Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2022, 02:30 PM

408 posts, read 291,364 times

Advertisements

Parents of school children K-12 especially K thru 3rd grade should be included in ALL school events and happenings and the mental health of their kids and from when I was in school and to this day I see this is still the norm. Usually parental permission for all field trips. Parent weekly or daily progress reports to bring home, which they must sign and kids bring back to class.

Open house and way beyond that. When a child feels sick a parent is phoned by the school administrator

DeSantis of Florida raised concerns about parents not being included in discussions triggering kids to question their gender identity and I see very few cases like this and the few we’ve seen are cases of teachers not following school policy and being dismissed for not following policy. This is not the norm at all.

That said there’s cases where I feel like the parental rights violations are for LEGIT reasons and here are some off the top of my head

1) A child at school cries to a teacher or guidance counselor that he wants to dress like a girl and that his dream is to become a girl. He is scared stiff to tell this to his parents because the one time his parents saw him dressing like a girl…. They beat him with a belt and they spanked him and they bruised him. When the teacher explains they have to share this conversation with the parents he begs please don’t I don’t want to get hurt pleeeeaaaaaaase I won’t talk about this ever again… and sobs on the floor
How should a school handle this ?

2) A child expresses interest in a child from a different culture, race, or whose parents are gay. The kids has shown increased happiness since hanging out with his new friend at school. The parents , using racial slurs, tells the child he is not to ever hang out with that _____ or they will take away his computer, force him to sleep on the floor…. The kid decides to live his school life separate from home and then one night the parents call “hi who is my child hanging out with at school… WHO … Parental rights!!!

3) A child has divorced parents and both parents have custody of the child on different days. The child has a closer bond with the mother and loathes the days his father and step mom bring him to school because they are abusive per the child communicates. The child tells the teacher that the father told the child that if he gets any grade less than an A…. Father will injure both the child and the Child’s mother so he better get an A to save his mother’s life. Father also says if he shares this with the school and it gets back to him, he tells the child he will regret it so he better shut up .

In these instances wouldn’t there be appropriate exceptions where safety of child comes above certain parental guarantees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 02:36 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
Parents of school children K-12 especially K thru 3rd grade should be included in ALL school events and happenings and the mental health of their kids and from when I was in school and to this day I see this is still the norm. Usually parental permission for all field trips. Parent weekly or daily progress reports to bring home, which they must sign and kids bring back to class.

Open house and way beyond that. When a child feels sick a parent is phoned by the school administrator

DeSantis of Florida raised concerns about parents not being included in discussions triggering kids to question their gender identity and I see very few cases like this and the few we’ve seen are cases of teachers not following school policy and being dismissed for not following policy. This is not the norm at all.

That said there’s cases where I feel like the parental rights violations are for LEGIT reasons and here are some off the top of my head

1) A child at school cries to a teacher or guidance counselor that he wants to dress like a girl and that his dream is to become a girl. He is scared stiff to tell this to his parents because the one time his parents saw him dressing like a girl…. They beat him with a belt and they spanked him and they bruised him. When the teacher explains they have to share this conversation with the parents he begs please don’t I don’t want to get hurt pleeeeaaaaaaase I won’t talk about this ever again… and sobs on the floor
How should a school handle this ?

If a teacher suspects abuse they are a mandated reporter. No issue here.

2) A child expresses interest in a child from a different culture, race, or whose parents are gay. The kids has shown increased happiness since hanging out with his new friend at school. The parents , using racial slurs, tells the child he is not to ever hang out with that _____ or they will take away his computer, force him to sleep on the floor…. The kid decides to live his school life separate from home and then one night the parents call “hi who is my child hanging out with at school… WHO … Parental rights!!!

I dont know any parent that would cal the school and ask "who is my child 'hanging out with'"?

3) A child has divorced parents and both parents have custody of the child on different days. The child has a closer bond with the mother and loathes the days his father and step mom bring him to school because they are abusive per the child communicates. The child tells the teacher that the father told the child that if he gets any grade less than an A…. Father will injure both the child and the Child’s mother so he better get an A to save his mother’s life. Father also says if he shares this with the school and it gets back to him, he tells the child he will regret it so he better shut up .

If a teacher suspects abuse they are a mandated reporter. No issue here.

In these instances wouldn’t there be appropriate exceptions where safety of child comes above certain parental guarantees?

Every example above is a non-issue.

Try again.

Newbie.

This has been discussed to death already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies