Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 10:50 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are definitely some big racists on CD and when I see it, I report it. The problem is that with idiots of that magnitude I don't always see it because they're on my ignore list.
I have reported idiotic types, Black, White, Hispanic, etc. There are times when lines get crossed and you can put up with anyone's mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I didn't realize the maintenance department followed the students to Florida.
What is that supposed to mean, exactly?

Old 04-01-2022, 11:20 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Every 4th photo on your link is a white person.

Also, as someone who lives near a beach community Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Pleasure Island, I laugh when I hear people try to argue white people dont bring guns to the beach, They literally get drunk and fight and pull guns on each other all the time, but I guess since they are locals, it doesnt count ???? LOL
I think we are all well aware that yes, white people also commit gun crimes. It pains me to think I have to explain explicitly that I was talking about the majority of cases.

Each year in the US about 50% more blacks are killed with guns than whites despite a 6-1 population difference so we all know what's going on and it's got nothing to do with skin color predisposing people in any fashion but the impacts of history on culture and poverty.

So, right there I'm debunking one of the white supremacists talking points.

But pointing out the glaringly obvious that blacks are far more likely to have rowdy beach outings escalate in gun play somehow ruffles your feathers? Maybe you didn't know about the disproportionate amount of gun violence that plagues poorer, browner communities more so than others?

Old 04-01-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I didn't realize the maintenance department followed the students to Florida.
That's a sad, rude little post. You should consider getting out more, a lot has changed, there's even color television now.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
That's a sad, rude little post. You should consider getting out more, a lot has changed, there's even color television now.
Not only that, there is something about backhanded remarks that evokes a kind of mealy-mouth mentality. The "maintenance workers" remark, I start thinking "dog-whistle" remark.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Perhaps.

Another way to look at it and since we're both a bit older this may resonate.

Remember in the 90's when the media and politicians (both parties) trumpeted young black men as "super predators" and it was just constant barrage of "dangerous young black men"? Pushing an unfair narrative.

Well that wormed eventually turned and in recent years it's now the "dangerous bad white people" 24-7 where white supremacy is everywhere and white people are inherently racist and bad etc. etc. etc. much of this (once again) just being a political angle that's being worked.

So, there is definitely a backlash to some of that and I do that at times because I think divisive racial narratives should not be supported or tolerated. Heck, you can't even get through the democratic primaries without the candidates being accused or racism or mysoginy...it's like tool #1 first to use.
In this case, I can't think of why anyone would bring up "diversity" and "affirmative action" in an event that has little to do with either.

I was a child in the 1990s. I'm 35 going on 36. I never heard about the "super predators" comment until I was older (like in my 20s). One reason I've lost all respect for Hilary Clinton. And one reason I saw her campaign as that "okey-doke" tactic. I ended up voting for Gary Johnson in 2016. I am aware of the picture those persons were trying to portray. I'm also aware of the "welfare queen" dog whistle from the Reagan years.

My use of the internet has increased rapidly starting in the mid 2000s. I used to frequent Yahoo! Answers in 2005-2006. It shocked me how many racist people would post on there. People posting about how much they hated Blacks, and they weren't beating around the bush about it either. The anger and resentment has always been there.

The "dangerous White people" stuff, I think this is more recent. We're seeing the rise of the woke, and those on the far left who only "shoot first, ask questions later". I don't remember any of this woke stuff existing between 2004-2015.

What I am seeing is alot of tit-for-tat. The anti-Black camp goes on about "Black people are lazy, dangerous, and a burden", and then the woke camp comes with "White males are evil".

As for this thread, I think about this. The racial resentment, anger, and rage has always been there. I tend to consider that many of the comments I'm seeing are just a continuation of what has never really ended.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. How do you know they’re “Yankees”?

Isn’t Miami very liberal? Perhaps folks take that into account when not worrying about consequences.
Miami has a Republican mayor. Miami also has a large Cuban population, which plays a sizable role in it being a city with a Republican mayor. While some Democratic mayors have served, Miami is one of the few large cities where Republicans get elected.

Personally, I think the criminals who keep on committing violent crimes in Miami simply don't care. The most violent parts of Miami are Carroll City, Overtown, Lemon City, Liberty City. Gangland did an episode on Zoe Pound in Miami. One police officer said that many of the gang members don't care if they live or die, and that the death penalty doesn't scare them.

I don't know how many people get locked up in Florida for their crimes. However, part of me is inclined to believe this: Yes, we should lock up violent criminals. However, more seem to keep coming. Many don't seem to care what the consequences are.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:12 PM

I thought about something. Someone mentioned the Spring Break mayhem going on at Miami Beach. This is one thing that occurred to me. Up to the 1960s (possibly the 1970s), Blacks were not allowed in Miami Beach, except as domestic (and domestics had a carry a card with them to prove they were allowed to work there). There are some people who probably wish Miami Beach (and other beaches) were off limits to Blacks. I'm not saying everyone thinks this way. I am saying that it wouldn't surprise me to find people who feel this way. Part of me considers that there are people who will use the latest violence going on at Florida beaches as their justification for "Blacks should be allowed at beaches or anywhere that non-Blacks frequent. They're violent and should be kept segregated from the rest of the public".

Being a Black man myself, let's just say I'm thankful the days of "no Blacks allowed" are over. I'm thankful I was born in the 1980s and anyone can go where they please. However, I do think about these latest events and how some people might use them to justify supporting a "no Blacks allowed" kind of thing. One of the reason talking about events like this gets sticky. There are those who have a prejudice mindset and will bring that to the table.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:57 PM

2,284 posts, read 637,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Miami has a Republican mayor. Miami also has a large Cuban population, which plays a sizable role in it being a city with a Republican mayor. While some Democratic mayors have served, Miami is one of the few large cities where Republicans get elected.

Personally, I think the criminals who keep on committing violent crimes in Miami simply don't care. The most violent parts of Miami are Carroll City, Overtown, Lemon City, Liberty City. Gangland did an episode on Zoe Pound in Miami. One police officer said that many of the gang members don't care if they live or die, and that the death penalty doesn't scare them.

I don't know how many people get locked up in Florida for their crimes. However, part of me is inclined to believe this: Yes, we should lock up violent criminals. However, more seem to keep coming. Many don't seem to care what the consequences are.
Just about everyone committing crimes of that magnitude in Miami Beach is from some other state - NY, Georgia being the two most common states.

The local criminals, for whatever reason, don't cause that many issues. Maybe it's because the police setup plate scanners on the causeway and catch them whereas some idiot from Georgia in a rent-a-car will come in just fine.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In this case, I can't think of why anyone would bring up "diversity" and "affirmative action" in an event that has little to do with either.

I was a child in the 1990s. I'm 35 going on 36. I never heard about the "super predators" comment until I was older (like in my 20s). One reason I've lost all respect for Hilary Clinton. And one reason I saw her campaign as that "okey-doke" tactic. I ended up voting for Gary Johnson in 2016. I am aware of the picture those persons were trying to portray. I'm also aware of the "welfare queen" dog whistle from the Reagan years.

My use of the internet has increased rapidly starting in the mid 2000s. I used to frequent Yahoo! Answers in 2005-2006. It shocked me how many racist people would post on there. People posting about how much they hated Blacks, and they weren't beating around the bush about it either. The anger and resentment has always been there.

The "dangerous White people" stuff, I think this is more recent. We're seeing the rise of the woke, and those on the far left who only "shoot first, ask questions later". I don't remember any of this woke stuff existing between 2004-2015.

What I am seeing is alot of tit-for-tat. The anti-Black camp goes on about "Black people are lazy, dangerous, and a burden", and then the woke camp comes with "White males are evil".

As for this thread, I think about this. The racial resentment, anger, and rage has always been there. I tend to consider that many of the comments I'm seeing are just a continuation of what has never really ended.
Well i'm over 50 and I can tell you for a fact that it's gotten a lot better IRL and it's skewed by (as usual) a bunch of small people acting big on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies