Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2022, 08:47 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'm assuming that one of the main reasons women have abortions is for financial reasons. They simply can't afford to have a child or have another child. If abortions were to be banned with the exception of rape and sever medical reasons would we see an increase in child poverty if women no longer have the option for abortions outside of those two reasons? Would this cause a need to expand the welfare state to help support all of these children living with struggling parents?
First off, there would be no national ban so we would have to look at things on a regional basis.

Most of the country would be within a "day trip" of a state that does allow abortion. This article has a map.
https://nypost.com/2022/05/03/26-sta...-v-wade-falls/

The Exceptions would be mostly the gulf coast and Florida and from there they could fly pretty cheaply.

I would expect that there will be a number of pro-choice organizations that step up and help women financially travel to other states.

So as such, I'd suspect that most of the people wanting abortions will still get them, it's just more difficult to do so. There will also be illegal in-state abortion options especially in a large metro like say Miami. *shudder*

Note: I'm not even taking a side here, I'm just describing what I see happening if R v. W is taken over.

P.S. I see no way that a state law forbidding travel to another state to have an abortion is remotely constitutional.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:54 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Poverty", is up to the individual!

MANY who grew up in poverty got out of it.

"If abortions were to be banned with the exception of rape and sever medical reasons would we see an increase in child poverty"

PEOPLE make the CHOICE to have sex.

They can get FREE birth control pills. The women can tell the man, use a condemn, or NO sex. If they CAN'T stop, medical procedures should be done on them to PREVENT getting pregnant.
So you want mandates to sterilize American citizens? Got it!

Old 05-12-2022, 06:59 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I'd think that the Treasury Secretary wouldn't wade into "social issues politics" without at least using data/research as their reasoning. I'd be wrong.
The Treasury Secretary should focus on her own priorities....namely, they wasted all the treasure in the Treasury.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Now you're just splitting hairs. What's the difference between life beginning at conception and a human being being formed at conception? So what that it goes through various stages of development? It doesn't change the fact that life begins at conception.
You can say life begins at conception all you want. But at that stage it is not a baby, doesn't look like a baby or anything else, has no heart, brain, lungs, or stomach, and has no sentience. It's an it.

This is why most people consider abortion ok in the early weeks, BEFORE it becomes a baby.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Would banning abortion increase self-responsibility, given that men generally and women specifically know they no longer have the "get out of pregnancy free" card?

Human beings are, in fact, capable of changing their behaviors.

Of note - abortion will not be banned in the United States if Roe/Casey are vacated. Yes, there are 23 states that are rumored to make abortion more restrictive should the SCOTUS do the thing, but that means 27 other states WON'T.

Virtual guarantee that post-Roe/Casey, if you need to be personally irresponsible and then have an abortion provider bail you out of the consequences of that irresponsibility, you will be within a few hours car ride of such a provider. And that assumes the 23 states everyone is panicking about actually banned abortion entirely.
Many are not within a few hours car ride of another state. If you live on the east coast where states are relatively small, you are used to a road trip that can take you through 5 to 8 states in a day. If you live in the midwest or west where each state covers a lot of land, it could take most of a day's driving to cover one or two states. Not so easy for a woman from Texas to drive to a blue state, for example.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
That argument appears to have been abandoned by pro-choice proponents. I remember having the discussion here on this forum and mentioned that whole "life begins at conception vs birth" and he/she pretended as if that was never even the discussion. I was taken aback. But then I later saw something posted online about how that position has been dropped as a losing one for pro-choice advocates and they are now focusing on the whole "nobody can tell a woman what to do with her body." This was a pro-choice article not pro-life. It made sense to me as you dont really see that "life begins at.. . " mentioned much these days.
It is both. An early zygote, embryo or fetus is not considered a sentient baby.

And ALSO

A woman has a choice about allowing something to grow inside her.

You have to be able to hold two ideas in your head at the same time. Some people have trouble doing that.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:32 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It is both. An early zygote, embryo or fetus is not considered a sentient baby.

And ALSO

A woman has a choice about allowing something to grow inside her.

You have to be able to hold two ideas in your head at the same time. Some people have trouble doing that.
A woman has a choice before engaging in sex.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:37 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You can say life begins at conception all you want. But at that stage it is not a baby, doesn't look like a baby or anything else, has no heart, brain, lungs, or stomach, and has no sentience. It's an it.

This is why most people consider abortion ok in the early weeks, BEFORE it becomes a baby.
No matter what you want to call it it's a human in the developing stages.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
A woman has a choice before engaging in sex.
After sex happens and she finds herself pregnant, it's too late for that argument.

Some people are very passionate and don't schedule sex by making an appointment on a calendar. I guess some other people don't understand how strong that passion can be.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
No matter what you want to call it it's a human in the developing stages.
But in the beginning it is not a baby who could live outside the womb, is it? It takes time to develop into a sentient human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies