Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 04:52 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
No way. You want to live in a country where the police can pull you over arrest you based on looks alone?? That sounds very unamerican.
Stop and frisk violates the 4th Amendment. It's the equivalent of a police state. I don't want to live in such a society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 04:58 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't understand the part where you conclude that poverty causes people to be violent. Most poor communities around the world are not violent places.
In this country, poverty is the excuse for violence. You know, those poor underprivileged youths are poor, so they're forced to break into stores and steal appliances. How else will they feed their families?

Culture causes people to be violent. It's no different than the cycle of child abuse.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Oh, Republicans know how to fix it, but they don't want to.

First thing they should do is legalize drugs or at least decriminalize the possession of the drugs. Get them on selling/dealing without a license later. It's the number one reason why kids are growing up in fatherless homes. Daddy is locked up on drug possession charges.

Now what the democrats can do is to fix the welfare system that right now, kicks the fathers out of the homes. Make it where the entire family gets help, not just the single women.

The Black leaders can do something too. Stop glorifying the gangster life. So many kids turn on the TV or watch movies where many Black entertainers are showboating the gangster lifestyle. Italians went through this too until finally the Italian Cuisine took over and replaced that mafia image. I see this with the Black Caribbeans where they get along with everyone much better than African Americans because when they come over, they use their food to get people together. Heck, you hear it from comedians that it takes the Black BBQ to bring everyone together, including that one White boyfriend. Need more of this and less hate.
Most politicians are not going to legalize drugs. One, prison is a business. Locking people up for drugs, well, it provides prison labor. Prison is supposed to punish people, but it's working that well.

I don't think Black leaders can stop the issues surrounding the glorification of gangster culture. IT SELLS. And it's not even Black leaders glorifying it. It's the entertainment industry glorifying it. Violence, gangster culture, it sells. If it makes money, it's going to be done. It is going to take EVERYONE not consuming such entertainment for that to stop. Not just Black people. If it doesn't sell, it won't be in pop culture.

And there is more. The violent lyrics in gangster rap reflect what has been taking place in the ghettos for decades. Violent crime has been a big problem in urban ghettos as far back as the 1950s. Gangster rap just provided the medium to express violence and anger.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
In this country, poverty is the excuse for violence. You know, those poor underprivileged youths are poor, so they're forced to break into stores and steal appliances. How else will they feed their families?

Culture causes people to be violent. It's no different than the cycle of child abuse.
Where did such violent culture come from? And why does it often not present among the educated and the middle class?

Think about it. This kind of violence is in poor, urban ghettos. Very rare to hear of Black people murdering each other in rural life, or if they're middle class and educated. This is specifically dominant in the urban impoverished ghettos.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:09 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
There is a serious black problem in the United States, and yes, it is largely ignored. The Democrats ignore it for political gain and the Republicans ignore it because I don’t think they know how to fix it.

Trump wanted to fix it, but the Democratic leaders of those cities and states told him to pound sand and refused to cooperate or come up with any solutions.

As long as the violence is contained in areas far away from normal folks, why should we care that uneducated black men without fathers kill each other? I feel sorry for the decent black people who get caught in the crossfire, but if the black mayors of those cities don’t even care, why should I?
I think that once organized crime takes hold in geographic areas and groups it’s very hard to overcome it. Poverty alone is not causing this, nor being black. There are apartments all over the suburbs in Houston that have people on public assistance, and most people are unaware they are in their neighborhoods because there is no large attendant crime or gang problem (at least none that I’m aware of). Yet in the traditional inner city neighborhoods like the 5th Ward or Acres Homes there is a lot of gang violence. There is a lot of Latin gang violence on the east side and southwest side.

Once criminal gangs are formed it’s hard to get rid of them.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:41 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Well done! May I add.............

There are a number of things that separates people from one another

It's called work ..............Hard Work.............not easy work.

I had a goal since childhood backed by supportive parents.
I worked hard all my life. Made enough to own a humble home in an nice neighborhood among people of a shared moral compass. Reinforced by commitment to family,religion and tradition. Working respectfully together to keeping our property and our residents and our community safe.

Unfortunately viewed by the ignorant as racist and segregated. Frivolous....

Please let me know if you ever hear of a famous millionaire celebrities that struggled long
and hard to work themselves up and out of the violence and poverty of housing projects
suddenly having a change of heart and wanting to move back because they miss home?

I'll help pack their bags........!
"Please let me know if you ever hear of a famous millionaire celebrities that struggled long
and hard to work themselves up and out of the violence and poverty of housing projects
suddenly having a change of heart and wanting to move back because they miss home? "

Great, true post!

Old 04-21-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think that once organized crime takes hold in geographic areas and groups it’s very hard to overcome it. Poverty alone is not causing this, nor being black. There are apartments all over the suburbs in Houston that have people on public assistance, and most people are unaware they are in their neighborhoods because there is no large attendant crime or gang problem (at least none that I’m aware of). Yet in the traditional inner city neighborhoods like the 5th Ward or Acres Homes there is a lot of gang violence. There is a lot of Latin gang violence on the east side and southwest side.

Once criminal gangs are formed it’s hard to get rid of them.
Gangs do play a big role in violence. And not just Black gangs. Latino gangs too. Look at L.A Plenty of gang territories I wouldn't want to go into. Houston too. 5th Ward has been rough for a long time. It was rough when George Foreman lived there in the 1950s and 60s.

Old 04-21-2022, 06:09 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
NO!! For as much as I value my life, I also say a resounding NO!! I have a LIVE FREE OR DIE mentality. I know all about stop and frisk. Unreasonable search a seizure. Violation of the 4th Amendment. I'm not breaking any laws, LEAVE ME ALONE!!

You don't know who could be a gang banger. Alot of murders are not gang related.

I know you don't care. What I do consider is that you're here to vent anti-Black anger. Just my opinion. And if you are, I really don't care where such animus came from.
"Unreasonable search"

Of course you are against it.

Where it HAS BEEN used, crimes went down. Heaven forbid we get some of the "gang-bangers" off the streets!

Young boys, I refuse to call trhm "men" were stopped when wearing a hooded sweatshirt with a "bulge" in the front pocket.

MANY were CARRYING A GUN.

And what happened? Most STOPPED carrying a gun and crime went DOWN.

If you are NOT willing to sacrifice a little embarrassment in order to get the thugs off then street, it will NEVER happen.

"Like they say, "If you are NOT part of the SOLUTION, YOU ARE part of the problem"!

Old 04-21-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
No way. You want to live in a country where the police can pull you over arrest you based on looks alone?? That sounds very unamerican.
2nd reply.

When I think of stop and frisk, I think about what Benjamin Franklin said.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Why would I give up essential freedom?

It's also the reason I'm very pro-gun.

Old 04-21-2022, 06:15 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Where did such violent culture come from? And why does it often not present among the educated and the middle class?

Think about it. This kind of violence is in poor, urban ghettos. Very rare to hear of Black people murdering each other in rural life, or if they're middle class and educated. This is specifically dominant in the urban impoverished ghettos.
Wide racial disparities in violence exist at all income levels.

Quote:
Majority Black neighborhoods have higher gun homicide rates than mostly white neighborhoods of the same socioeconomic status level, according to a new study published in JAMA Network Open by Wharton Professor Dylan Small and School of Arts & Sciences undergraduates Yuzhou Lin and Audrey Chaeyoung Cheon. Wei Wang, a senior research investigator at the Perelman School of Medicine; and David Harding, a professor of sociology at the University of California, Berkeley, were also co-authors.

Utilizing data from the Gun Violence Archive and American Community Survey, the researchers found that, among middle class neighborhoods, the rate of gun homicides is more than four times higher in neighborhoods with mostly Black residents than neighborhoods with mostly white residents.
https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/reg...-wharton-study
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies