Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 02:35 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

I didn't see a thread on this new ruling yet, so starting one.

Quote:
New York’s highest court has struck down new district lines for Congress and the state Senate drawn up to political advantage by state Democrats with just weeks to go until the June 28 primary elections.

The issue before the Court of Appeals, which held a hearing on the matter Tuesday, was whether Democrats acted with partisan intent while violating the procedures established by the amendment, which tasked an Independent Redistricting Commission with drawing the maps.

“We answer both questions in the affirmative and therefore declare the congressional and senate maps void. As a result, judicial oversight is required to facilitate the expeditious creation of constitutionally conforming maps for use in the 2022 election and to safeguard the constitutionally protected right of New Yorkers to a fair election,” Chief Judge Janet DiFiore said in a ruling released Wednesday afternoon.

Republicans celebrated the decision, which belies Democrats’ many claims that they did not gerrymander the new maps for partisan reasons.
https://nypost.com/2022/04/27/court-...ess-ny-senate/

It actually shocked me at how brazen Democrats were in NY, especially as New York's constitution explicitly disallows partisan gerrymandering. They could have come up with a more constitutionally sound map and been able to stave off this ruling, which was a close one at 4-3. This is an exclusively Democrat-judged appointed court, too, for what it's worth.

From what I understand, the process for drawing the maps now goes to a court-appointed special master.

Note, only congressional and state senate maps were challenged, so this ruling applies to them and not to state assembly maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 02:41 AM

“I think it looks bad. I think we’ve got egg on our face,” said Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.), who is retiring from her Long Island seat next year. She was among some Democrats who questioned whether the legislature had overreached when it created a map so heavily slanted toward Democrats when the state constitution placed a check on gerrymandering.

“It didn’t need to be that way,” she said. “We could have made lines that were fair and followed the rules and still have been effective at making sure that Democrats are represented.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...-dems-00028753

Old 04-29-2022, 03:38 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
This is really bad. How much media coverage will this get? My bet is none.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:10 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
In general, the Federal Government stays out of the election process. Districts are drawn by each state. As a result, each states has its own ongoing battles as to who controls the pen that draws districts. Right now districts have been been in GOP hands in NC, Ohio and Florida and gerrymandered districts show it. Democrats now control NY districts for the first time since before World War II.

I'm not saying I agree with gerrymandering. Its not fair to the voting population. I am saying that that drawing districts is an ongoing political battle in almost every state and that almost every state has had laws and legal challenges to its laws on gerrymandering since the country was formed. In general, the power of the pen quietly draws away and those not in power, whine about it.

In other words, SNAFU.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:29 AM

1,213 posts, read 568,253 times
For now…

Old 04-29-2022, 04:34 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I didn't see a thread on this new ruling yet, so starting one.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/27/court-...ess-ny-senate/

It actually shocked me at how brazen Democrats were in NY, especially as New York's constitution explicitly disallows partisan gerrymandering. They could have come up with a more constitutionally sound map and been able to stave off this ruling, which was a close one at 4-3. This is an exclusively Democrat-judged appointed court, too, for what it's worth.

From what I understand, the process for drawing the maps now goes to a court-appointed special master.

Note, only congressional and state senate maps were challenged, so this ruling applies to them and not to state assembly maps.
Imagine for a moment just how corrupt they are in California if this has been exposed in New York?

Old 04-29-2022, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I was shocked at how little airplay this seems to be given.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:50 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Quote:

Sometimes it takes more than being spoon fed by MSM. It pays to do at least a little research and read. Consider the source. Look at more than one source. Use common sense.

Right now, Americans tend to look at the "news" from the one source they agree with and take it as gospel, when it rarely is.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:57 AM

I suspect we see way less of a deal being made about Democrat maps being struck down as impermissively partisan as it goes against the media and Dem narrative that the issue is one of the GOP

Old 04-29-2022, 05:25 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I suspect we see way less of a deal being made about Democrat maps being struck down as impermissively partisan as it goes against the media and Dem narrative that the issue is one of the GOP
Sure it's a regular media blackout. LOL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...wn-court-says/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/28/n...t-appeals.html

https://www.newsday.com/opinion/the-...uling-o7kc32fw

https://www.newsday.com/news/region-...-maps-bo149bg6

The bipartisan commission with 5 democrats and 5 republicans deadlocked, why is that a surprise. The legislature rejected their first map and the commission couldn't come up a second map and the legislature came up with their own plan which violated the process.

Their partisan version was most definitely Gerrymandered and the court was right to rule against them 5-4, it's problematic that 4 judges couldn't see past their partisanship to reject this latest map. But at least the courts are doing the right thing in having a master provide the new maps.

I hope that Hochul's running mate who is under investigation stays on the ballot, she deserves to have him remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies