Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 09:54 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Have you ever read the threads on social media dealing with the Israel/Palestinian issue?

The pro-Palestinians go way beyond confirmation bias. They will literally say ANYTHING, no matter how demonstrably provable it is to be untrue. They say things that defy all common sense. It is a cultural phenomenon that I have not seen anywhere else. Is it part of Middle East culture? I don't know. I'm not talking about statements that make you scratch your head and wonder. I am talking about seriously the most bizarre and outlandish statements you have ever heard in your life. They have about 50 different conspiracy theories for every single event. When so many people are living in such a complete fantasy world, how can we hope to combat "conformation bias" on this issue.

Please, check it out on twitter, Facebook, or TikTok and tell me that any reasonable, rational person would not agree with the statements I made above. Tell me how you think we can bring these people back to reality, so we can start worrying about something as comparably minor as confirmation bias.
Thank you, but I think you are continuing to miss the point of this thread, and yes I've been down this path a few too many times before to know how all this works. Depending on perspective...

I will just point our more generally regarding your comments, there is a long history that has lead people to the point of unreasonable today. Not to mention to the point of extreme violence too. We need not look to the Israeli/Palestinian problem to see how this sort of history and bias exists in American society today. I mean have you read the threads on social media dealing with Trump and his conspiracy theories? All our other home-grown American conspiracy theories?

The question is to better understand the source of these rather bizarre and outlandish statements never before heard anywhere. Perhaps more important is to prevent the bizarre and outlandish to distract from the more level-headed scrutiny and criticisms along these lines. The truths of these matters. There is plenty good enough to research, read and learn more in the realm of what makes sense before needing to spend time considering the bizarre and outlandish too hard or too long.

To me this is like pointing at the burning pizza box in a trash can during a protest over human rights to draw focus away from what's important toward the less consequential. "Keep your eye on the ball!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 01:06 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Have you ever read the threads on social media dealing with the Israel/Palestinian issue?

The pro-Palestinians go way beyond confirmation bias. They will literally say ANYTHING, no matter how demonstrably provable it is to be untrue. They say things that defy all common sense. It is a cultural phenomenon that I have not seen anywhere else. Is it part of Middle East culture? I don't know. I'm not talking about statements that make you scratch your head and wonder. I am talking about seriously the most bizarre and outlandish statements you have ever heard in your life. They have about 50 different conspiracy theories for every single event. When so many people are living in such a complete fantasy world, how can we hope to combat "conformation bias" on this issue.

Please, check it out on twitter, Facebook, or TikTok and tell me that any reasonable, rational person would not agree with the statements I made above. Tell me how you think we can bring these people back to reality, so we can start worrying about something as comparably minor as confirmation bias.
I am wondering how many pro-Palestinians realize that the USSR and the KGB are the source of "Palestinian Arab nationalism":
https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/9...n-palestinians

Old 05-23-2022, 01:37 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
thhh.

the left owns the media and the left calls Israel racist. so I dont buy what they are saying. .

Here is a simple fact.
1. if Israel lays down its arms and refuses to engage in conflict, they will be invaded and cease to exist. period.
2. If Palestinian's made the same commitment, they would get their own nation.

There are no other points that matter. Anyone on any side, that doesnt start from that perspective is a liar.
I agree with you; Israel is damned for even existing, much less trying to defend itself.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I agree with you; Israel is damned for even existing, much less trying to defend itself.
Is this another way to say that Israel is completely innocent of any wrong-doing?

Kind of an all-or-nothing sort of scenario way of thinking?

Then we wonder why these problems never end...

Old 05-24-2022, 10:12 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Is this another way to say that Israel is completely innocent of any wrong-doing?

Kind of an all-or-nothing sort of scenario way of thinking?

Then we wonder why these problems never end...
Israel doesn't go around "fighting" pizza parlors and discos. Should Israel have to fight with both hands tied behind their backs?

Old 05-24-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Israel doesn't go around "fighting" pizza parlors and discos. Should Israel have to fight with both hands tied behind their backs?
Are you going to have me ask the same question again?!?

I've got to sign off now, so maybe you can offer something a little better balanced and more in line with the point of this thread between now and when I return. Did you read my opening post and the comments about confirmation bias since then? How to better deal with the prevalent problem of confirmation bias?

If/when I should return tomorrow, it would be nice if we not swing too far left or right here. That's a good way to describe why this Israeli/Palestinian problem has dragged on all my life now...

Old 05-24-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
If/when I should return tomorrow, it would be nice if we not swing too far left or right here. That's a good way to describe why this Israeli/Palestinian problem has dragged on all my life now...
I am wondering if you are aware of the history of the problems which started with the mess the British made in the area with their conflicting promises to two different groups of people and continued with one group (the Jews accepting a partition plan in 1947/8) and the other group (the Arabs) not doing so. Without knowing the history and the facts it is hard to be give a balanced view which takes both sides into account in a fair way.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I am wondering if you are aware of the history of the problems which started with the mess the British made in the area with their conflicting promises to two different groups of people and continued with one group (the Jews accepting a partition plan in 1947/8) and the other group (the Arabs) not doing so. Without knowing the history and the facts it is hard to be give a balanced view which takes both sides into account in a fair way.
Oh yes, and thanks for bringing this up...

I have read a great deal of the history you are referring to, and no doubt to be as informed as possible about how the whole mess came to be is better than most people are willing to bother with. The issue of confirmation bias that this thread is mostly about is an issue that goes back to the beginning in spades! Considering both sides and/or all sides in a balanced, fair and peaceful manner has always been illusive to all parties involved.

An utterly embarrassing example of world affairs gone horribly wrong...

Old 05-25-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, and thanks for bringing this up...

I have read a great deal of the history you are referring to, and no doubt to be as informed as possible about how the whole mess came to be is better than most people are willing to bother with. The issue of confirmation bias that this thread is mostly about is an issue that goes back to the beginning in spades! Considering both sides and/or all sides in a balanced, fair and peaceful manner has always been illusive to all parties involved.

An utterly embarrassing example of world affairs gone horribly wrong...
I am glad to read this as many people seem to ignore this when making judgments about the Israeli-Palestinian Arab conflict.

Going back to the shooting of the journalist, here is an article that saying that scientist is claiming that she was shot by the Palestinian Arabs:
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/n...Y8BRNBC25MsUms

Old 05-26-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I am glad to read this as many people seem to ignore this when making judgments about the Israeli-Palestinian Arab conflict.

Going back to the shooting of the journalist, here is an article that saying that scientist is claiming that she was shot by the Palestinian Arabs:
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/n...Y8BRNBC25MsUms
Given the point of this thread and/or the problem of confirmation bias, the first question that came to my mind when I saw your comment and article, is a) is this not a seriously biased source? Then too b) why only this article and not any of the others? For example...

'They were shooting directly at the journalists': New evidence suggests Shireen Abu Akleh was killed in targeted attack by Israeli forces

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/24/middl...ntl/index.html

Israel has been lying since the very beginning. Palestinians and Palestinians alone will tell the world the details of how and why Israel murdered another one of their beloved daughters.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2...-and-videotape

Israel admits security forces may have killed Palestinian-American Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shireen...curity-forces/

Since any of us including you can easily Google for any and all articles about this subject, and/or to work toward what I call "triangulating for the truth," I wonder why you only passed along your one article. All of which begs the question, who to believe and why? In addition to being informed, it's this self-evaluation about our sincere desire to consider "all angles" rather than just promote one. My way of thinking any way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies