Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2022, 03:37 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

California Releases Violent Criminals From Its Jails, Then Blames Guns For Their Crimes

The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms today said revelations that one of two suspects being held in connection with the deadly mass shooting in Sacramento was released from prison less than two months ago shows the problem in California isn’t guns, it’s prison system rules that allowed the man to be on the streets.

“Smiley Allen Martin has a criminal history dating back at least nine years,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb, “and he was doing a ten-year stretch for domestic violence and assault, yet thanks to the current credits system by the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, here he was in Sacramento at 2 a.m. in the middle of mayhem. He’s now facing new charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of a machine gun.

The Sacramento Bee is reporting that Martin has been in trouble with the law since 2013, when he was prosecuted for possession of a semiautomatic rifle and outlawed magazines, and then sentenced to “probation and county jail.” Less than a year later, he was arrested on robbery charges and sentenced to two years in prison. In 2016, after being paroled, he was back in trouble again, and the following year, he was arrested for the domestic violence and assault, and sent back to prison in January 2018 with the 10-year sentence. Yet he was released in February of this year, despite an objection last year by the Sacramento County District Attorney’s office.

Guns laws haven't changed. Regulations allowing more criminals on the streets have changed.

The last statement of the article can be applied to just about anything.

This is why the American people don’t support more gun control, and instead are buying guns for personal protection. They are realizing that when you trade your freedom for some sense of security, you ultimately wind up with neither.

When you trade your freedom for health care, you wind up with neither.

When you trade your freedom for financial security...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 04:10 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Why do we have this problem with such high prison populations? Is it the war on drugs? Are there that many people out there committing violent crimes or are a lot of them victimless crimes? I'm for enforcing (most) laws but something is definitely off about the United States.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...tes-by-country

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2022.html

So what do we do differently? Decriminalize all simple drug possession and make it so that drug use in an of itself won't get you arrested, but only if you commit other crimes like robbery or violence? The most annoying thing about police to me is always how they try to sniff out drugs when pulling people over. On the other hand we don't want cartels of drug sellers running rampant here either. We do have Mexico to the south.

Do we simply have more criminals when you factor in inner city elements? There's clearly a problem but for me it's not well defined.... I haven't done sufficient research. In theory I support obeying laws but I think there's some laws that are counterproductive, like drug possession.

Obviously you should not be releasing someone convicted of a violent crime especially related to use of a firearm.

Old 04-08-2022, 04:34 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Martin has been in trouble with the law since 2013, when he was prosecuted for possession of a semiautomatic rifle and outlawed magazines, and then sentenced to “probation and county jail.” Less than a year later, he was arrested on robbery charges and sentenced to two years in prison. In 2016, after being paroled, he was back in trouble again, and the following year, he was arrested for the domestic violence and assault, and sent back to prison in January 2018 with the 10-year sentence. Yet he was released in February of this year
Where have I heard most of that before.....??

Has anybody ever seen this guy and George Floyd in the same room at the same time?

Old 04-08-2022, 04:48 PM

19,218 posts, read 16,701,480 times
It's a shame this is happening here. Many of us (voters) don't like it but we're outnumbered

Old 04-08-2022, 05:03 PM

398 posts, read 206,648 times
The prison environment creates more sociopaths. Victimeless crime non violent person goes in and a violent person comes out.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:04 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Why do we have this problem with such high prison populations? Is it the war on drugs? Are there that many people out there committing violent crimes or are a lot of them victimless crimes? I'm for enforcing (most) laws but something is definitely off about the United States.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...tes-by-country

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2022.html

So what do we do differently? Decriminalize all simple drug possession and make it so that drug use in an of itself won't get you arrested, but only if you commit other crimes like robbery or violence? The most annoying thing about police to me is always how they try to sniff out drugs when pulling people over. On the other hand we don't want cartels of drug sellers running rampant here either. We do have Mexico to the south.

Do we simply have more criminals when you factor in inner city elements? There's clearly a problem but for me it's not well defined.... I haven't done sufficient research. In theory I support obeying laws but I think there's some laws that are counterproductive, like drug possession.

Obviously you should not be releasing someone convicted of a violent crime especially related to use of a firearm.
You know... if you put this under the filter of the depopulation agenda, allowing the criminals to continue their mayhem would seem to fit.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:24 PM

26,496 posts, read 15,079,792 times
So stupid you know it isn't the Babylon Bee, it is the modern left.

Democrats: In the name of equity we let violent criminals back out on to the streets. In unrelated news, guns have at the same time caused more violence in the under-served communities. Darn Republicans. Now we need more equity programs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies