Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 03:54 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,320,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmycountry View Post
We have national investors AND the Chinese buying up brand new homes in HOA neighborhoods- and this is the Midwest.
if they have more properties in a neighborhood than can win a vote (ie, more than 1/3 when 2/3 have to approve a rule change) then it's going to be a problem for that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 08:20 AM

37,962 posts, read 17,932,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
downplaying the number of foreclosures ("this number")?

I believe it's quoted, but ...

Even in '07-'10 - the foreclosure rate topped out at 2.3%

in 2019, foreclosures were almost unheard of. 0.39%

Now, there were about the same rate - with the moratorium - in 2020.

So, even if they TRIPLED to ~1% in 2021, they'd still be half of 2010.

If you want to focus on this issue - paying the mortgage - concentrate on the delinquency rate right now. And guess what - the delinquency rate was down for March.

Until about 4 months ago, nobody was getting ARM's. And ARM's that reset at a higher rate or even balloon and require refinancing - that's a HUGE part of the mortgage meltdown in 2008.
Agree with what you have presented.

In 1989 1 out of every 230 mortgages were 3% down or less. In 2007 it was 1 in 3. Default early the lender looses a ton. Collection costs, missed payments, high cost to fix the house prior to selling. No one fixes up their house when they don't have money for payments.

Down payments are the biggest barriers holding back those who want to own a home but don’t currently. 54% of that group say they can’t afford a down payment. Other common barriers include home prices being too high in their area (36%) and difficulty qualifying for a mortgage due to a low credit score (32%).

How do we "help"? Why the 2003 Down Payment Assistance Act of course. ... sigh

In a nutshell - A basic economic principle was violated. When standards are lowered, quality and efficiency suffer. Lowering standards to allowed people who never qualified, to qualify. They didn't qualify before the bubble and haven't since. Everything else is after the fact and made it worse. Like pouring gasoline on a fire. If standards aren't lowered, nothing bad happens.

"Easy money" strikes again.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:26 AM

yes, while I would - in the abstract - favor requirements that:

ARM's can't be < 7 yrs at original rate
to get an ARM, you must still DTI at the fixed rate OR
to get an ARM, you must have 20% down

the lenders have all the data they need to determine just who, from a financial standpoint, defaults on their loans.

And I daresay those categories, as of 2008, would be in this order:

Low downpayment
Low credit score at qualification
Excessive DTI

Old 05-03-2022, 08:42 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,253,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The US now has an average mortgage payment 35% bigger than at the peak of the 2006 real estate bubble.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wallstreets...us_are_now_35/

Mortgage interest rates on the 30 year have doubled under Biden.

Few saw the last bubble. Peter Schiff was mocked and even called a communist when he correctly called the last top. He sees another top.
Highly inflated mortgage rates + highly inflated housing prices = a recipe for a financial disaster.

New homes that were affordable two years ago are now squeezing family budgets. They have no equity and no path to refinance when mortgage rates drop. Without margin in their budgets, they are one unexpected, major expense away from foreclosure.

However, I don't expect housing prices to drop soon. Demand far outpaces supply.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 05-03-2022 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-03-2022, 09:15 AM

25,877 posts, read 16,591,624 times
I think the real estate is going to crash hard and then the deed in lieu of’s will be the thing again. History repeats.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:29 AM

9,976 posts, read 4,726,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Highly inflated mortgage rates + highly inflated housing prices = a recipe for a financial disaster.

New homes that were affordable two years ago are now squeezing family budgets. They have no equity and no path to refinance when mortgage rates drop. Without margin in their budgets, they are one unexpected, major expense from foreclosure.

However, I don't expect housing prices to drop soon. Demand far outpaces supply.

This sums it up well. The only thing that could help drop prices across the board market wise is if many of these cities people are fleeing or avoiding become or are made affordable. The vacancy rate in cities is probably higher than in surrounding suburbs.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post

New homes that were affordable two years ago are now squeezing family budgets. They have no equity and no path to refinance when mortgage rates drop. Without margin in their budgets, they are one unexpected, major expense away from foreclosure.

if you mean "quickly-rising mortgage rates", sure.

To me, "highly-inflated" means "greater than normal/average/historical". And these aren't those.

I worried going into 2020 that would constrain the market more (we already had fairly low inventory) was the inevitable rise in rates to ~6%, and what Sellers holding refinanced mortgages below 4% would do when they started considering moving and looked at what they could afford with a 6% rate (ie, not a huge upgrade in houses).

So, rates dropping where "everybody" was at/below 3% AND huge rises in home prices has hurt the flow of new listings worse than I expected. And we could easily see those folks who had been in their house 10 years say "I'll wait another 5 and see how it shakes out".

Old 05-03-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
if you mean "quickly-rising mortgage rates", sure.

To me, "highly-inflated" means "greater than normal/average/historical". And these aren't those.

I worried going into 2020 that would constrain the market more (we already had fairly low inventory) was the inevitable rise in rates to ~6%, and what Sellers holding refinanced mortgages below 4% would do when they started considering moving and looked at what they could afford with a 6% rate (ie, not a huge upgrade in houses).

So, rates dropping where "everybody" was at/below 3% AND huge rises in home prices has hurt the flow of new listings worse than I expected. And we could easily see those folks who had been in their house 10 years say "I'll wait another 5 and see how it shakes out".
No, I mean highly inflated. It's nearly doubled in less than two years, along with the sharp increases in home prices and economic devastation of the pandemic.

The average home mortgage payment for new buyers is 30% more than it was in 2020 and you get less home for the buck.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:29 AM

did y'all complain when mortgage rates went from barely under 5% to under 3%? Did you call them "highly-deflated"?

Of course not.

Too many people choose to ignore the only charts/info that actually matter:

Median income/median home price in your location.
Affordability measures. Not "more" or "less" but only "affordable" or "not affordable"
Mortgage payment to disposable income.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
did y'all complain when mortgage rates went from barely under 5% to under 3%? Did you call them "highly-deflated"?

Of course not.

Too many people choose to ignore the only charts/info that actually matter:

Median income/median home price in your location.
Affordability measures. Not "more" or "less" but only "affordable" or "not affordable"
Mortgage payment to disposable income.
The jest of my OP (since you seemed to miss it) is that doubling the interest rate in an out-of-control housing market is a recipe for disaster.

That's not a complaint, that's an observation. The topic of this thread is "real estate bubble". My comments were related to that subject.

You are arguing with yourself for the sake of arguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies