Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 03:00 PM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Can some people not read or maybe their vocabularies are inadequate? “Adversely Affect” does not mean only applies to. Look it up. You’ll see.
Then why did she have to specify black? She could have left it as poor women.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:01 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well that choice may go to the states if SCOTUS thinks they overstepped their boundaries.....
....and they HAVE overstepped those boundaries, as Justice Alito explained in his leaked "Draft Opinion".

Roe is being overturned because it was a usurpation of the people's right. The right to decide the regulation of abortion by campaigning, debating, trying to persuade each other, and then voting for representatives (or ballot initiatives etc.) to decide how their state will regard the matter of abortion.... without affecting neighboring states who are doing their own campaigning, debating, and deciding.

The Roe decision took that away from the people, and instead imposed a court verdict on the entire country that the people could neither debate nor vote (for or against).

This decision in the leaked draft, returns the decision-making power to the people and the democratic process, where it belongs.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:09 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Then why did she have to specify black? She could have left it as poor women.
I don’t know. Ask the poster.

My point was that “adversely affects” does not mean only applies to. I don’t think there’s any question that poor women will be the group shouldering the preponderance of the adverse affects of the Draconian abortion laws some States are passing. Women with means can circumvent these laws while those without may not be able to. Canada just announced it will allow American women access to abortion services should they choose to do so. Few poor women in Texas or Alabama or Louisiana will be able to travel to Canada.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:19 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:

My point was that “adversely affects” does not mean only applies to. I don’t think there’s any question that poor women will be the group shouldering the preponderance of the adverse affects of the Draconian abortion laws some States are passing. Women with means can circumvent these laws while those without may not be able to. Canada just announced it will allow American women access to abortion services should they choose to do so. Few poor women in Texas or Alabama or Louisiana will be able to travel to Canada.
In addition to the usual travel expenses they would need to get a passport for $165. How many extra weeks would that be waiting for a passport to arrive?

Old 05-06-2022, 03:29 PM

17,427 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
In addition to the usual travel expenses they would need to get a passport for $165. How many extra weeks would that be waiting for a passport to arrive?
And get on a waiting list.

And pay for the abortion.

Maybe just get the abortion in America.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:29 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Abortion will continue to be legal in the US.
In SOME States.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:

Why would they go all the way to Canada? Are blue states going to ban all abortions?

Old 05-06-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Why would they go all the way to Canada? Are blue states going to ban all abortions?
Maybe the blue state clinics are all booked up with patients from TX, for example.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Abortion will continue to be legal in the US.
How far would you be willing to travel if you needed heart surgery but there were only 3 states where it was available? And they were fully booked for the next 5 months because they are trying to handle patients from 47 other states?

Old 05-06-2022, 03:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Interesting.

On the ScotusFocus website, the writer believes there were two leakers, and 3 total leaks of information.

The writer believes the first leak came through a conservative, and the second leak that quickly followed came through a liberal, and then there was another leak.

Interesting thoughts.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/05/h...have-happened/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies