Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2022, 08:23 AM

73,143 posts, read 62,811,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is difficult for people to understand how generational poverty has continued even after Jim Crow was abolished, the Civil Rights Act was passed and opportunities for upward mobility have been available to all Americans regardless of racial background.

How do so many people revert to criminal culture even in the most prosperous country the world has ever known? That is perplexing.
Well, believe it or not, the Black middle class and the Black upper class have grown tremendously since the abolishing of Jim Crow. For those who have left the ghettos for good, life has gotten better.

Sadly, manufacturing jobs also started dwindling towards the 1970s. By the time Black and were finally allowed at the table, in a way it was almost too late.

The abolishing of Jim Crow and other discriminatory policies has helped. However, for some, it was too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
But why do they have more rage than young white guys in the same circumstances?
Love of money, people want what they don't have. People feeling threatened by everyone around them. Low trust environment. Being abused. Anger towards society at large. Why don't we see this kind of rage from middle class Blacks? Why don't we see this from rural Blacks? What is it about urban ghettos?

Old 04-21-2022, 08:45 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,964,157 times
Quote:
But why do they have more rage than young white guys in the same circumstances?
Liberal media brainwashing.

People think that thousands of unarmed black people die by police every year, reality is it's less than 20. Twice as many white people are killed by police than black people even though they commit the same amount of crimes.

Look how much the media covers a black person killed by police even if justified, yet the fact that an additional 2,500 black people died last year due to "defund the police" didn't even show up on CNN.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Look who I was responding to.
I don't want Stop and Frisk. Trump wanted to expand Stop and Frisk nationwide. I can't have that. I understand it could be me getting pulled over based on a hunch. I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016. I don't identify as a libertarian. I'm an independent. However, on some issues, I tend to lean libertarian. Guns and freedom of movement are among those issues. I am a gun owner and I make sure to keep a gun when doing DoorDash deliveries. I also have libertarian leanings on Stop and Frisk. I'm against it. I feel like S&F violates my 4th and 2nd Amendment rights. If I am not breaking the law or hurting anyone, LEAVE ME ALONE.

As long as I'm an American, I should be able to carry a gun and walk around unbothered. The Constitution guarantees the right to carry a gun. It also protects from unreasonable search and seizure.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:21 AM

29,633 posts, read 14,763,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't want Stop and Frisk. Trump wanted to expand Stop and Frisk nationwide. I can't have that. I understand it could be me getting pulled over based on a hunch. I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016. I don't identify as a libertarian. I'm an independent. However, on some issues, I tend to lean libertarian. Guns and freedom of movement are among those issues. I am a gun owner and I make sure to keep a gun when doing DoorDash deliveries. I also have libertarian leanings on Stop and Frisk. I'm against it. I feel like S&F violates my 4th and 2nd Amendment rights. If I am not breaking the law or hurting anyone, LEAVE ME ALONE.

As long as I'm an American, I should be able to carry a gun and walk around unbothered. The Constitution guarantees the right to carry a gun. It also protects from unreasonable search and seizure.
If we don't get the violence issues under control, you will be losing that right. Personally, I'd rather get pulled over than lose my right to protect myself. That's just me though.

Neither are good solutions, nor do they address the root causes.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If we don't get the violence issues under control, you will be losing that right. Personally, I'd rather get pulled over than lose my right to protect myself. That's just me though.

Neither are good solutions, nor do they address the root causes.
I've been frisked by a police officer. I hated every minute of it. I was 18 and it was humiliation for me to get frisked put in public.

This is the thing. Criminals will get their hands on weapons no matter what. They have no respect for anyone, not even themselves. Passing the buck to me is just stupid.

S&F involves both unreasonable search and seizure as well as possible 2nd Amendment violations. S&F is mainly used to search for weapons. You have a right to bear arms. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to protect yourself.

This is one reason I don't want to live in New York City.

I went to a grocery store one night to get dinner. I was openly carrying. A cashier got nervous about me having a gun. Another guy who worked there ensured me that I was allowed to carry my weapon into the store. Thankfully, no one frisked.

If I'm not breaking the law, I should be left alone. I really don't understand why I should be willing to give up certain rights.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:38 AM

19,740 posts, read 10,175,933 times
Quote:
I've been frisked by a police officer. I hated every minute of it. I was 18 and it was humiliation for me to get frisked put in public.

This is the thing. Criminals will get their hands on weapons no matter what. They have no respect for anyone, not even themselves. Passing the buck to me is just stupid.

S&F involves both unreasonable search and seizure as well as possible 2nd Amendment violations. S&F is mainly used to search for weapons. You have a right to bear arms. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to protect yourself.

I went to a grocery store one night to get dinner. I was openly carrying. A cashier got nervous about me having a gun. Another guy who worked there ensured me that I was allowed to carry my weapon into the store. Thankfully, no one frisked.

If I'm not breaking the law, I should be left alone. I really don't understand why I should be willing to give up certain rights.
We have constitutional carry. I only know two people who open carry, I know several who conceal carry. A couple local stores put up "No weapons" signs. They took them down after business disappeared.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:17 AM

29,633 posts, read 14,763,799 times
Quote:

Fair enough. Let the violence continue to the point our clueless politicians take away the right to protect yourself.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
We have constitutional carry. I only know two people who open carry, I know several who conceal carry. A couple local stores put up "No weapons" signs. They took them down after business disappeared.
I can conceal carry where I live. It's a "shall issue" state as far as conceal carry goes.

You live in a rural area, so the "no guns allowed" rule won't be popular. I live in a city. A small one though (population 215,000). Many places I could carry a gun. However, a few places might get nervous because of the clientele.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Fair enough. Let the violence continue to the point our clueless politicians take away the right to protect yourself.
Or how about people start voting out politicians who want to pull some fascist stunts. I still don't see why I should put up with having my 2nd AND 4th Amendment rights violated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies