Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 07:13 AM

216 posts, read 67,222 times

Advertisements

All of the slaves are dead. All of the slave owners are dead. Every human being on the face of the Earth has ancestors who suffered injustices and hardships and we should not be using tax money to pay one specific race of people for hardships that they never even experienced themselves. This is disgusting and we need to stop bringing up this useless and divisive issue and try to deal with the problems that people who are actually alive today are dealing with.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:31 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
The following is from the Sacramento Bee. It belongs in the Politics forum and I posted it there but was removed the same day, twice, because I failed, then made, unfavorable comments. The bold font is from the Bee.

Deon D. Jenkins is running to represent California in the U.S. Senate. He wants reparations for Black people who descended from people enslaved in America.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy

"Jenkins calculated a $3.1 million check for “money” by adding the U.S. gross domestic product each year between 1865, the year the Civil War ended, and 2018 — he said that reached about one quadrillion dollars. From there, he low-balled an estimate that at least 3% of people are Black descendants of slaves and thus accounted for that percent of the quadrillion dollars. He divided that amount among the population of descendants, which he approximated as at least 10 million people, to reach the $3.1 million per person with interest.
Subsequent checks would make up for inflation and changes in annual GDP. He said people would get about $60,000 yearly."

My main comment, and my point was that such a settlement would create huge resentment among the taxpayers who would be forced to pay for it. It wouldn't eliminate/reduce racism in our country - quite contrary, it would make it worse.
I have no problem with someone arguing with me or calling me dumb, but please let the discussion remain open for all.

My secondary point was that history is cruel and has many victims. Nevertheless, we can't go back in time, search for injustices, and present a bill like a plumber does after fixing the kitchen sink.

fine. But I descend from US first nation. So they get their check after I get mine FIRST. And it had better damn well be larger. And include gas points.

know this, Magua will eat the heart of the grey hairs if this does not happen!

Old 05-24-2022, 11:00 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
The following is from the Sacramento Bee. It belongs in the Politics forum and I posted it there but was removed the same day, twice, because I failed, then made, unfavorable comments. The bold font is from the Bee.

Deon D. Jenkins is running to represent California in the U.S. Senate. He wants reparations for Black people who descended from people enslaved in America.

"Jenkins calculated a $3.1 million check for “money” by adding the U.S. gross domestic product each year between 1865, the year the Civil War ended, and 2018 — he said that reached about one quadrillion dollars. From there, he low-balled an estimate that at least 3% of people are Black descendants of slaves and thus accounted for that percent of the quadrillion dollars. He divided that amount among the population of descendants, which he approximated as at least 10 million people, to reach the $3.1 million per person with interest.
Subsequent checks would make up for inflation and changes in annual GDP. He said people would get about $60,000 yearly."

My main comment, and my point was that such a settlement would create huge resentment among the taxpayers who would be forced to pay for it. It wouldn't eliminate/reduce racism in our country - quite contrary, it would make it worse.
I have no problem with someone arguing with me or calling me dumb, but please let the discussion remain open for all.

My secondary point was that history is cruel and has many victims. Nevertheless, we can't go back in time, search for injustices, and present a bill like a plumber does after fixing the kitchen sink.

I always ask, and get NO answers from the left, Do blacks get repartitions if their owner was also black?

How do we know today which blacks had black slave owners?

Old 05-24-2022, 11:02 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Without arguing in favor of reparations - for anybody - for any reason - I will point out the *difference* between Black Americans and: Ukrainians, Mormons, Chinese, Irish … Martians … et al … is Black Americans were violently captured, shackled and brought against their will, forced to stay under threat of death, and bought, sold, traded as chattel possessions. They did not voluntarily ‘enlist’, signing their own contracts to work for specified terms with freedom guaranteed as the end game to their voluntary labor.

Carry on …
"is Black Americans were violently captured, shackled and brought against their will, forced to stay under threat of death, and bought, sold, traded as chattel possessions"

BY OTHER BLACKS!!!!!

Old 05-24-2022, 11:07 AM

29,533 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Reparations should have been paid to former slaves back in the 19th century. At this point a little too late since most Americans living today didn't even have ancestors in the US before the Civil War but that won't stop some "woke" communities using taxpayer money to do so.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:20 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It will never happen. Reparations will be in the form of tax relief, student loan forgiveness or free tuition, no-interest loans or mortgages, low cost housing and insurance, and possibly a modest monthly stipend of a few hundred dollars at best. No one is getting 40 acres and a Ford F-150. Or checks worth tens of thousands or millions.
welcome to politics and other....

A topic is introduced. Most people including me chime in with the speculation without knowing the details.

IIRC, Sheila Jackson Lee had a bill to study the concept of reparations. Any reparations would be to people who can trace their line back to a slave. And reparations would be as a grant, etc. to things like you suggested. Nobody will be getting a check. And I suspect the study will have a lot to do with how families accrue assets over several generations.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:53 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:
It wouldn't eliminate/reduce racism in our country - quite contrary, it would make it worse.
reparations is not about "eliminating" or "reducing" racism, it's about paying a debt. And for some reason white people keep thinking they are the ones who are supposed to benefit from American slavery reparations. it's bizarro world hearing some of yall speak about it. "what do we get out of it?"...you've already gotten free labor out of black people for a few centuries, on top of various other insidious things.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Lots of people have been wronged in the USA throughout history.
Most of their votes are not for sale though.
This is buying votes plain and simple especially if you add in the fact that California didn’t own slaves of that color.
America has taken action to cut checks for other groups like Native American, Japanese, Native Hawaiians, even wrote checks for Holocaust victims for whatever reason, and actively writes checks for non-citizens like Ukranians...but when it comes to black americans that descend from slavery and jim crow yall all of a sudden wanna close the checkbook.

edit: and many of these checks for other groups go to their descendants. Especially native americans, let me take that goofy "nobody was alive" talking point off the table early.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
So let's acknowledge how the Blacks were initially captured was wrong. But after Lincoln freed them from slavery, they had a choice.

Either choose to go back to the homeland (Africa) or be given an opportunity to stay in the U.S.

It's about a CHOICE. After that, you create your own luck & fortune.
go back to the homeland that sold you into slavery in the first place. explain that to us.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
We are already paying reparations through Affirmative Action, minority set asides and racial quotas, all enacted to level the field and help minorities. Those are fair and if used correctly effective. Its way too late to pay the actual slaves so these are in place to help the slave's future generations.

Kind of a 'give a man a fish ...'
there have never been exclusive reparations for black americans. please stop repeating this false stuff about Affirmative Action or food stamps or quotas or whatever. Literally nothing has ever been done on a federal level EXCLUSIVELY FOR BLACK PEOPLE to repair what slavery and jim crow broke. White people, specifically white women ate good from Affirmative Action. White people made up 90% of welfare recipients for the first 40 years of it, it was created FOR white people. Black people were even excluded from the GI Bill. Blacks were excluded from things like the Homestead Act which basically handed out free land to whites in America. Do i need to keep going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies