Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2022, 09:16 PM

4,391 posts, read 1,701,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not natural for a culture to change due to massive illegal immigration and it's certainly not lawful. That would be the illegal way to do it.
That sounds an awful lot like Replacement Theory to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 10:43 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Embrace our differences instead of our similarities? No thanks.
A dog is a dog is a dog despite the difference in its origins. The analogy totally went over your head, didn't it?

Quote:
I don't object to legal immigration in limited numbers to those we actually need and that are willing to assimilate into our society. My main objection is to illegal aliens who are raping our country financially, had no respect for our immigration laws and that are changing our identifying culture and language in an unnatural and unlawful way yet that poster you replied to finds fault with that?
Where are your ancestors from? How long did it take them to "assimilate" into "our society"?

How, exactly, are immigrants changing "our identifying culture"? Can you even define what that "identifying culture" is, exactly?

What is a natural way to change culture? Because of there's an unnatural way, that's gotta be a natural way, no? How do they differ? How are illegal immigrants being unnatural?

Quote:
It's not natural for a culture to change due to massive illegal immigration and it's certainly not lawful. That would be the illegal way to do it.
Gee, I wonder if the native tribes of North America in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries thought the same thing ... ?

Old 04-07-2022, 10:56 PM

148 posts, read 113,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I live in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood. Without fail, every weekend (and some weekdays), there is Mexican music BLARING from someone's backyard, morning noon and night. It's so common, I have to wonder if congenital deafness is prevalent in Mexico. I don't have a problem with someone preferring their own music, food, etc. but it seems as though a lot of the immigrants have no consideration for anyone other than themselves. This goes for the fireworks at every opportunity, shooting guns in the air for celebration, etc. This may be perfectly acceptable in their own country, but in the US, it's not. No one is asking immigrants to lose their cultural traditions unless they infringe on other's rights.

Immigrants should also refrain from criticizing the US or Americans. That really gets under my skin - no one invited you here and if you don't like it, you are free to leave.
It's a cultural thing. Mexicans just really like music. I lived in Mexico City for a while and found it to be the noisiest place I've ever experienced. I could leave my window open at night but as soon as the businesses started opening at 8am, I had to close it because of the music and street noise. Walk down the street for 5 minutes and every shop you pass will have a speaker outside blasting some type of banda or reggaeton.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:19 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Quote....."any educated Chinese person knows that language changes every day" and yet you provided no proof of that and WTH does that even mean?
I was referring to a person in China who understands linguistics and/or is smart enough to know that this is simply how language works.

Quote:
Why would I find it fascinating to not understand what a person is saying? Should I learn every language in the world so that I can?
Your last sentence is kind of an dumb and unnecessary remark. I will ignore it. You might find it fascinating if you had a more curious and knowledge-seeking mind. To admit you do not is honest. Fair enough.

Quote:
This is the U.S. our national de facto language is English and I certainly wouldn't want us to lose that due to unassimilating immigrants and certainly not massive illegal immigration from mostly one linguistic group. Why can't you understand that?
I do understand that you don't want that to happen. You have made that very clear.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:27 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I live in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood. Without fail, every weekend (and some weekdays), there is Mexican music BLARING from someone's backyard, morning noon and night. It's so common, I have to wonder if congenital deafness is prevalent in Mexico. I don't have a problem with someone preferring their own music, food, etc. but it seems as though a lot of the immigrants have no consideration for anyone other than themselves. This goes for the fireworks at every opportunity, shooting guns in the air for celebration, etc. This may be perfectly acceptable in their own country, but in the US, it's not. No one is asking immigrants to lose their cultural traditions unless they infringe on other's rights.

Immigrants should also refrain from criticizing the US or Americans. That really gets under my skin - no one invited you here and if you don't like it, you are free to leave.

Really?

One of the great things about the U.S. is the freedom we have to criticize our government without expecting to be retaliated against by the government.

Do you think immigrants should be denied that privilege, or do you just think that no one should criticize the government ?

Old 04-07-2022, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Did you not read your own link? 71.5% of that area are Hispanics. Also many Hispanics call themselves plain ole white when most Cubans are not nor are most from south of our border. They are of mixed race.

It is vert difficult to get a job in Miami unless you speak Spanish. Most businesses there require it. As I have asked, why haven't the Cubans assimilated linguistically into our country after 60 years? They don't call it Little Havana for no reason, you know.
When did you live in Miami ?

Old 04-08-2022, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Dang. Quick and deadly!

I’m good with it, mostly because I grew up with it and feel most at home in heterogeneous neighborhoods. I don’t expect first generation immigrants to ever fully assimilate, but in my experience the kids usually do a pretty good job of it. They tend to lose a lot of their “old country” culture, I’ve found, but that’s highly variable.
Same here.

My affluent Bay Area suburb wasn't as heterogeneous as yours, but my particular street was close. I also spent a lot of time in S.F. (many of my relatives on my father's side live there) and Berkeley while I was growing up.

Old 04-08-2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Mostly because I’m not sure what you mean by unnatural. It’s highly natural for cultures to change. That’s why the west isn’t a continuation of the Roman Empire or something.

Unlawful is a different discussion, and merits its own sidebar. I think you can immigrate illegally - it’s plain fact, the government has statutes on this - but you can’t alter culture illegally.

Either way, I don’t know that it merits the level of worry you have. Heavily immigrant areas aren’t always some cesspool of insanity or something. Often they’re quite clean and pleasant, and the language barrier is usually not as hard as you make it out to be.

But again, I grew up in a minority-majority place, so it was cast in my mind as “normal” to figure out how to interact with sometimes very different people. My experience and yours are going to be very different on that count.
That poster you're replying to would have preferred the makeup of your hometown in the 1950s, not as it was when you were growing up, nor as it is today.

Old 04-08-2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Quote....."any educated Chinese person knows that language changes every day" and yet you provided no proof of that and WTH does that even mean?

Why would I find it fascinating to not understand what a person is saying? Should I learn every language in the world so that I can?

This is the U.S. our national de facto language is English and I certainly wouldn't want us to lose that due to unassimilating immigrants and certainly not massive illegal immigration from mostly one linguistic group. Why can't you understand that?
Because it motivates people to challenge themselves and learn.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:37 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
What’s not natural about it?
A changing culture would be a natural process via legal immigration not illegal immigration and the latter is also unlawful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies