Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2022, 07:06 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,964,157 times

Advertisements

I'm convinced 99% of what people label as racism in this country isn't racism at all.

If you have tattoos all over your neck and face, pants falling off your ass, and say "axe" instead of "ask" I'm going to assume you are a no good thug regardless of your skin color.

White people have altercations with other white people all the time, black people have altercations with black people all the time, but the second a white person and a black person have an altercation it's considered racism.

Most of the issues the black community faces today has nothing to do with the color of their skin, but the issues within their culture.

You need to identify the true problems in order to make things better, constantly calling everything "racism" isn't solving anything or fixing the root problem. In fact it prevents the problem from being solved as nobody wants to ask the hard questions or say what their thinking in fear of being labeled a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 07:16 AM

29,616 posts, read 14,763,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If it is an underclass problem, why is it that the white underclass does not have a high homicide rate?
Good question. And I'm sure the white underclass is much larger than the black.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:23 AM

21,495 posts, read 10,619,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Gangs do play a big role in violence. And not just Black gangs. Latino gangs too. Look at L.A Plenty of gang territories I wouldn't want to go into. Houston too. 5th Ward has been rough for a long time. It was rough when George Foreman lived there in the 1950s and 60s.
It’s always been rough. I started thinking about this when I noticed the apartments they built across the street from our neighborhood was only allowing people under a certain income. Well, no one in my neighborhood knew that about those apartments because as far as I can tell the crime hasn’t risen like people expect from low income housing projects. It’s probably because they’re new and there is no large organized crime gangs in the area. These people live a normal life even if they are poor. So it’s not poverty or race, it’s criminal organizations.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:25 AM

19,737 posts, read 10,175,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Good question. And I'm sure the white underclass is much larger than the black.
I have worked in white projects and black projects. Both are mostly single women with several kids, both have revolving door boyfriends and both have high drug use. The main difference is that murders are rare in the white ones and common in the black ones. Why?

Old 04-21-2022, 07:27 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,964,157 times
Quote:
I have worked in white projects and black projects. Both are mostly single women with several kids, both have revolving door boyfriends and both have high drug use. The main difference is that murders are rare in the white ones and common in the black ones. Why?
Culture.

It all comes down to the culture, but if you try to talk about or address that problem you're labeled as racist so it'll never be fixed.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:31 AM

29,616 posts, read 14,763,799 times
Quote:
And that is the big question. Lack of parental guidance is probably the number one cause, but not the only cause.

We had a shooting here in Detroit (one of the many last night) involving a three year old. The little person found a gun lying on the bed and negligently shot himself. He survived (just a craze) but the gun ended up belonging to his 16 year old brother. The father, whom they did live with was unaware (supposedly) that his 16 year old son had a gun.

This is another reason why stop and frisk works. See a bunch of 16 year olds hanging out at a gas station a 1:00am in the hood and at least one will have a firearm. That is just the sad reality of it. And people will scream about their rights, yet do nothing when our clueless politicians start chipping away at the 2A which is a direct result of this violence. The unfortunate thing, is people will end up losing rights regardless, but only one thing will actually help reduce the violence. And it isn't chipping away at the 2A.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
Culture.

It all comes down to the culture, but if you try to talk about or address that problem you're labeled as racist so it'll never be fixed.
I agree. Even my college sociology book listed the problem as culture, but when I mention it, I get shot down.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:33 AM

27,677 posts, read 28,786,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
With the Black population, I'm going to have to disagree. Black people who are poor today, their families were poor for generations, as far back as the end of the Civil War. Poverty in the Black population has literally been a generation after generation after generation process. Blacks went from being slaves to being a severely impoverished population.
It is difficult for people to understand how generational poverty has continued even after Jim Crow was abolished, the Civil Rights Act was passed and opportunities for upward mobility have been available to all Americans regardless of racial background.

How do so many people revert to criminal culture even in the most prosperous country the world has ever known? That is perplexing.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:34 AM

24,046 posts, read 15,161,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It’s always been rough. I started thinking about this when I noticed the apartments they built across the street from our neighborhood was only allowing people under a certain income. Well, no one in my neighborhood knew that about those apartments because as far as I can tell the crime hasn’t risen like people expect from low income housing projects. It’s probably because they’re new and there is no large organized crime gangs in the area. These people live a normal life even if they are poor. So it’s not poverty or race, it’s criminal organizations.
Years ago a group of moms who lived in low income subsidized housing formed a group. The purpose was to inform politicians that just because they were poor they did not want to live among criminals. I can't remember if the housing was local or the feds. A rule was made if an occupant was convicted of a crime, the family got evicted.

Works for me.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is difficult for people to understand how generational poverty has continued even after Jim Crow was abolished, the Civil Rights Act was passed and opportunities for upward mobility have been available to all Americans regardless of racial background.

How do so many people revert to criminal culture even in the most prosperous country the world has ever known?
Generational poverty has been there for many whites too. People who work minimum wage jobs today, mostly had parents who did the same. And people who live on welfare, many times come from parents who lived on welfare. I can show you families, both black and white who have lived on welfare since it was created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies