Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2022, 11:46 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post

Do you honestly expect two Japanese or German or French expatriates - who are here as immigrants - not to use Japanese or German or French when they're alone? I mean, if they're in a NYC subway train and they're going to a bar for happy hour and no American colleagues are with them, do you really think they MUST speak English?

Oh, at a bar during the 2014 World Cup, I saw a bunch of German fans wearing German jerseys talking in German. This was in the U.S. Were those Germans wrong to use German with fellow Germans?
Why do people freak out when they hear a non-English language being spoken? Is it just some sort of right-wing temper tantrum? Do they want to be able to follow someone else's private conversation? Do they think the speakers are talking about them? I live in a strongly mixed culture community and can hear English, Spanish and any number of Indian languages spoken on any day. I was at a McDonalds a while back and heard five languages being spoken: English, Spanish, Italian, Dine, and Keres. I was able to eat my burger and fries in peace. I am very pleased to see young Indian students speaking their own tribal language. Many of those languages are lost or will soon be lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
You don't think Southern California or New Mexico have a hispanic element or history to them? Have you clocked their place names for instance?

What is American culture? Seems to me it's an amalgamation of all the people who immigrated here to me and it continues to change.
Yes. It is sad that there is such ignorance about language and history in the US. That is part of the American heritage. We have towns here in New Mexico that have been occupied for almost 1000 years. The Spanish-speakers arrived 400 years ago. English-speakers arrived less than 200 years ago. The Spanish were here before Jamestown was settled and some mission churches date back to the 1620s when my Pilgrim ancestors were fumbling around on Plymouth Rock. There might be over a dozen Indian languages or dialects spoken here. Some communities use a Spanish dialect that was common in the 17th century and not spoken elsewhere. When I was living in Missouri there were efforts to revive the old "Paw-paw French" dialect of the early settlers. There is some pride in retaining a language or a dialect. That is true even in English. There are 24 different English dialects spoken in the US. Should we all just settle on one and forget all of the others?

American English itself was a melting pot of Latin, French, German, Gaelic, Saxon, and Dutch before it ever landed in the New World. Then other languages were poured in -- African, Spanish, Indian, Slavic, and many others. To answer my own original question -- I can't help think that the ranting we hear on this topic is just simply a manifestation of ignorance and racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 12:18 PM

1,870 posts, read 843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Why do people freak out when they hear a non-English language being spoken? Is it just some sort of right-wing temper tantrum?

its not right wing, left wing, or anything politics.
its human nature, you want to be included and your worry they are talking about you, and they might be. Its like they are hiding some thing from you.

but its not liberal, conservative, left or right, it just nature

Old 04-09-2022, 01:22 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why don't you read the first paragraph of the post you responded to, since you seem to be dancing around the point of what he's saying? People aren't "embracing" non-assimilation of Spanish-speaking people. We just don't care.

Your whole problem seems to be everybody else instead of doing some self-examination. You said you were in your 70s. I'm right behind you. By now we have learned that most of the time in life, the battle is the self with the self, not others, have we not?

You want illegal immigration addressed. Fair enough. Most people agree with you on that, your obsession with dividing people into liberal or non notwithstanding. That's a game you play that not everyone else joins in on.

But people aren't going to stop speaking their language just because some old man keeps hollering about it day after day, and people aren't going to care about it to the high degree you do just because you keep hollering about it, either.

Is this how you want everyone to remember you, the old guy yelling from morning 'til night about how he despises "those people" and how he can't understand why everyone else won't yell along with him? Yes, you will be remembered with amusement, just as the memories of my own grandfather always railing about the Italians and Catholics moving into our small white Protestant town in the 1960s make us laugh fifty years after his death. The world didn't end when a Catholic church was built in my hometown and a couple of pizza places opened, and the grandchildren of the Italians all speak only English.

There may very well be a Spanish-speaking community in your city long after you are gone. Or another group may move in that you haven't even anticipated. It won't matter, because you won't be here. But meanwhile, maybe dig down deep and try to understand within yourself why it bothers you so. Then see what changes you can make within so it doesn't bother you so. This is about you, not about "this country" or "the English language" any of the other things you say that don't quite ring true. YOU. Then figure out what YOU can do to bring about change. Maybe reach out to that community and offer to teach them English. Then you might be remembered for something more.
What part about this is mostly about illegals aliens as to why we are hearing so much Spanish being spoken do you constantly refuse to get? Just because I can't control it and haven't even tried to doesn't mean I don't have a right to my opinion in this forum. Why is it always considering to be "hollering"? If you want to go that route then there are just as many posters in here who are "hollering" with their opposite opinion.

Why would I want to teach illegal aliens, English? They need to be deported not educated and I don't have the authority to deport them either. That's our government's job. If I can't be remembered for being a patriot by those on the constant attack in her for wanting to retain our identifying culture and language and not wanting us to become balkinized then they are no skin off my nose and I couldn't care less what xenophiles think of me anyway.

If you and any others in here are offended by my opinions then feel free to put me on ignore.

Old 04-09-2022, 01:33 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The only difference between legal and illegal is paperwork.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
It's much more than simply paperwork. Legal status requirements entail conditions such as language competency, self-sufficient economic productivity, 'good moral character', registration for potential military service, continued legal habitation for a number of years, and other such conditions. It's not some mass trivially replicative brand that anyone who steps over the border can just wave their arms and declare their legitimacy to the full rights and benefits of American citizenship.
Our ancestors did it. Maybe we should all be deported back to the country our ancestors came from. Wouldn't that be a hoot. No more celebrations of different cultures --- we'd all be as one.

Old 04-09-2022, 02:50 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
its not right wing, left wing, or anything politics.
its human nature, you want to be included and your worry they are talking about you, and they might be. Its like they are hiding some thing from you.

but its not liberal, conservative, left or right, it just nature
No, it’s not nature.

It’s an example of insecurity.

Old 04-09-2022, 02:53 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
"We want illegals in the country, we just don't want them seen or heard in our communities."

Old 04-09-2022, 02:55 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What part about this is mostly about illegals aliens as to why we are hearing so much Spanish being spoken do you constantly refuse to get? Just because I can't control it and haven't even tried to doesn't mean I don't have a right to my opinion in this forum. Why is it always considering to be "hollering"? If you want to go that route then there are just as many posters in here who are "hollering" with their opposite opinion.

Why would I want to teach illegal aliens, English? They need to be deported not educated and I don't have the authority to deport them either. That's our government's job. If I can't be remembered for being a patriot by those on the constant attack in her for wanting to retain our identifying culture and language and not wanting us to become balkinized then they are no skin off my nose and I couldn't care less what xenophiles think of me anyway.

If you and any others in here are offended by my opinions then feel free to put me on ignore.

Why in the world would you think the bolded makes you a patriot ?

Old 04-09-2022, 02:58 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
I just hate how these pro-illegals love to live in the past to justify illegal immigration into our country today. Most of our ancestors came here within the immigration laws and policies in place at the time. Those policies had to change with the times. Nobody born here to citizen or legal immigrant parents can be deported. Why should they be? They didn't do anything wrong and they belong here! You can't send them back to the country of their ancient ancestors and again, why should they be?

Ethnic celebrations are fine for a day but not ethnic takeovers via illegal immigration. I fought during Viet Nam and I was right in the thick of that battleground so it should be understandable why I would want secure borders and illegal immigration repelled for many reasons but no, I get nothing but personal attacks and snide remarks instead! One of the drawbacks of illegal immigration is an unnatural and unlawful change to our demographics, identifying culture and language. I don't wish us to become another Mexico or any other Latino country. I doubt that Mexico would welcome an invasion with English overtaking Spanish either and rightly so!

Hearing Spanish all day long no matter where you go is like pouring salt in the wound. It's mostly because of illegal immigration but it's also from unassimilating Hispanics who either refuse to learn English or refuse to speak it when they know how to and don't care how loud they speak it either. It's disrespectful, IMO. I would never do that if I moved to one of their countries.

I don't despise these people like another poster claimed and I have never said that I do. I just want those here illegally to go home (and that includes all illegals) and for legal immigrants to assimilate into our society. I guess that's just too much to ask from some in here. They'd rather name call instead. I risked my life for this country and then to see it overtaken by an illegal invasion just saddens me to no end. It's hard to feel at home in your own country anymore. It feels like Mexico most of the time when all you here is Spanish being spoken everywhere you go. It wasn't that way a coupe of decades ago. Gee, I wonder why that is? Can't be from Hispanics that were born and raised here.

Old 04-09-2022, 03:02 PM

4,391 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I just hate how these pro-illegals love to live in the past to justify illegal immigration into our country today. Most of our ancestors came here within the immigration laws and policies in place at the time. Those policies had to change with the times. Nobody born here to citizen or legal immigrant parents can be deported. Why should they be? They didn't do anything wrong and they belong here! You can't send them back to the country of their ancient ancestors and again, why should they be?

Ethnic celebrations are fine for a day but not ethnic takeovers via illegal immigration. I fought during Viet Nam and I was right in the thick of that battleground so it should be understandable why I would want secure borders and illegal immigration repelled for many reasons but no, I get nothing but personal attacks and snide remarks instead! One of the drawbacks of illegal immigration is an unnatural and unlawful change to our demographics, identifying culture and language. I don't wish us to become another Mexico or any other Latino country. I doubt that Mexico would welcome an invasion with English overtaking Spanish either and rightly so!

Hearing Spanish all day long no matter where you go is like pouring salt in the wound. It's mostly because of illegal immigration but it's also from unassimilating Hispanics who either refuse to learn English or refuse to speak it when they know how to and don't care how loud they speak it either. It's disrespectful, IMO. I would never do that if I moved to one of their countries.

I don't despise these people like another poster claimed and I have never said that I do. I just want those here illegally to go home (and that includes all illegals) and for immigrants to assimilate into our society. I guess that's just too much to ask from some in here. They'd rather name call instead. I risked my life for this country and then to see it overtaken by an illegal invasion just saddens me to no end. It's hard to feel at home in your own country anymore. It feels like Mexico most of the time when all you here is Spanish being spoken everywhere you go. It wasn't that way a coupe of decades ago. Gee, I wonder why that is? Can't be from Hispanics that were born and raised here.
Not if you speak Spanish!

Old 04-09-2022, 03:10 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default I disagree sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
The demolib leadership pushes the agenda & narrative that American's need to be diverse in the sense that we must honor and respect the way(s) of life of those who immigrate into the US. If you do not do this, you are many things, which include but is not limited to being a racist, bigot, prejudice, etc. etc. etc.

With that said, the vast majority of those immigrating to the US, especially illegally, don't give a rats arse what America is. They are here to make it their own country, including all that goes along with that.
Its a heavy lift to leave everything you have known and come to a strange land and start over. Kudos for legal immigrants.

But sometimes what they have come to accept as the norm, gets in the way of their adoption of the American way of life.

For example, I brought over engineers from the break-a-way republics to work in fortune 500 companies. But sometimes these immigrant workers could not or would not fit in. The Soviet style of worker's relations required the employer to contract with each worker from the "git go" every job requirement. If the employer asked the worker to learn a new skill, the immigrant worker literally would wave a little book that he/she received back in the USSR detailing job duties. And refused. Not good.

Back in the day, I worked with Hungarian freedom fighters, same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies