Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2022, 12:40 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Hmm. Trying to think of which shows I have watched recently on Netflix:

Ozark - A little opposite sex kissing. No gay sex.
Better Call Saul - A little opposite sex kissing. No gay sex.
Broadchurch - A little opposite sex kissing. No gay sex.
You - Lots of heterosexual sex. Little if any gay sex.
Squid Game - A little heterosexual sex. No gay sex.
Maid - A little heterosexual sex. No gay sex.
The Crown - A little opposite sex kissing. No gay sex.
Virgin River - My wife's favorite. Lots of opposite sex kissing.
Bridgerton - I hate this show. But definitely a lot of heterosexual sex.
I haven't watched much from Netflix, but did view Ozark and Dead to Me (Christina Applegate). I didn't find these woke, but I tried Mindy Kaling's show, Never Have I Ever, which has critical acclaim and supposedly a family show. According to wiki: it has been praised for breaking South Asian stereotypes.

Asians are generally known to be socially conservative but Mindy can write a story from a young girls point of view, one that features a young girl who is desperate to have sex to guy of another race, to help liberalize Asian Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 12:41 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
I'd be interested in how Netflix is woke though. Yes, they fired somebody for innocuously using the n-word. But they also didn't cave to the woke crowd over Dave Chappelle.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:42 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
How silly to get so triggered over something like this new comedy-drama, He's Expecting. It's not a proposal for real life, people. It's fiction. There is always fiction out there that some people will like, some not so much. So people love horrible shows that depict a zombie apocalypse, or will watch any number of gruesome shows and movies that come out. But make a show about a pregnant man and people lose their minds.

Talk about missing the point. Shows like Walking Dead are obviously fantasy/horror and no one goes into it with any other expectations. Gay shirtless men lip-locking each other find their way into comedies, drama, suspense, you name it. They aren't a genre unfortunately. that would be easy to bypass.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:42 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I'd be interested in how Netflix is woke though. Yes, they fired somebody for innocuously using the n-word. But they also didn't cave to the woke crowd over Dave Chappelle.
I think the term woke is the new term used for describing anything somebody doesn't like.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:46 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Shouldn't LGBTQ people be able to find romantic shows that interest them? I don't hear them complaining about being forced to watch all the disgusting heterosexual romance shows on Netflix.
diversity and inclusion, man.

have 93% heterosexual, 3.7% bisexual, 1.5% gay/lesbian each and 0.3% trans.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:48 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Growing up in the 1950s I watched a lot of those shows that I still love today. Believe it or not I never vacuumed my house wearing pearls and high heels. Nor did I bring my husband his paper and slippers when he got home. Besides, I got home from work later than he did most of the time.
My mother was in her mid-20s/early-30s in the 1950s and she actually poked fun at those shows -specifically citing the whole house cleaning while wearing pearls and high heels thing. However, she was a product of the times and acquiesced to my father her whole life. Obviously, I can't prove without a doubt that the entertainment industry shaped who she was in some way, but its pretty clear that many young people are influenced by celebrities - particularly those in the entertainment industry. There's even such a thing as "influencers" these days who are famous simply for being famous. As such, its disingenuous to dismiss the impact entertainment has on what people think of as "normal". My Mom was much smarter than my Dad in many ways and there is no way she would have deferred to my father as much as she did had she been born 20 years later.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:55 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
diversity and inclusion, man.

have 93% heterosexual, 3.7% bisexual, 1.5% gay/lesbian each and 0.3% trans.
I really don't have an issue with the shows that are coming out. I've watched Euphoria, TransParent, and Sex Education and don't have any issues with it.

The problem, and I guess it really isn't a problem is how they are making programming as if everything you've listed is all equal, when in reality, it is as you've listed (assuming those percentages are correct). It's like the LGBT+ community is going over-board with pushing acceptance and "equity". I guess society just hasn't learned that forced inclusion and equity creates pushback, and just hurts their cause.

Old 04-20-2022, 01:09 PM

8,340 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've been a Netflix user for a long time and haven't seen that. You're probably choosing movies to watch that I don't.

I'm noticing everyone conveniently forgetting Netflix backed Dave Chappelle vs. cancellation by trans community.
You’re forgetting Chapelle is black.

Old 04-20-2022, 01:21 PM

1,213 posts, read 568,253 times
Netflix sucks. Period. Even if you delete the woke programming. It sucks.

Old 04-20-2022, 01:22 PM

1,699 posts, read 613,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Saw this just now -- headline from link below:

"Woke mind virus’: Musk diagnoses Netflix’s historic loss in subscribers"

And that is my question -- Are a great many people getting fed up with all the 'wokeness'? Or just a small minority?
Resounding yes! I cancelled my Netflix subscription early last year because they shifted to largely self made programming and it was all woke. Content created around woke messaging is horrible. The storyline and direction has to tip toe around the wokeness, and that just ruins the product. Amazon makes some woke stuff and then non-woke programming. I typically really like their non woke shows but their woke stuff sucks. If they go totally woke I will cancel them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies