same as overturning all aspects of Roe in some to many states....so same diff in my book.

Plessy was wrong because it upheld jim crow laws which were unconstitutional as well as never even enforced in the sense of giving black citizens equal education. With few exceptions black schools were woefully inadequate compared to white schools.

Whether or not Brown v Board of Ed solved anything is a much longer discussion. Many states avoided enforcing it. The County I lived in was not declared de-segregated until sometime in the 90's. Schools are more segregated now than ever for many different reasons and as a result many black children still are not receiving an equal education.

We cant go back in time, but one has to wonder if Plessy or some modified version re education(not all the other dehumanizing things like water fountains, rail cars, hotels, etc.) would not have been more beneficial to all children while social attitudes were allowed to run their course and improve. The last time I looked for studies of children from that era there was little data and mostly anecdotal information from people who lived through it. It was a mixed bag for both black and white people.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:06 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I don't agree any of these things should be states rights as many states have already shown they cannot manage these issues without trampling peoples rights.

How the Supremes rule on the MS case remains to be seen and any ruling could look the same as overturning all aspects of Roe in some to many states....so same diff in my book.

Plessy was wrong because it upheld jim crow laws which were unconstitutional as well as never even enforced in the sense of giving black citizens equal education. With few exceptions black schools were woefully inadequate compared to white schools.

Whether or not Brown v Board of Ed solved anything is a much longer discussion. Many states avoided enforcing it. The County I lived in was not declared de-segregated until sometime in the 90's. Schools are more segregated now than ever for many different reasons and as a result many black children still are not receiving an equal education.

We cant go back in time, but one has to wonder if Plessy or some modified version re education(not all the other dehumanizing things like water fountains, rail cars, hotels, etc.) would not have been more beneficial to all children while social attitudes were allowed to run their course and improve. The last time I looked for studies of children from that era there was little data and mostly anecdotal information from people who lived through it. It was a mixed bag for both black and white people.
Yep. Alot of states have proven, if left in their hands, would do things that would trample other people's rights. When many states were left to their own devices, Jim Crow was rampant. Even when the Supreme Court said "no more Jim Crow" there were states ready to rebel, and fight to the death. It took federal enforcement to stop it.

I don't know if schools are more segregated than ever. What I do see is that some people look for ways to avoid integration.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:24 AM

9,511 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I skipped to 2:22. Saying that interracial marriage should have been left up to the states, it's tone-deaf to put it politely. There is a reason we have the Loving v Virginia ruling. Virginia, left to its own devices, violated the Constitutional rights of its residents through racial discrimination. Braun does not seem to realize this or care. Or worse, is probably okay with interracial marriage being illegal.
There's nothing "tone-deaf" about adherence to the Constitution. You want to pick and choose which parts of the Constitution should be enforced based on your pet issue du jour. If you don't like the 10th Amendment, start a campaign to have it overturned. Good luck with that. In the meantime, it should be enforced - just like every other Amendment. Or, do you we apply your "logic" across the board and ignore the other Amendments as well because some people get all sandy when things don't go their way? Contemplate what your suggesting - please.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:36 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
I skipped to 2:22. Saying that interracial marriage should have been left up to the states, it's tone-deaf to put it politely.
It's called following the Constitution. Not that you care about our founding documents.

Quote:
There is a reason we have the Loving v Virginia ruling. Virginia, left to its own devices, violated the Constitutional rights of its residents through racial discrimination. Braun does not seem to realize this or care. Or worse, is probably okay with interracial marriage being illegal.
Falsely playing the race card yet again. Sleazy.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

And you don't think Presidents or the Federal government doesn't? lol

Old 03-27-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Well, I have a history of being attracted to women not of my race. A long history. What do you think explains people being attracted to those outside of their race?

If it's natural to stick to your own kind, why were there laws against interracial marriage? Why were Jim Crow laws so rampant?
lol No one has said people always stick to their own kind except you. That's what happens when you don't care about the truth and make things up. It's dishonest.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:58 AM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
And you don't think Presidents or the Federal government doesn't? lol
Exactly. Democrats JFK and LBJ totally ignored Brown v. Board of Ed. Wouldn’t enforce it. It took Nixon, a Republican, to finally desegregate the southern states' schools. And that's when southern states started voting R.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:05 AM

34,062 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. Democrats JFK and LBJ totally ignored Brown v. Board of Ed. Wouldn’t enforce it. It took Nixon, a Republican, to finally desegregate the southern states' schools. And that's when southern states started voting R.
JFK told Civil Rights leaders in 1960, he could sign an EO Day 1 desegregating public housing. 1 year in, it was NOT signed. They joked, angrily, "He must have lost his pen".

Old 03-27-2022, 07:12 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times
Republican Senator Says Supreme Court Should Have Never Legalized Interracial Marriage

Senator Braun, in the year 2022, in these United States of America, let the white hood show from under his tailored suit.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 03-27-2022 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.