Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2022, 11:43 AM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Yes, you can scream fire in a crowded theater. The original case that phrase paraphrases was Schenck vs US, which was mostly overturned by Brandenburg v Ohio.

Now, I do not support protesting at the homes of government officials, because it's pretty rude and likely to impact others that are not involved.

The actual words are not illegal but the outcome from you using those words have consequences and can lead you can be charged with disorderly conduct and incitement and much more if your words lead to people getting hurt... just like you can't scream bomb on a plane without facing criminal charges.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

On a side note: the "my body, my choice" crowd. Doesn't the fetus has any choice or protection whatsoever? At 30 weeks the mother can choose to kill an unborn baby? Because that's what Roe is all about.
Overturning Roe v Wade makes things worse than before for people against abortion. A state can go so far as to allow abortion at all times during the pregnancy. States will also have the power to put the right to abortion in their state constitutions. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see how far extreme other states will go in banning abortion, especially when people are given the power to decide how far by a vote.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:36 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You can still get a an abortion on demand up until birth in CO, CA and NY.
VT, too.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:41 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
VT, too.

Up to the the delivery date. Wow how is that not considered murdering a human at that point? Jeez some people in this country value the life of dogs and cats more than they do their own babies that they carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Overturning Roe v Wade makes things worse than before for people against abortion. A state can go so far as to allow abortion at all times during the pregnancy. States will also have the power to put the right to abortion in their state constitutions.
They can do that now. Roe V Wade never set a time frame as to when a woman can get an abortion. It just said that a woman's right to privacy is protected under the 14th amendment and that the state cannot restrict abortion pre viability. Babies have been proven to be viable as early as 21 weeks which is rare, but still happened. Many states have the cut off at 24 weeks. The 14 amendment argument in Roe V Wade is weak in my opinion. I also don't believe that abortion should be illegal, just limited to the first trimester. IMHO.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm a woman.

I don't feel controlled at all.

I'm strong and confident in my ability to take care of myself and my situations.
Good. Just practice what you preach regarding your own responsibilities.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:38 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Banning condoms or anything else does not force women to participate in unprotected sex.
Only a man who threatens, coerces or forces a female to have sex against her will 'forces' whatever he or others decide to do to her, including unprotected sex. That can (and has) result in pregnancy, STDs, bodily harm, and other traumas. Most men who commit sexual assaults aren't concerned with a potential pregnancy.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:47 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Only a man who threatens, coerces or forces a female to have sex against her will 'forces' whatever he or others decide to do to her, including unprotected sex. That can (and has) result in pregnancy, STDs, bodily harm, and other traumas.
Only 0.3% of abortions are due to rape. The idiotic notion that anyone is forcing pregnancy on women in the US is a complete farce.

98.3% of abortions in the US are optional abortions on demand, performed solely for the sake of convenience, and almost always because the pregnant woman neglected to use birth control even though she claims to not want to be pregnant.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:56 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Only 0.3% of abortions are due to rape. The idiotic notion that anyone is forcing pregnancy on women in the US is a complete farce.
Sex being forced on a female, that's the point. Pregnancy is not (typically) the goal, it's a possible outcome, and unprotected sex in such a situation is not the female's choice. Getting one or more STDs or other traumas also isn't the female's choice, and that can and does happen when a sexual assault occurs.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:17 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Sex being forced on a female, that's the point. Pregnancy is not (typically) the goal, it's a possible outcome, and unprotected sex in such a situation is not the female's choice. Getting one or more STDs or other traumas also isn't the female's choice, and that can and does happen when a sexual assault occurs.
You seem to not be getting the point. Only 0.3% of abortions are due to rape. Nearly 100% of the time, NO ONE is forcing pregnancy on US women, regardless of how hysterical the left gets.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:24 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Up to the the delivery date. Wow how is that not considered murdering a human at that point?
Colorado is more libertarian than people give it credit for being. Our voters have repeatedly rejected attempts to place limits on abortion access.

But there's another part of the story that is rarely told: from 2008-2015, Colorado offered free IUDs and implants to low-income women through a program called the Colorado Family Planning Initiative. As a result, the teen pregnancy rate dropped like a stone while the graduation rate rose. Unfortunately, the fund ran out of money and has not been re-instated.

Last edited by kj1065; 05-10-2022 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies