Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 05:36 AM

1,568 posts, read 907,833 times

Advertisements

This is a big step for a state that has a congressional district called the Bullwinkle District. We have this because the dems drew lines that actually look like Moose antlers to get every last dem and remove every last R from a district they needed to win.

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php...inkle_district
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 05:38 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sure it's a regular media blackout. LOL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...wn-court-says/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/28/n...t-appeals.html

https://www.newsday.com/opinion/the-...uling-o7kc32fw

https://www.newsday.com/news/region-...-maps-bo149bg6

The bipartisan commission with 5 democrats and 5 republicans deadlocked, why is that a surprise. The legislature rejected their first map and the commission couldn't come up a second map and the legislature came up with their own plan which violated the process.

Their partisan version was most definitely Gerrymandered and the court was right to rule against them 5-4, it's problematic that 4 judges couldn't see past their partisanship to reject this latest map. But at least the courts are doing the right thing in having a master provide the new maps.

I hope that Hochul's running mate who is under investigation stays on the ballot, she deserves to have him remain.
Well, I never claimed there was a media blackout. I stated there is less of a deal being made about this ruling (compared to, say, rulings in Ohio or North Carolina, which went against Republicans). I'd say something similar about the Maryland case, which like this one also went against Democrats. There is coverage, but it's not to the same intensity (particularly on video news per what I've seen). I linked to two news articles, so I clearly don't think there's a media blackout

Old 04-29-2022, 05:43 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I didn't see a thread on this new ruling yet, so starting one.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/27/court-...ess-ny-senate/

It actually shocked me at how brazen Democrats were in NY, especially as New York's constitution explicitly disallows partisan gerrymandering. They could have come up with a more constitutionally sound map and been able to stave off this ruling, which was a close one at 4-3. This is an exclusively Democrat-judged appointed court, too, for what it's worth.

From what I understand, the process for drawing the maps now goes to a court-appointed special master.

Note, only congressional and state senate maps were challenged, so this ruling applies to them and not to state assembly maps.
I wish a court would have done the same thing decades ago in my state where the controlling dems split my county 4 ways to ensure it did get a repub majority when republican voting registrations were increasing to the point it was a majority.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:46 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
In general, the Federal Government stays out of the election process. Districts are drawn by each state. As a result, each states has its own ongoing battles as to who controls the pen that draws districts. Right now districts have been been in GOP hands in NC, Ohio and Florida and gerrymandered districts show it. Democrats now control NY districts for the first time since before World War II.

I'm not saying I agree with gerrymandering. Its not fair to the voting population. I am saying that that drawing districts is an ongoing political battle in almost every state and that almost every state has had laws and legal challenges to its laws on gerrymandering since the country was formed. In general, the power of the pen quietly draws away and those not in power, whine about it.

In other words, SNAFU.
"Democrats now control NY districts for the first time since before World War II."

Because so many ny repubs are moving south.

I run into more and more every day.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:47 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
The Democrats are trying to get around the court ruling. They haven't given up by a long shot.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The Democrats are trying to get around the court ruling. They haven't given up by a long shot.
They are. But, even in the case most favorable to them (and it's not clear that their plan would even work), the newly drawn maps would still be in place for 2024; their best bet is to use the current maps for this cycle due to time constraints. I'm hoping that the courts don't put up with the Dems' ruse, though.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:56 AM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Well, I never claimed there was a media blackout. I stated there is less of a deal being made about this ruling (compared to, say, rulings in Ohio or North Carolina, which went against Republicans). I'd say something similar about the Maryland case, which like this one also went against Democrats. There is coverage, but it's not to the same intensity (particularly on video news per what I've seen). I linked to two news articles, so I clearly don't think there's a media blackout
There is Gerrymandering across the country, I don't see the coverage of this any different than NC, MD, Wisconsin, Ohio. Both the NC and Ohio court rulings were also 4-3, which is equally bad for democracy, it should be 7-0.

I am against Gerrymandering regardless of party, every rational person that loves democracy should do the same.

This is a mess with all these court challenges, Section 5 of the VRA should have remained in place.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There is Gerrymandering across the country, I don't see the coverage of this any different than NC, MD, Wisconsin, Ohio. Both the NC and Ohio court rulings were also 4-3, which is equally bad for democracy, it should be 7-0.

I am against Gerrymandering regardless of party, every rational person that loves democracy should do the same.

This is a mess with all these court challenges, Section 5 of the VRA should have remained in place.
I see clear differences in how things are covered.

Still, whether someone is for or against gerrymandering, though, shouldn't guide expected outcomes in court decisions, IMO. Especially for NC, there is no state constitutional prohibition against partisan gerrymandering, yet the state supreme court essentially read one into existence. In short, I agree that NC at least should have been 7-0, but 7-0 in favor of the state legislature based on the above. This is a big reason this year's state supreme court races (for both NC and OH) will be huge. I think for both states they are using partisan markers for candidates on the ballot for the first time.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:42 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
This is a big step for a state that has a congressional district called the Bullwinkle District. We have this because the dems drew lines that actually look like Moose antlers to get every last dem and remove every last R from a district they needed to win.

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php...inkle_district
Considering the GOP had the State Senate at the time and the Congressional map was a compromise map, that isn't exactly the case....

Old 04-29-2022, 01:58 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
They pushed a little too much. Amateurish move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies