Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 11:25 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times

Advertisements

The man has been fired. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. I had heard about the post yesterday or the day before, but no story I saw reported on what he actually wrote. This article both quotes the post and also shares a screen shot of it at the link below. Dude has time to rethink his sense of humor now.

Quote:
A New York corrections officer is facing termination for posting a meme on Facebook mocking the Buffalo mass shooting victims.

Greg Foster II has been suspended without pay after he posted a photograph of a Tops Friendly Markets store with the caption: “Clean up on aisle 3, no wait 4, also on 7, 9, 12 and 13.”

“Too soon? This should weed out some FB friends,” Foster wrote with a laughing emoji at the end of the sentence.
‘Too Soon?’: New York Prison Guard Posts ‘Despicable’ Meme On Facebook Mocking Buffalo Shooting Victims

I suspect he was right about it weeding out some of his Facebook friends though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 11:36 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The man has been fired. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. I had heard about the post yesterday or the day before, but no story I saw reported on what he actually wrote. This article both quotes the post and also shares a screen shot of it at the link below. Dude has time to rethink his sense of humor now.

‘Too Soon?’: New York Prison Guard Posts ‘Despicable’ Meme On Facebook Mocking Buffalo Shooting Victims

I suspect he was right about it weeding out some of his Facebook friends though.
Well, technically it DOES mean 'freedom from consequences'...what would be the point in allowing freedom of speech, (but then allow for consequences to some speech?) That would be pointless.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:37 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
It is sick, but there are people out there who find this kind of crap funny. I don't think it's a political thing since these people can be all across on the political spectrum. Some people just have a sick sense of humor, and they often come right out and say it.

This type of meme would be considered mild for some of the crap co workers have shown me over the years. I would say it's better that they not work in law enforcement, but let's be real... There are some that do and they are not going anywhere. They catch a few, make an example and move on.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:16 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:

What an idiot, he might’ve gotten a written reprimand in a far away state but to post that whilst working in New York… That’s a special kind of stupid.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, technically it DOES mean 'freedom from consequences'...what would be the point in allowing freedom of speech, (but then allow for consequences to some speech?) That would be pointless.
It means freedom from consequences by the legal system.

No one thinks it protects you from people hearing what you have to say, and deciding not to associate with you anymore.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:49 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
He probably needs to be fired. You can't have people in that line of work making statements like that. (Granted it doesn't look good no matter what you do but in his case he's got a job that basically is supposed to protect minorities) But to me it's easy to fire him. I'm not all about going back 20 years and firing someone for something they said but he literally had to type out that. He knew what he was doing. It's not like he accidently said something and it was taken out of context.

Old 05-21-2022, 01:22 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:

In poor taste, no doubt.

But regardless of what your political views are.....

This is why you don't post in any public groups, keep your privacy settings as tight as you can and NEVER friend any co-workers on Facebook.

Old 05-21-2022, 01:25 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It means freedom from consequences by the legal system.

No one thinks it protects you from people hearing what you have to say, and deciding not to associate with you anymore.

You're confusing free speech as it's defined in the 1st amendment with the concept of freedom of speech.

They are not the same thing.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:

My background is Wall Street. The trading desks ( the people) could make a joke of anything and it would spread like wildfire. 9/11 was an exception because everyone knew people who did not survive.

This was before social media.

This background Teflon- coated me to take no offense and personally strive to make no offense.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:32 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Yes it is too soon. We are not talking about some Karen that had Karma come back to bite her or some fool doing something stupid and getting hurt or some thug criminal having his victim defend himself well, we are talking about innocent people being gunned down by some loser.

Yep too soon. I do not think he should have lost his job over the joke but who knows the rest of his background. Maybe he was a trouble making racist and his employer was happy to show him the door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies